Good article on Cubs fans....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good article on Cubs fans....

This is pretty scary...cause in my case...very very true.

Cubs fans unbalanced? Well ... yeah

By Dave Wischnowsky
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published September 29, 2005, 10:44 PM CDT

On Thursday afternoon, hours after the White Sox beat the Detroit Tigers to clinch the American League Central title -- finally -- Tribune staff reporter Mike Conklin contacted an assistant professor of psychiatry at Northwestern University.

And to Dr. Robert Burton, the question was posed: "If a Cubs fan living in Chicago pulls against the White Sox, does it indicate he or she might be mentally unbalanced?"

To which this dyed-in-the-wool Cubs fan immediately thought …

Well, duh.

Of course, I'm mentally unbalanced.

I'm a Cubs fan.

I hardly need to root against the White Sox in the playoffs to reach that conclusion. Fact is, I was automatically diagnosed in the early 1980s when I walked through the turnstiles at Wrigley Field for the first time.

"Here's your complimentary Jody Davis batting helmet, kid. Welcome to a lifetime of misery. Go Cubs!"

Like peanut butter and jelly, crowds and Ikea, and Chicago and road construction, the words "Cubs fan" and "mentally unstable" go hand in hand.

When one of those hands isn't dropping a routine pop fly, that is.

I like to fancy the big "C" on the Cubs cap lying in my closet as being a red badge of "courage" (97 years of it … and counting). But I know it's much more likely that it stands for something else …

Crazy.

And I'm not the only one.

"There's a huge imbalance in Cubs fans," my buddy Ryan Gaines, a fellow Wrigley Field masochist, said matter-of-factly when I called him Thursday night, just to confirm that -- heck, yeah -- we're insane.

And darn proud of it.

"A lot of people -- you and I included -- can't make rational decisions," Gaines said, with a hint of pride, as he explained the plight of the 3,099,992 poor souls who visited the loony bin the corner of Clark & Addison this summer.

Ah, only in Wrigleyville is sickness a reason for celebration.

As for Dr. Burton's official opinion on the mental state of Cubs fans cheering against the White Sox, he said: "If the teams are not directly competing against each other, the idea of a Cubs fan rooting against the White Sox becomes a little pathological.

"Technically, it probably stems from some unresolved sibling rivalry kind of thing. Otherwise, you have to wonder what a Cubs fan has to gain by pulling against the White Sox. Not too much, really, unless it's to feel better about himself. If the White Sox lose, then they're both in the doghouse."

C'mon Doc, this is Chicago. When it comes to Cubs and Sox fans, misery doesn't just love company.

The misers openly root for it.

On both sides (although, I contend that Sox fans cheer against the Cubs harder than vice versa).

I openly admit, however, that I will indeed be rooting for the White Sox to stumble next week. Just like my White Sox friends -- all two of them (I'm joking! ... Well, kind of) -- openly cheered for the Cubs to fail in the playoffs in 2003.

I expected nothing less.

The way I see it, like the Hatfields and the McCoys, there's at least one thing Cubs and Sox fans can agree on.

Disagreeing.

Don't you agree?

Dr. Burton, though, apparently thinks we should all just get along.

But, really, what's the fun in that?

"A resolved sibling rivalry would let you enjoy the success of your neighbor, or whomever, and root against each other only when you're going head-to-head," he said. "Any kind of sibling rivalry is commonly referred to as arrested development. Then, you get history and other issues layered on top of everything, and it can compound things.

"I personally pay more attention to whichever team is succeeding."

Well, that would mean, most seasons, he must not pay any attention at all.

Oh, Chicago baseball ... you gotta love it.

What it is John is that the White Sox fans hate the Cubs ... Cub fans are baseball fans ... We love the sport ...

Are you pulling for the White Sox??? ...

Comment

I think it's very true that White Sox Fans HATE Cubs fans and are much happier when we lose rather then vise versa.

Cubs fans really care as much with the exception of the interleague classic...because it's pretty much a Cubs town. (which is the reason why the sox fans hate us so much)

Spark, I really couldn't care less. I do not like Ozzie guillen at all...I think he's a horrible manager...I dispise Frank Thomas...but he wont' be a factor.

