• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classless BoSox Fans

Sheffield scuffles with fans at Fenway in Yankees' 8-5 loss to Red Sox
    April 14, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- Gary Sheffield kept his cool just as another confrontation between Fenway Park fans and the New York Yankees was heating up.

Sheffield was fielding Jason Varitek' two-run triple along the low right-field fence in the eighth inning of Boston's 8-5 victory Thursday night when a fan swung a short uppercut in his direction, appearing to graze the side of the slugger's face with his right arm.

"Something hit me in the mouth. It felt like a hand," Sheffield said. "I thought my lip was busted."

After Sheffield picked up the ball, he shoved the fan before throwing the ball back to the infield as two runs scored. Another fan's beer sprayed in Sheffield's direction.

"I tried to get his hand out of my face so I could continue on with the play," he said. "To get punched in the mouth, you don't expect that in a baseball game."

Sheffield then whirled around with a cocked fist, shouting in the face of the first man -- but restrained himself and did not throw a punch. A security official quickly jumped over the three-foot wall to separate the two.

"It could have been worse if I didn't hold my composure," Sheffield said. "I almost snapped, but I thought about the consequences."

The fan was ejected from the ballpark but not arrested.

"I guess there's always one idiot in the stands," New York captain Derek Jeter said.

Fenway hasn't been a friendly place for Boston's chief rival. The fans boo Alex Rodriguez, razz Jason Giambi about steroids and generally make life unpleasant for the Yankees.

"People here yell at you and throw things at you, all kinds of things all game long," center fielder Bernie Williams said. "But what that guy did was different, totally unexpected. It was dangerous and something should be done about it."

During the 2003 AL playoffs, two Yankees players were involved in a brawl with a Red Sox groundskeeper in New York's bullpen.

Relief pitcher Jeff Nelson and outfielder Karim Garcia were charged with assault but agreed to a deal last October that called for the charges against them to be dropped in six months.

"We have two great teams and two great baseball cities and a lot of emotion," Boston manager Terry Francona said.

The near-fight between Sheffield and the Boston fan Thursday night was the latest problem between fans and players at a sporting event.

On Nov. 19, players and fans exchanged punches in the stands near the end of a Pacers-Pistons game in one of the worst brawls in NBA history. The mayhem left several people injured and prompted a police investigation.

Last September, the Texas Rangers was involved in a fight with fans in Oakland, and Rangers reliever Frank Francisco was arrested after throwing a chair into the stands that hit a woman and broke her nose.

And on Sept. 28, Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley was ejected after he slammed a plastic bottle down in the front row of the right-field seats after a fan threw the bottle onto the field. He was suspended for the rest of the regular season.

Edgar Renteria's RBI double in the eighth broke a 5-5 tie, and Boston took two of three from the Yankees to even the season series at three games apiece.

Randy Johnson gave up three homers for only the 12th time in his career, and Red Sox manager Terry Francona and hitting coach Ron Jackson were ejected after questioning calls by plate umpire Greg Gibson.

Johnson left with the score 5-5 after seven innings and Tom Gordon (0-1) fell behind before getting an out. ****** Damon led off the eighth with a single and scored on a double by Renteria, who had made the last out for St. Louis in Boston's sweep of last year's World Series.

"We have to give Sheffield a lot of credit," Damon said, "for him to restrain himself the way he did."

After an intentional walk to David Ortiz, Varitek hit a ball down the right-field line that hugged the curved wall and led to all the trouble.

Varitek's two-run triple gave the Red Sox an 8-5 lead.

Sheffield led off the ninth with a double off the Green Monster and the Yankees loaded the bases before Keith Foulke (1-1) ended the game by getting Ruben Sierra to foul out to catcher Varitek, who made a nice catch on a difficult play near the stands.

Renteria, Jay Payton and Varitek all homered in the first four innings off Johnson.

"I didn't settle in until after," said Johnson, who allowed five hits.

Hideki Matsui drove in three runs for the Yankees with a single and a double as the teams wrapped up a nine-game stretch in which they faced each other six times.

The last time Johnson allowed three homers was Aug. 15 against Atlanta.

New York took a 5-4 lead in a four-run fourth, when Bronson Arroyo issued three walks.

One of them led to the ejection of Jackson, who was upset after Gibson called a bases-loaded, 3-2 pitch to Sheffield a ball. Francona rushed out of the dugout to argue and Jackson, who followed, was restrained by several Boston coaches.

Matsui followed with a two-run single and Rodriguez put the Yankees ahead with an RBI single.

Varitek's third homer of the season tied it in the fourth. But with two outs and a 2-1 count on Bill Mueller, a pitch that appeared to be low and inside was called a strike by Gibson. That brought Francona out of the dugout again and he also was ejected.

