Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Ricky Pay

Judge: Ricky must repay Dolphins
    Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Former Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams must repay the team $8.6 million in bonus money, a judge in Florida ruled Tuesday.

The Dolphins filed a grievance against Williams after he retired just prior to training camp this past season, claiming a breach of contract, and on September 25 of last year arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled that the former league rushing champion had to give back the bonus money he received.

The National Football League Players' Association asked the court in a hearing last Friday to vacate the arbitrator's ruling, but on Tuesday U.S. District Court Judge James Cohn disagreed.

"This Court recognizes that the default provisions of the Dolphins-Williams contract could be construed as valid liquidated damages or as an unenforceable penalty," Cohn wrote in his decision. "However, the Court finds that the arbitrator in this case was well within the scope of his authority in interpreting the default provisions of the contract in the context of the NFL's CBA and Florida law."

Williams had penalty clauses inserted into his contract when it was reworked two years ago upon his arrival in Miami. The clauses enabled the club to recoup incentive money and part of his signing bonus if he did not finish out the remainder of the deal.

"The Court therefore concludes that Williams and the NFLPA have not met their burden to vacate the arbitration award," Cohn concluded. "They failed to establish that the arbitrator manifestly disregarded the law, or that enforcement of the award would violate public policy, or that the award is arbitrary and capricious."

Williams' abrupt retirement in July was the first step in what turned into a dismal 2004 season for the Dolphins, who went from a 10-win team in 2003 to just 4-12 this past year.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner decided to retire just before training camp amid speculation that he would be suspended for a failed drug test.

There was also talk in early December that Williams wanted to be re-instated, but he instead decided to remain retired.

For his career, which has spanned only five seasons, Williams rushed for 6,354 yards and 41 touchdowns. In two seasons with Miami, he had 3,225 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns while also nabbing two receiving TDs.

Williams was first drafted by New Orleans with the fifth overall pick in 1999 and spent three years with the Saints before being traded to the Dolphins. His best season came in his first year with the Dolphins in 2002, when he ran for 1,853 yards and 16 touchdowns in 16 games.
    Remember the three R's:
    Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

How could he have possibly thought he wasn't going to owe the Dolphins anything?

A lot of pro athletes are FAR AWAY from reality.
    Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

"arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled that the former league rushing champion had to give back the bonus money he received.

The National Football League Players' Association asked the court in a hearing last Friday to vacate the arbitrator's ruling, but on Tuesday U.S. District Court Judge James Cohn disagreed."

Law must be different in Florida, because from what I know once an abritration is done that's it. If the NFL feels like it's wrong then maybe they should pay the $8.6 million and let Ricky Pot Head Williams keep his money.

The guy plays 5 years and would rather smoke pot instead of living out his contract. There's tons of guys out there that would love to play in the NFL that will or never made it. In my opinion this guy is a disgrace to the Dolphins, the NFL and all football fans.

Comment

Make the "cocky bastard" pay ! The guy single-handedly ruined the Miami Dolphins .
        Your body is a tavern, NOT a Temple !

Comment

guys all he wanted to do is smoke dope with the hommies lol
          rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

The stupid ass isn't even going to be elligble for a pension.
            In the NFL you need to play 6 years to be vested.
            Remember the three R's:
            Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

He'll play again. I'd be surprised if he never plays again.

Comment

If the PAckers pick him up I'll quit football forever ! Screw that loser ! Put him with Dallas, he can pick up right where Michael Irvin left off !!!!!!
                Your body is a tavern, NOT a Temple !

Comment

Wacco take it easy on my cowboys, we dont go for that anymore,remember Q Carter--found him doing a little coke and ship him away.

Comment

Working...
                  X