X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet Buried Nearly 55 Years After His Death

By TOM COYNE, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Jul 16, 6:35 AM ET

SCHERERVILLE, Ind. - Pfc. Lowell Wayne Bellar was just 19 when he died more than 50 years ago during a battle in North Korea. On Friday, nearly 200 people gathered to finally give him a proper burial on what would have been his 74th birthday

"Guys always (swear) to each other, 'We're not going to leave anyone on the field.' Well, we know it happens," said Frank Darrington, a Vietnam veteran and commander of the Munster post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Bellar was killed on Dec. 1, 1950, when U.S. troops were surprised by a Chinese army assault near North Korea's Chosin Reservoir. The troops were forced to withdraw under fire, leaving behind many who had been hurriedly buried in shallow graves.

In 2001, officials notified Bellar's family that a joint Korean-American team had found remains believed to be his.

Joan McFall, who was 12 when her brother was killed, provided DNA to the Army on the chance it would help identify him. She was shocked when it matched.

"It was just unbelievable. I could not believe they found him," she said.

"We should be happy in one respect — that he's finally home — and sad in another sense," said Bellar's older brother, George, of Munster. "This is the beginning of some closure. At least I hope so."

A horse-drawn caisson carried Bellar's flag-draped casket a half-mile to his final resting place, where bagpipers played "Amazing Grace." A 21-gun salute followed, and three doves symbolizing peace were released in Bellar's honor.

Eliseo Castaneda, a Marine veteran of the Korean War from East Chicago, said he served in the Chosin Reservoir.

"I get a lot of satisfaction in knowing that one in our band of brothers has come home," he said. "It brings back a lot of memories. We don't want to forget about the people who died for our country."

That is an amazing story!
    Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

Makes you wonder how many more are still over there undiscovered.

Comment

Working...
      X