Francona returned to the team Monday from a four-game absence after undergoing tests for tightness in his chest that team physician Dr. Thomas Gill said probably was caused by a viral illness.
    Remember the three R's:
    Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

sheffield got slapped he is alittle bitch. Wasnt even closed fist. He shoved the fan. If this was in yankee stadium he wouldnt of even reacted thats how incidental it was.
    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
      sheffield got slapped he is alittle bitch. Wasnt even closed fist. He shoved the fan. If this was in yankee stadium he wouldnt of even reacted thats how incidental it was.
      Your right!!!
      It didn't happen in NY. They don't act like that...
      If it did happen in NY the fan would have probably been arrested....
      He shouldn't get slapped or struck in anyway in the first place....
      Remember the three R's:

Comment

It was an accidental touch. The fan was going for the ball. If this happen at another game no one would have heard about it. Totally blown out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by rwall
          Your right!!!
          It didn't happen in NY. They don't act like that...
          If it did happen in NY the fan would have probably been arrested....
          He shouldn't get slapped or struck in anyway in the first place....

Oh ok wally, I've been to that dump in the bronx many of times with my sox gear on. Been shoved, spit on cursed hat ripped off my head and stomped on. beer dumped on me. But hey thats classy yankee fans right??? The yankees fans fuckin boo derek jeter and mo rivera. WTF is that. They arent any better buddy. GET A CLUE!!!
          2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by moondog22
            It was an accidental touch. The fan was going for the ball. If this happen at another game no one would have heard about it. Totally blown out of proportion.

agree 100% steroidfield thought he got his mouth busted, well in the post game interview steroidfield didnt have a scratch on him. He overreacted plain and simple. Steroidfield should be suspended.
            2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

i am a sox fan and i do not think the guy was going for the ball....the ball was on the ground and he swiped 3 ft above the ground and then the other guy unloads a beer on his back...

i personally can not stand shefield but he showed tremendous restraint...

and lets not say thats how boston fans are.......fans across this country have gotten way out of had...regardless of affliation, so do not defend your fan base as holier than thou.....

fact is most fans of all teams are good fans....however there are assholes out there...for all sides

Comment

I am from Phila and hate the Yanks. However, I agree, Sheffield showed a lot of restraint. He had no idea if the guy was trying to hit him or not, just the fact that he was scraped across the mouth by someone in the stands.

I also would love to see the reaction of the National Media if this happened in Phila. If so, it would have been more of a story for sure

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
                  i am a sox fan and i do not think the guy was going for the ball....the ball was on the ground and he swiped 3 ft above the ground and then the other guy unloads a beer on his back...

You bring up two good points. The first is, I wanted to give the dude the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, the guy did swipe 3 feet above the ground.

Secondly, and most are ignoring this, that beer that was spilled on Sheffield wasn't accidental. THat guy with the gap sweatshirt on was trying to be sneaky and pour the beer on him. When it first happened, it looks like the woman's beer fell on him when he went after the other guy, but when you watch the replay, you see the guy in the gap sweatshirt slyly flick his wrist forward, thus pouring the beer on him. That was uncalled for.

Comment

Rwall, I seem to remember a game last year in Yankee Stadium where they had to pull the Sox off the field because the fans littered the field with debris after a bad call, causing a delay in the game. Let's see...last night, one idiot fan....debris on the field = MANY idiot fans. And take it from me, I am a New Yorker! To say Yankee fans don't act like that is somewhat shortsighted. It happens everywhere...it just takes 1 idiot!
                    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony

i personally can not stand shefield but he showed tremendous restraint...

and lets not say thats how boston fans are.......fans across this country have gotten way out of had...regardless of affliation, so do not defend your fan base as holier than thou.....

fact is most fans of all teams are good fans....however there are assholes out there...for all sides
                      Couldn't have said it any better!!!
                      Espacially the part about the fans getting worse.
                      "Sometimes it's not what you play, but what you don't play."

Comment

i agree with most here... There will always be some bad "seeds" that goes to the games but what can you do? Yankees, redsox, dodgers or any other team. But, they do need to do something out there in right field. The fans are way to close out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
                          Rwall, I seem to remember a game last year in Yankee Stadium where they had to pull the Sox off the field because the fans littered the field with debris after a bad call, causing a delay in the game. Let's see...last night, one idiot fan....debris on the field = MANY idiot fans. And take it from me, I am a New Yorker! To say Yankee fans don't act like that is somewhat shortsighted. It happens everywhere...it just takes 1 idiot!
                          I honestly don't think it's all fans and I apologize if it is perceived that way. But I do think it's different if you are going to compare throwing debris on a field and striking a player or throwing a beer on him during play.
                          I do think Sheff showed some class by restraining himself and whether or not you like the Yankees judge the incident on its merits, not what you think of the team.
                          Incidentally, the orioles are my favorite team. I am just calling it as I see it.
                          And inconclusion......(Just like High school, huh) I agree that in most cities you do see idiotic fans. And when Boston goes back to New York and Yankee fans do something stupid in return, this forum will be littered by the yankee haters calling for heads.
                          It's just supposed to be baseball, a game.
                          Remember the three R's:

Comment

I believe the field should be away from the players, at least high enough and far enough not to have what happened to Sheff. The owners want more seats and the greed takes over. I am for more protection of the players and not reducing or cutting out the beers, etc. that may be brought up as solutions to the problem.
                            "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Comment

Working...
                            X