Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wannstedt reportedly will coach Pittsburgh

From staff and wire reports
    Dave Wannstedt apparently had a change of heart. ESPN is reporting that Wannstedt has accepted the coaching job at Pittsburgh, his alma mater, after announcing last week that he was not interested in the position.

Pittsburgh has scheduled a news conference at 3:00 p.m. ET. Wannstedt grew up Pittsburgh, played for the Panthers and has undergraduate and graduate degrees from the school. He resigned as coach of the Miami Dolphins in November.

Wannstedt told The Associated Press on Dec. 16 he wasn't ready to take another job — even one at his alma mater — and wanted to see what developed over the next few months.

Even after pulling his name out of consideration, Wannstedt promised to assist Pitt in its search and to talk again to Long. Once he did, Wannstedt's interest in the job apparently rekindled.

Wannstedt did not immediately return phone calls from the AP on Wednesday night.

Wannstedt stepped down as the Dolphins' coach by mutual consent Nov. 9 after a 1-8 start. He has since worked one NFL game as a Fox TV analyst.

After Wannstedt chose not to seek the job, Long met twice with Ravens offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh, the quarterback of Pitt's 1976 national championship team, and Pitt defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads. Long also interviewed Oklahoma assistant Bo Pelini, though Pelini apparently did not get a second interview.

If Wannstedt is Pitt's choice, he likely will make more than the $500,000 to $600,000 Harris made. Louisville signed coach Bobby Petrino to a $1 million-a-year contract Tuesday as it prepares to move into the Big East, a deal likely to elevate the salaries of other Big East coaches.

Ravens coach Brian Billick on Wednesday strongly endorsed Cavanaugh, who was offered the Pitt job before Harris was hired in late 1996. At the time, Cavanaugh felt he wasn't ready yet to become a head coach.

"There is no question in my mind he'll make an outstanding head coach," Billick said in a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters. "For him, it is coming home. He very much covets going back to the University of Pittsburgh. There have been other opportunities, other jobs I have suggested for him, and none have really interested him except going home to the University of Pittsburgh."

However, Pitt's hesitancy to quickly hire Cavanaugh — the school signaled last week it wanted to hire a coach quickly — may reflect his lack of head coaching experience. He was a Pitt assistant in 1993 but has since been an NFL assistant with the Cardinals, 49ers, Bears and Ravens.

"I have been very fortunate to work with and have some guys work for me that have gone on to become head coaches, like Ty Willingham, Mike Tice, Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio and Tony Dungy, and I think Matt Cavanaugh is as prepared to be a successful head coach as any of those gentlemen," Billick said.

Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller also highly praised Cavanaugh, saying, "He's really a player's coach, and I think the guys would get along with him and would really love to play for him."

Wannstedt also hasn't been a college head coach, but has coached the Dolphins and Chicago Bears and recruited as a Pitt assistant.

Harris was allowed to leave Pitt after eight seasons to become Stanford's coach, though he had two years left on his contract. Despite taking the No. 19 Panthers to the Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl against No. 5 Utah, Harris and Long did not get along and it seemed likely Harris would not return to Pitt next season.

Harris will coach the Panthers in the bowl game.

Wannstedt would replace Walt Harris, who took the Stanford job earlier this week.

There goes the Pitt program

Comment

Working...
    X