It'll be very interesting if the Yankees have to play the White Sox...I might take up sewing and not watch a thing!

bwhahahahahahahahaha

What about you? Are you rooting for them?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
        I think it's very true that White Sox Fans HATE Cubs fans and are much happier when we lose rather then vise versa.

Spark, I really couldn't care less.
        Exactly ... I could not have said it better ...

Do I want to see them lose??? NO ... Do I really care if they win?? No ...

Comment

Right...cause you know what...when April rolls around, the talk of the town as always will be the Cubs.

White Sox are the red headed step child in Chicago. Hell, I think the Blackhawks get more support.

Comment

im a

DIE HARD cub's fan & i cant wait for the sox to lose in the first round ( hope for a sweep ) my mom was a sox fan & we always went at each other ( in fun ) it's like the red sox & yankee's , cub's card's , bear's packer's . how many think the whit sox are as good as there record ? i heard the sox announcers saying last nite that the AL CENTRAL WAS BETTER THAN THE NL CENTRAL ( excuse me i had to lose my cookies again ) if not for the NL west , i think the AL central is the worst divison in baseball . here is some unbalance for ya , a cub's fan rooting for the cardinal's to go all the way . im rooting for the yank's or the red sox in the first round . (oh ya i wrote this after a few one hitter's )

Comment

Originally posted by HOOTERGUY
              DIE HARD cub's fan & i cant wait for the sox to lose in the first round ( hope for a sweep ) my mom was a sox fan & we always went at each other ( in fun ) it's like the red sox & yankee's , cub's card's , bear's packer's . how many think the whit sox are as good as there record ? i heard the sox announcers saying last nite that the AL CENTRAL WAS BETTER THAN THE NL CENTRAL ( excuse me i had to lose my cookies again ) if not for the NL west , i think the AL central is the worst divison in baseball . here is some unbalance for ya , a cub's fan rooting for the cardinal's to go all the way . im rooting for the yank's or the red sox in the first round . (oh ya i wrote this after a few one hitter's )
              Sounds like the way my mom and I were also Hoot .. she was a die-hard WS fan .. we had so much fun going back and forth ... actually I am the only one with any sense in the family ... They are all WS fans except my son .. hahaha

Comment

ya

it was fun , i just wish she was here to see it . if she was around to see the bartman game , i would STILL be hearing about it . LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HOOTERGUY
                  it was fun , i just wish she was here to see it . if she was around to see the bartman game , i would STILL be hearing about it . LOL
                  I feel the same way Hoot ... I just wish she was here to enjoy it ... Hopefully they are watching from above buddy ...

Comment

Tat2

I'm sorry Rook, but something is just not right with the title of your thread.

The word "GOOD" and "CUBS" do not belong in the same sentence !!! :D :tongue:
                    "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
                    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'"

Comment

I lived in Chicago for a year and in that time got to see how the rivalry between Sox fans and Cubs fans truly was. One time when I was at a White Sox v. Red Sox game I saw two guys wearing cubs hats get jumped in the outfield seats by a group of 4 angry durnk White Sox fans. By the looks of the fight you would think these guys lived in the West Gaza strip! No lie I have never seen such hatred for another team for two clubs that are in the same city....amazing!
                      5* 0-0
                      4* 0-0
                      3* 1-0
                      2* 1-0
                      1* 0-1

God Bless America

To win :1* unit = $100

Comment

Originally posted by bwade210
                        I lived in Chicago for a year and in that time got to see how the rivalry between Sox fans and Cubs fans truly was. One time when I was at a White Sox v. Red Sox game I saw two guys wearing cubs hats get jumped in the outfield seats by a group of 4 angry durnk White Sox fans. By the looks of the fight you would think these guys lived in the West Gaza strip! No lie I have never seen such hatred for another team for two clubs that are in the same city....amazing!
                        and you thought we were exaggerating ... White Sox fans Hate the Cubs and their fans ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lsufan
                          I'm sorry Rook, but something is just not right with the title of your thread.

The word "GOOD" and "CUBS" do not belong in the same sentence !!! :D :tongue:

Another useless post!

Comment

Working...
                          X