X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETeller suspends shares, ex-directors held in U.S

Tuesday January 16, 6:39 am ET
    By Miyoung Kim

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. authorities detained two former directors and founding shareholders of NETeller Plc (London:NLR.L - News), the UK online money transfer firm said on Tuesday, adding it had requested the suspension of trading in its shares.

Stephen Lawrence and John Lefebvre were detained on Monday while traveling separately in the United States, NETeller said, becoming the latest victims of the U.S. crackdown on Internet gaming.

It said neither Lawrence nor Lefebvre had any current connection to the company other than as shareholders.

"The group has not received any communication or correspondence from any U.S. authority regarding this or any related matter," it said. "Pending clarification of the situation the board has sought immediate temporary suspension of NETeller's shares."

Shares in the Isle of Man-based company, which has grown fast with the rapid rise in online gambling, closed at 176 pence on Monday, valuing it at around 211 million pounds ($415.4 million).

The shares have fallen 60 percent since early September, hit by the arrests in the United States of executives from British companies involved in online sports betting and the passage in October of a U.S. law barring banks from transactions involving Internet gambling.

The passage of the U.S. law has led most operators to withdraw from the U.S. Internet gaming market.

"Today's news will obviously dent sector sentiment, however given that NETeller was the only company continuing to transact in the United States we think that any selloff in Playtech or 888.com shares could offer an excellent buying opportunity," Numis Securities said in a note.

Shares in online gaming group 888 Plc (London:888.L - News) dropped 2.9 percent to 125 pence by 1015 GMT and gambling software maker Playtech (London:PTEC.L - News) were down 0.7 percent to 277p.

Lawrence resigned as a non-executive director of NETeller in October 2006, having stepped down as non-executive chairman in May, while Lefebvre resigned as a non-executive director in December 2005.

Lawrence holds a 5.91 percent stake of NETeller through his vehicle Corvina, while Lefebvre holds 5.54 percent of the company via Eagle Medallion Fortress.

What's your take on that Monte?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
      What's your take on that Monte?
      Not really sure at this point, but I believe they will probably pull out of the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        Not really sure at this point, but I believe they will probably pull out of the USA.
        Doesn't NETeller have other affiliations other than funding off-shore gaming sites?

Comment

Glad i don't use NT

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
            Doesn't NETeller have other affiliations other than funding off-shore gaming sites?
            Yes, but i'm not sure how big that is

I do know that they have a lot of business with Canada, Europe and especially Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
              Glad i don't use NT
              I do use NT - but am happy to use something else. What is best - opinions?
              2010 One play a day record
              22-19-1 51%
              +0.74 units
              Passes: 7 days
              Streak: L2

Comment

Originally posted by larryonion
                I do use NT - but am happy to use something else. What is best - opinions?
                Western Union, but I think wayne uses EFT

Comment

Got to remember this though before everyone starts panicing.....

Neteller has a debit card available free, and their bank is out of Canada,

The US Banks will refuse the EFT's from Neteller meaning you can't put funds you get from a book into your checking account....BUT you can have your funds sent from a book like Cris to your neteller account.

It's a nice simple loophole...

You have a $1200 per day withdrawl max....and as long as you have money in there to reload if you ever need to...no money touches US Soil.

Comment

The US Banks will refuse the EFT's from Neteller meaning you can't put funds you get from a book into your checking account....BUT you can have your funds sent from a book like Cris to your neteller account.

You have a $1200 per day withdrawl max....and as long as you have money in there to reload if you ever need to...no money touches US Soil.

Get your ass in the service section and give us a winner tonight Your bears are still impailing my rectal cavity
                    Questions, comments, complaints:
                    [email protected]

Comment

Yes, but i'm not sure how big that is

I do know that they have a lot of business with Canada, Europe and especially Asia.
                      CNBC just reported that 95% of Neteller business is funding on-line gaming sites. They predict Neteller will pull out of the USA.

HELP ME Tom Cruise.......................

Comment

EFT's still work and I think the banks got around not having to monitor that. Checks come from a USA bank too for Neteller. Unless they changed the debit card its $1000 per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeytown
                          CNBC just reported that 95% of Neteller business is funding on-line gaming sites. They predict Neteller will pull out of the USA.

HELP ME Tom Cruise.......................
                          A lot of these site sponsors take other methods of payment. Moneygram, EFT, Solid Pay etc.

Comment

EFT's still work and I think the banks got around not having to monitor that. Checks come from a USA bank too for Neteller. Unless they changed the debit card its $1000 per day.

Yeah EFT's still work for NOW...but I believe they have a cut off date (i don't know what that is) to cut off funds that come in from offshore gambling sites...unless that has changed since the gambling bill was passed. I thought it was something like 250 days from the day the bill was signed or something...

But nevertheless, everyone that is panicing about this really doesn't need to...if you really really know the facts.

Things are changing...yes...but if your with the right books...and Monte has numerous ones there up top....your gonna be fine.

Comment

Yeah EFT's still work for NOW...but I believe they have a cut off date (i don't know what that is) to cut off funds that come in from offshore gambling sites...unless that has changed since the gambling bill was passed. I thought it was something like 250 days from the day the bill was signed or something...

But nevertheless, everyone that is panicing about this really doesn't need to...if you really really know the facts.

Things are changing...yes...but if your with the right books...and Monte has numerous ones there up top....your gonna be fine.
                              I was under the impression that banks got out of having to regulate checks/ETFs as there was way too many of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X