Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers would move Green, Penny to D-Backs

ESPN.com news services
    A three-way deal is in the works that would send Randy Johnson to the Yankees.

A source confirmed for ESPN that the teams are close to agreement on the principal players of a deal in which the Yankees would obtain the 41-year-old left-hander and send right-hander Javier Vazquez and two minor-league prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan, to the Dodgers.

Los Angeles would then send pitchers Brad Penny and Yhency Brazoban and outfielder/first baseman Shawn Green to the Diamondbacks to complete the deal.

A few issues must still be worked out, but those issues are not believed to be big enough to kill the proposed trade.

Both Johnson and Green have no-trade clauses, but the Big Unit has desired a trade to the Yankees for months. Green's former agent is Jeff Moorad, who is the Diamondback's incoming CEO, and it's expected that Green would also approve the deal.

The loss of several perks in Johnson's contract -- he gets tickets to Phoenix Suns home games -- would also have to be resolved. The Yankees are expected to sign him to a contract extension -- Johnson will make $16 million in 2005, the final year of his contract -- if and when the deal is approved.

Johnson was a Montreal Expos second-round draft pick in 1985. He signed with Arizona on Dec. 10, 1998, and won the Cy Young Award in each of his first four seasons in the desert. He finished second to Houston's Roger Clemens in this year's voting. Johnson also won a Cy Young Award in Seattle, where he played from 1989-98.

Johnson finished with a 16-14 record in 2004, but he led the majors in strikeouts with 290 and was second in the majors with a 2.60 ERA despite coming off knee surgery. In a season in which Arizona lost a franchise-worst 111 games, Johnson pitched a perfect game, passed 4,000 career strikeouts and passed Steve Carlton to become the most prolific left-handed strikeout pitcher in history. He ranks No. 3 on the strikeout list behind Nolan Ryan and Clemens.

Sox better get a pitcher fast....I love the line up, however, pitching wins in the long run!!!
    Joe Thorton for MVP

Comment

what about the braves rotation hudson smoltz hampton horacio rameriz [won 12 games} last year healthy and john thompson best top to bottom rotation in baseball bar none
      MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
      HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
      0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

AGREE! Atl should win another title and should get thru the first round I hope!
        Joe Thorton for MVP

Comment

yeah but pedro going to the mets will hurt the braves chances but i am hearing rumors in atlanta about a trade for sammy sosa we need another outfielder for charles thomas who we lost to oakland the last outfielder we lost to oakland was jermainne dye and he hit 35 hrs 3 yrs straight so hope it does not happen again
          MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
          HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
          0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
            what about the braves rotation hudson smoltz hampton horacio rameriz [won 12 games} last year healthy and john thompson best top to bottom rotation in baseball bar none
            Did you watch any of Thompson's games he pitched last year? The guy would get in jams all the time and get lucky to get out of them. I don't like him as a pitcher. Smoltz is so-so and I say that, because of past arm problems who knows if he can be a regular starter again and be effective. Hampton is just absolutely horrible since leave the Astrodome. Hudson is a good pitcher, but who knows what he will do in the NL. In my opinion though Hudson will be the Ace of that team.

And why the Yankees need Randy Johnson is beyond me as the guy is 41.

Comment

Working...
            X