• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pope

A new Pope was elected today.

No announcement yet on who it is.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger/Germany!

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected the 265th pontiff today by the College of Cardinals. He was announced as tens of thousands of people cheered in St. Peter's Square. Ratzinger has chosen the name Benedict XVI, the Vatican announced. The announcement came shortly after white smoke rose from the Vatican chimney and bells rang to announce that a new pope had been selected.

:celebrate
    Last edited by OleBlueEyes; 04-19-2005, 12:51 PM.
    OBE

Comment

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger Of Germany Is The New Pope.
      He Chose The Name Pope Benedict Xvi. He Turned 78 On Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by LSUMONSTER
        Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger Of Germany Is The New Pope.
        He Chose The Name Pope Benedict Xvi. He Turned 78 On Saturday
        78? What do they want the guy to die before he becomes pope? They don't want their next pope to be pope for decades. I read they wanted an old pope.

Comment

I'm a white Catholic and I was hoping they would choose a black Pope.Maybe when we elect a black president,they will choose a black Pope.

Comment

They didn't want all the people who took the under 70 at +280 to win!! The Vatican is in with Vegas, it's a fix!!!
            "That ain't working, that's the way you do it... get your money for nothing and your picks for free"

Comment

Originally posted by phonepole
              They didn't want all the people who took the under 70 at +280 to win!! The Vatican is in with Vegas, it's a fix!!!
              2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
              2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
              2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

Comment

Wasnt the last pope like 57 when he was elected?

Comment

Originally posted by phonepole
                  Gary, you're right. It was fixed. Where's Savage? We need his input.

Comment

I believe you are correct BC. Pope John Paul was one of the youngest popes ever elected. My father was watching some documentary on the office and how it's elected and what they look for in the officals running for the job. He mentioned something about how they would rather elect an older pope simply because they are not around as long as the younger ones are and therefore there is a turnover with new rules and new statues. I don't understand this principals of the Catholics, but then again I never understood much that the catholics do.

~~~ Tigger

Comment

there have been three black popes in the history of the church. the first was the third one elected.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger
                        I believe you are correct BC. Pope John Paul was one of the youngest popes ever elected. My father was watching some documentary on the office and how it's elected and what they look for in the officals running for the job. He mentioned something about how they would rather elect an older pope simply because they are not around as long as the younger ones are and therefore there is a turnover with new rules and new statues. I don't understand this principals of the Catholics, but then again I never understood much that the catholics do.

~~~ Tigger
                        the reason for the older pope is that this is a tranistory period for the catholic church...John Paul II was very conservative and did not bend on many more modern issues (stem cell, womens role, homosexuality), many of which ratzinberger agredd with.......The catholic church although growing rapidly in africa has not grown in the US and we have a shortage of active parishnors and priests.......This pope will provide very similar views as Pope John Paul ii until the church can formulate a direction they want to take.....The negative of having a young Pope is that he has the ability to surround himself with his own handpicked cardinals ( i believe over 90% were chosen by JPII)....so this does not allow for much change for the church as a whole....

if you look back i history most popes were on the older side.....I am a Catholic and i too sometimes disagree with the church and do not understand it...many contradictions

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                          Gary, you're right. It was fixed. Where's Savage? We need his input.
                          Nah-this ain't the Florida of the 2000 Presidential Election;no hanging chads here(is that what they called them I forgot?);it was done fair and square.
                          Rumor has it that Loser Lawrence and/or Big Al had an 150-0 undefeated system going back 2000 years saying that the next pope would be under 70.
                          ps On the other hand how could it be 150-0 when there have not been 150 popes?
                          Last edited by savage1; 04-21-2005, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                            Nah-this ain't the Florida of the 2000 Presidential Election;no hanging chads here(is that what they called them I forgot?);it was done fair and square.
                            Rumor has it that Loser Lawrence and/or Big Al had an 150-0 undefeated system going back 2000 years saying that the next pope would be under 70.
                            ps On the other hand how could it be 150-0 when there have not been 150 popes?
                            My bad-I just read that there have been 265 popes(history was always one of my weaker subjects);thus I guess perhaps the two clowns I alluded to could have claimed a 150-0 if not 265-0 system in saying a new pope would be under 70.
                            Actually though how many people and/or popes even lived to be 70 over the last 2000 years especially prior to this century? Thus we have to take their systems with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                            X