X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 50's, 60's and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
    carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
    lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
    rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
    hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
    actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but
    we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
    when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
    the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
    bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
    99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell
    phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
    rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
    made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
    We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
    the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
    had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
    actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
    and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
    DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And I am one of them!
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Ok Dimer and Bover ... Have your fun with this thread ... hahahahaha

Comment

Good Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
        Ok Dimer and Bover ... Have your fun with this thread ... hahahahaha

Joe, there to busy gambling right now. But come Monday, you're going to get it
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Spark, I remember all those things. My Mom smoked three packs a day and drank every weekend. All the things you had in your thread never hut us. But we rode our bikes everywhere, played (outside) even in bad weather. I could list a hunderd more things (and I'm sure you could too) that would kill the normal kid today.

GOD I MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS
          Today I will be Happier than a Bird with a French Fry

Comment

Originally posted by CheCheBoFumbe
            Spark, I remember all those things. My Mom smoked three packs a day and drank every weekend. All the things you had in your thread never hut us. But we rode our bikes everywhere, played (outside) even in bad weather. I could list a hunderd more things (and I'm sure you could too) that would kill the normal kid today.

GOD I MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS
            Hey CheChe, do you remember when you would always have your baseball mitt on your handle-bars when you rode your bike just in case you wanted to play ball?? Do you remember when the baseball fields where always jam-packed and you had to wait to pick teams because someone else was on the field ... Now-a-days the parks are empty and no kids in site .. Horrible

Comment

Spark-growing up in the fifties and sixties, everything you said rings a bell especially the part about putting the basball glove on the handlebars(and also carrying the bat and ball) and then going down to the "field" to hit some flies and/or shag some flies:those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                Spark-growing up in the fifties and sixties, everything you said rings a bell especially the part about putting the basball glove on the handlebars(and also carrying the bat and ball) and then going down to the "field" to hit some flies and/or shag some flies:those were the days!
                Yes Saavy .. Carry the ball and bat on the back of the bike on the springy holder .... hahahahaha

Comment

Spark-Besides hitting flies to one another, my buddy and I loved to play Wiffleball. Do you remember that-if you swung and missed you were out or if the pitcher(the other guy) caught the ball when you hit it(fly or fielded grounder cleanly), you were also out.
                  Singles, doubles, triples and homers were all determined by trees, fences and where exactly the ball hit them.
                  This is starting to remind me of an old Twilight Zone episode if you get my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                    Spark-Besides hitting flies to one another, my buddy and I loved to play Wiffleball. Do you remember that-if you swung and missed you were out or if the pitcher(the other guy) caught the ball when you hit it(fly or fielded grounder cleanly), you were also out.
                    Singles, doubles, triples and homers were all determined by trees, fences and where exactly the ball hit them.
                    This is starting to remind me of an old Twilight Zone episode if you get my drift.
                    Sure do .... We had those rules for fast-pitching also ... Throwing against the school's building .... Everyday we were there or at the park ... football season same way ... I played tackle football with no equiptment for years ... 9 guys on a side ...

Comment

We used to also play peegee ball(sorry if it is spelled wrong)-the same as wiffleball except the ball was the size of a golfball. Man was that sucker tough to hit!

Comment

I LOVED the 50's, 60's and 70's....

1840 was great too!!!!!!!

-Spark
                        Remember the three R's:
                        Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Here We Go!!!!!

Originally posted by Spark
                          First, I survived being born to a mother who drank while she carried me. GOOD THING CIGARETTES WERE'NT INVENTED YET.

They ate tuna from THE NETS OF THE 12 DECIPLES.

Then after that trauma, MY baby crib was THE DIRT COVERED FLOOR.

I had no medicine and no bikes. YOU GUYS IN THE 50's. 60's & 70's HAD IT MADE.

As a child, cars WERE NOT INVENTED YET.

Riding in the back of a HORSE AND CARRAGE on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the WELL.

We shared one drink FROM THE WELL with four friends and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate white bread and real butter THAT WE HAD TO CHURNED ALL DAY, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back BEFORE THE SUN WENT DOWN.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K. IF OUR PARENTS NEEDED US, THEY USED SMOKE SIGNALS.

We would spend hours building our BOATS out of scraps and then ride down the CANAL, only to find out we forgot the PADDLE. After running into the BANK and bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have TV OR RADIOS YET ..... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no DOCTORS TO EASE OUR PAIN.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. WE HAD NO CHOICE IN THIS MATTER.

We were given HOMEMADE SLINGSHOTS for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and ROCKS and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes. We WISH WE HAD bikes BUT HAD TO walk to a friend's house and knocked on the doorl, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League WAS SOMETHING WE WISH WE HAD, BUT WOULDN'T BE AROUND FOR ANOTHER 100 YEARS OR SO.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And I am one of them!
                          CONGRATULATIONS!
                          WOW Spark ... You had it rough buddy
                          Last edited by Lsufan; 03-19-2006, 09:36 AM.
                          "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
                          is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'"

Comment

Originally posted by Lsufan
                            WOW Spark ... You had it rough buddy

classic!

Comment

I remember getting up in the morning and grabbing my glove and riding my bike 2 miles to the park...play all until noon, come home for lunch and then back out until supper....always running and playing....everybody had PBJ sandwiches and MacDonalds was a treat which we went to maybe 4 times per year.....I remember learning to drive on a standard on the column.....in a rambler.....All i got when i graduated high school was a card and a handshake......paid for college myself....different era.....No video games, ipods, (we did have a tape recorder) or computers.....do not know if it was better, but i think we had to have more imagination and the kids were in better shape....When i went to school there was always 1 fat kid per class....Now over half the class is fat.....Back then kids wanted to be athletes....Boxing gyms were full, now they are empty.....If it ain;t easy and they can't succeed right away...they quit.....We had no sense of entitlement like they do now.....What i like now is i think kids have more tools to learn and i think the average kid today is more worldly......It also appears that the girls breasts are bigger and there is Girls Gone Wild....we did not have that!!!
                              Last edited by TwoTonTony; 03-19-2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X