• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite Slump, Cubs GM Says Baker Is Safe

After Tough 2003 NLCS Loss, Chicago Has Struggled
    By RICK GANO
    AP Sports

CHICAGO (May 27) - Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Saturday manager Dusty Baker's job was safe in the wake of the team's jaw-dropping slump.

The Cubs had lost 19 of their last 23 games before facing Atlanta on Saturday.

After losing three straight to the last-place Florida Marlins, the Cubs suffered perhaps their worst loss of the season Friday when closer Ryan Dempster gave up three ninth-inning runs as second baseman Neifi Perez made two errors on the same play in a gut-wrenching 6-5 loss.

But Hendry said Baker, who is in the final year of a four-year contract, will get a chance to haul the team out of its slump and then manage it once injured players Mark Prior, Derrek Lee and Wade Miller are back on the roster.

"I'm hearing a lot every day, every time we lose a ball game Dusty is going to get fired," Hendry said. "If we lose three to the White Sox. ... and people are reporting the other day that Dusty was going to get fired after the last Marlins game. That's not going to happen. OK?" Hendry said.

"Dusty is going to get every opportunity to manage the club and get us out of this hole, and he's going to get an opportunity to manage this club when we get healthy the next couple of weeks also."

Hendry, who got a two-year contract extension in early April, will be the one who decides if and when Baker gets one.

"I'm the one in charge of that situation. Dusty knows the process I'm going to take, it will be obviously a continual process, but I'll do it at the pace I choose," Hendry said.

"But speculation that he would go because we lost three games in Florida or if we lost last Sunday to the White Sox is certainly not true and was never given any thought," Hendry added.

In his first season in Chicago, Baker led the Cubs within five outs of their first World Series appearance since 1945 before an eighth-inning collapse in Game 6 of the NLCS undid them. And they led the NL wild card in 2004 until another collapse, this one during the final homestand of the season.

But last season, again battling key injuries and some poor fundamentals, they slumped to 79-83. And after starting 13-8 with Prior and Kerry Wood on the disabled list to start the season, they have gone into a mammoth slump without Lee, who broke his wrist April 19.

Despite the struggles, Hendry said he and Baker have a good relationship.

"Speculation in the past that Dusty wanted out last year and was going to the Dodgers and was going to the Nationals, that was all totally untrue," Hendry said. "His and my relationship has been very solid from the time he got here."

One of Hendry's major offseason moves, the acquisition of leadoff hitter Juan Pierre, hasn't worked out so far. Pierre was struggling with a .230 average before Saturday.

And the fans are growing restless. Another offseason acquisition, Jacque Jones, has been booed often and was nearly hit with a baseball thrown by a fan from the stands earlier this month.

"I feel certainly responsible and I feel we are going to keep working as hard as we can until we get it right," Hendry said. "No fans in the world deserve to win more than we have. And when it doesn't happen, I look at myself first."

But many of the fans are looking at Baker, a three-time manager of the year while with the Giants, who took San Francisco to the World Series in 2002 and then nearly got the Cubs there the next season.

No one is taking the Cubs' troubled times harder than Baker.

"This is not a man who sits on his laurels. He was a heck of a player and has been a heck of a manager for a long time," Hendry said.

"I think people need to understand it's bothering him just as much as anybody who works here. ... It's a very tough time. He's got it in him to help pull us out."

Could you imagine how may people wish they had a boss like him??? I would not even show up for work and I would do better than that dead-ass

Comment

MIGHT AS WELL SAVE ALITTLE MORE MONEY AND can HIM AT YEARS END. wood AND prior are to be backlets see. if they dont pitch much this teamwas domed from the start anyway. BILLY MARTIN couldnt have gotten many wins out of this collection of sub par maior leagers

Comment

A public vote of confidence by Cubs general manager Jim Hendry did little for manager Dusty Baker in stopping his team's recent free fall.

The Atlanta Braves look to extend the misery for Hendry, Baker and the Chicago Cubs by completing a three-game sweep at Wrigley Field on Sunday.

With the Cubs - who have lost 20 of their last 24 games - in one of their worst slumps in franchise history, Hendry went public before Saturday's 2-1 loss to Atlanta to support Baker, who has been maligned as Chicago (18-30) struggles to score offensively and, more recently, has had defensive lapses in its current five-game losing streak.

'I'm hearing a lot every day, every time we lose a ball game Dusty is going to get fired,' Hendry said. 'If we lose three to the White Sox. ... and people are reporting the other day that Dusty was going to get fired after the last Marlins game. That's not going to happen. OK?

'Dusty is going to get every opportunity to manage the club and get us out of this hole, and he's going to get an opportunity to manage this club when we get healthy the next couple of weeks also.'

Baker has been without reigning NL batting champ Derrek Lee since late April with a broken bone in his wrist. Staff ace Mark Prior - who has not pitched this season due to a shoulder injury - is starting a rehab assignment this coming week and Kerry Wood only recently returned to the rotation.

Chicago extended its current skid Saturday as a botched relay throw allowed eventual winning pitcher Horacio Ramirez - activated from the disabled list prior to the game - to score the go-ahead run in the second inning.

This was one game after second baseman Neifi Perez made two errors on a relay throw that allowed the winning run to score in the ninth inning of Friday's 6-5 defeat.

Baker is hopping Korean rookie Jae Kuk Ryu (0-0, 9.00 ERA) can salvage the final game of the series in his first major league start. Ryu was 2-3 with a 3.16 ERA in nine games at Triple-A Iowa and scattered three hits in eight shutout innings Tuesday for a victory.

'Reports are that he knows how to pitch,' Baker said. 'He has three real good pitches he can control. The whole thing is can he transfer that to the big leagues with the same relaxed mode that he showed us can pitch the same way he did down there (in the minor leagues)?'

The Cubs have scored just 66 runs in their last 27 games.

Comment

Working...
        X