X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots Still Angry Over Mitchell's Barbs

Eagles Brash Wide Receiver Was Unavailable to Media Sunday
    By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Jan. 30) - Roll out the steel cage. Or maybe just invite Rodney Harrison and Freddie Mitchell to the "Jerry Springer Show."

The WWE-style rank-out feud between the New England safety and Philadelphia receiver has gotten pretty juicy. It's even overshadowing the Terrell Owens will-he-or-won't-he saga.

Anyone who thought the Patriots are too well-versed in this Super Bowl stuff and far too classy to get involved in a war of words with the Eagles a full week before the big game might need to think again.

The Patriots are angry about comments last week from Mitchell. The defending champions made it clear Sunday when they arrived in Jacksonville that they aren't about to ignore Mitchell dissing their secondary, particularly Harrison.

"When he says something like that," linebacker-lineman Willie McGinest said of Mitchell, "he's disrespecting our whole defense. Not only Rodney, but me and Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel and all the rest of us."

That Mitchell has been an underachieving backup for Terrell Owens hasn't escaped New England's notice. Owens, sidelined since Game 14 with torn ankle ligaments, probably deserves the spotlight as he attempts to get healthy enough to play next Sunday. He still hasn't practiced, but has been running and no longer has a limp.

Considering how the Patriots might be gunning for Mitchell in the game, maybe the Eagles need Owens more than ever.

But even if the All-Pro receiver returns - coach Andy Reid said he will be evaluated daily - he isn't likely to be a focal point of Philadelphia's offense. And he probably won't get nearly the attention from the Patriots during their media sessions as Mitchell will receive.

Or already has received.

"Maybe he was drinking before he started talking," Harrison said, "because that was clearly a mistake. No one in this league would attack somebody a week before the Super Bowl.

"I'm not really surprised because you're always going to find one jerk out of the bunch, just like (Mike) Vanderjagt," added Harrison, who also verbally feuded with the Indianapolis kicker during the playoffs. "You're always going to find one guy like that who wants some attention and wants to do something to try and stir up the emotions of the game.

"I don't need any extra motivation; I need something to calm me down."

Hey, Rodney, there's still six days before you have to suit up.

For the veteran Patriots to dive headfirst into such a fray is almost astonishing. Many of the Eagles recognize that. Even though this is the team's first trip to the Super Bowl in 24 years, they came across Sunday as the more experienced, resolute bunch.

"They were meaningless comments," Donovan McNabb said. "Freddie didn't mean anything by them. It's sad that people have to blow them up to make them into a story.

"Freddie apologized. If someone needs those comments to get up for a game like this, they don't need to be here. This is the Super Bowl, this is the ultimate."

The ultimate what? It was hard to tell Sunday.

Maybe Mitchell, who was unavailable to the media on Sunday, will take this oral spat a step further when he does speak.

Asked if he would directly address Mitchell, Harrison responded sarcastically: "What would I say? I don't have much to say. It's Freddie Mitchell."

Mitchell could be a key figure during the game itself, when everyone hopefully will be paying attention to the actual play, not the wordy by-play. Even with its banged-up secondary, New England has shut down opponents, and if T.O. is MIA, Mitchell must produce to give Philadelphia a decent chance for its first NFL crown since 1960.

The Eagles acquired Owens to get them over the hump of three straight NFC title game losses. While they scaled that mountain, they did so without the injured Owens, whose main role was as a cheerleader.

While team doctors have not cleared Owens to be on the field next Sunday, he's making every effort to play. Reid and his staff have been close-mouthed - isn't that refreshing? - about Owens' potential availability.

New England has its own health issues, with both starting cornerbacks out, as they have been for months, and All-Pro DT Richard Seymour's status uncertain with a knee injury.

But the Patriots have treated those absences as a non-issue - at least until Mitchell insulted them.

"We have a pieced-together secondary," said Troy Brown, the receiver-kick returner turned cornerback. "It's patchwork, but so what? It's a team sport. It doesn't matter if you know our name or not."

Notebook: Now, WR Mitchell Feels Disrespected

Brash Receiver Is Upset He Had No Podium at Media Day
    By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Feb. 1) - Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell fired another verbal shot Tuesday. This one, though, was at his own organization.

Mitchell said he was no longer speaking to Derek Boyko, the team's director of media services.

"I'm not even talking to Derek Boyko anymore because they didn't even have a podium for me," Mitchell said at the Super Bowl's official media day.

Boyko downplayed the comments, saying Mitchell was probably joking. But Mitchell, who loves the spotlight, appeared serious.

Eleven players, including just-signed backup tight end Jeff Thomason, addressed reporters from a podium, while other players were assigned a specific location in the stands.

