911 tape: Dungy's son hanged himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911 tape: Dungy's son hanged himself

TAMPA -- James A. Dungy's girlfriend walked into his apartment Dec. 22 and found him hanging by a belt from the ceiling, a 911 tape released Wednesday revealed.

Antoinette Anderson told sheriff's deputies she returned to Dungy's Lutz apartment after a short walk and found her boyfriend apparently dead, the Tampa Tribune reported.

She cut him down and called 911, according to the tape.

Dungy, the 6-foot-7 son of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy, apparently was found hanging from a ceiling fan, sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter told the Tribune on Wednesday.

A sheriff's deputy arrived minutes after the 1:30 a.m. call and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Dungy, 18. He was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Carter told the Tribune investigators are waiting for toxicology test results before determining Dungy's precise cause of death.

Wednesday's release of the 911 call offered the first new details about Dungy's death since before his Dec. 27 funeral, which was attended by about 2,000 relatives, friends, and current and retired NFL players and staff. He lived in Tampa when his father coached the Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001 before moving with his family to Indianapolis when his father became coach of the Colts in 2002.

For nearly five minutes, Anderson talked to dispatchers about Dungy's condition and received instructions on how to give him CPR. The tape ends abruptly when, Carter said, a deputy arrived and took over trying to revive Dungy.

The call begins with Anderson, 18, telling a 911 dispatcher: "I think my boyfriend's dead.

"He's laying down on the ground," she said. "I don't think he's breathing."

She told the dispatcher she had found Dungy hanging by a leather belt and cut him down with a knife before calling.

About a minute and a half into the call, Anderson frantically told a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue dispatcher: "I thought I heard a heartbeat, but I can't tell."

About two minutes into the call, the dispatcher asked Anderson to rouse Dungy's roommate to help give CPR.

Dungy's roommate's name has not been released, Carter said, because it is part of an investigation. She said Dungy's apartment at the Campus Lodge complex has a common living room and kitchen area, but tenants rent individual rooms, similar to a college dormitory.

Attempts to reach Dungy's roommate or Anderson were unsuccessful Wednesday.

According to the Tribune, this was apparently the second time Dungy attempted suicide since moving back to Tampa last summer. On Oct. 21, Dungy was treated after overdosing on painkillers. Then, Dungy calmly told a 911 dispatcher he "was just being stupid" and had taken about 18 pills.

The tape of the December call ends abruptly after a dispatcher told Anderson to tilt Dungy's head back and blow two breaths into his lungs. "Do you feel the air going in," the dispatcher asked.

"No," Anderson sobbed.
    2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
    2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
    2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

I Sense Some Thing Irregular Here. The Gilfriend Had The Time To Cut The Belt Off Before Calling 911???either She Was Very Well Trained In This Situation Or Some Foul Play Involved. A Ormal Person Would Call 911 First Before Doing Anything Else In This Situation.
    Just My 2 Cents...

Comment

Originally posted by LSUMONSTER
      I Sense Some Thing Irregular Here. The Gilfriend Had The Time To Cut The Belt Off Before Calling 911???either She Was Very Well Trained In This Situation Or Some Foul Play Involved. A Ormal Person Would Call 911 First Before Doing Anything Else In This Situation.
      Just My 2 Cents...

are you kidding? I would definately cut the belt first.

Comment

I Would Cut Him Down First To See If He's Still Alive...then Call 911. Jmo

Comment

Originally posted by LSUMONSTER
          Just My 2 Cents...
          where the hell did this guy come from??? good to see you buddy
          2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

I Guess I Am The Minority Here. My Point Is That I Would Not Know What To Do But Call For Help First,lol...

Comment

Working...
            X