Mitchell may have been bumped from his spot because he dissed New England's secondary last week. Known more for his big mouth than making big plays, the Eagles' other loquacious receiver - the one without the All-Pro pedigree and ankle injury - said he didn't know the names of most of the defensive backs. He also took a dig at Pats safety Rodney Harrison.

"I think they've been hiding me from the media," said Mitchell, who caught 22 passes for 377 yards and two touchdowns this season.

Later, Mitchell said only quarterback Donovan McNabb deserved his own podium.

Thomason, who played in two Super Bowls with Green Bay in the 1990s, was surprised he was set up in a prime location.

"My last two media days when I was with the Packers, I was over in the corner trying to get someone to talk to me," he recalled. "This is definitely a thrill."

Pro Bowl Reservations

Troy Aikman wants to do away with the Pro Bowl. He says most players feel the same way.

Aikman, who once was fined by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue for leaving the game after the third quarter, thinks the season should end with the Super Bowl. He will announce Sunday's game for Fox TV.

"Paul Tagliabue won't want to hear this," Aikman said Tuesday, "but nobody wants to play in the Pro Bowl. Everybody wants to be voted and go to Hawaii and be there. Nobody wants to play.

"I don't watch it. I don't know who watches it."

Aikman suggests holding a skills competition in lieu of the game, believing it will be more compelling for any fans at home who want to watch.

He said it's especially a difficult game to play in if you've just finished playing in the Super Bowl.

"Going to play another game is the last thing you want to do after a long season and the Super Bowl," he said. "And guys have been hurt over there."

Aikman nearly was injured in the 1993 game when he was decked by a blitzing Derrick Thomas - even though blitzing is outlawed in the Pro Bowl.

"It's a dangerous game to me," he said. "I'm not supposed to say it, but I don't know why they play it."

Snazzy Attire

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Simeon Rice and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle William "Refrigerator" Perry were among the celebrities posing as journalists on media day.

Rice was easy to spot because of the hooded black, white and gray chinchilla fur jacket he was wearing, and the Fridge was just as easy to find because he still appears to weigh close to 400 pounds.

Rice, working for the NFL Network this week, is a former high school teammate of Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb. Asked how far back he goes with the Eagles quarterback, Rice quipped: "Underwear and diapers."

Please Coach, Please

A reporter for Nickelodeon's U-Pick Live - standing on a riser and dressed in a superhero-type outfit featuring a mask and cape - spent nearly 10 minutes in an unsuccessful bid to get in a question to New England coach Bill Belichick.

Despite pleas from the masked man, Belichick continued to answer questions from others surrounding the podium where the coach was seated.

"How can you miss the guy in the cape," he said after one attempt to get Belichick's attention failed.

The man finally gave up when the coach didn't acknowledge one last plea: "Coach, people consider you a genius. Can I get a question in?"

Just Happy to Be Here

A month ago, if anybody suggested to New England's Hank Poteat that he could wind up playing in this year's Super Bowl, the reserve cornerback would have considered it a cruel joke.

But when the Patriots put Ty Law on injured reserve after missing the last nine games of the regular season, Poteat was signed on Jan. 10. The fourth-year pro was released by Carolina during training camp and was taking classes at the University of Pittsburgh when New England called.

"The Super Bowl wasn't on my mind. I just wanted to get back into the NFL. This is a bonus," said Poteat, who saw action in the Patriots' playoff wins over Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. "I'm just happy to be playing for a great team."

Global Attention

Worldwide media exposure is one of the benefits of being the host city for the Super Bowl. Sunday's game will be televised to 222 countries in a Super Bowl-record 31 languages.

In all, 17 television and radio outlets from 11 countries will be in Jacksonville to broadcast the game on site.

The NFL estimates a potential worldwide audience of at least 1 billion people, with the game being carried in Arabic, Basque, Cantonese, Catalan, Danish, English, Farsi, Faroese, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Greenlandic, Hindu, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish and Thai.

Worth the Price?

The official Super Bowl tour operator for both the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles is selling tickets to the game that, when included in trip packages to Sunday's game in Jacksonville, Fla., cost more than four times face value.

The Boston Globe reported Tuesday that PrimeSport International has been charging $1,099 for same-day airfare from Boston for people who already have their ticket. The identical package with an upper-level end zone ticket was $3,299. The face value of that ticket is $500.

The Eagles have also designated PrimeSport as their official travel partner, and their fans are paying even more.

Same-day packages from Philadelphia without a ticket are $1,199 per person; with a ticket is $3,629 - a difference of $2,430.

Prices can vary based on location of the seat, with the best available seats costing up to $3,500 more.

Kell Kelly, a spokeswoman for Beverly Hills, Calif.-based PrimeSport, said Eagles fans may be paying more because of higher demand, because the team hasn't been to a Super Bowl since 1981 and the Patriots have been to three of the last four.

Comment

Working...
    X