X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury Update: Palmer Out

Bengals QB Palmer expects to miss Bills game

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (Dec. 15, 2004) -- Carson Palmer was still on crutches and resigned to missing the Cincinnati Bengals' next game because of a sprained left knee.

Jon Kitna ran the offense in practice, getting ready to make his first start of the season against the Buffalo Bills. Kitna was the league's Comeback Player of the Year last season, but hadn't taken a snap until Palmer got hurt Dec. 12.

"I know he's excited," Palmer said. "I'm happy for him. He's getting a chance. I and the rest of the team are completely confident in him, that he's going to go out and not lose a step from where this offense has left off."

The offense is performing at an all-time high for the franchise, putting together three consecutive 450-yard games for the first time. Palmer twisted his knee when he was tackled in the third quarter of a 35-28 loss in New England, which forced Kitna to finish.

Although coach Marvin Lewis was mum about his quarterback plans, Palmer said he would be shocked if he played this weekend. He will stay on crutches until Dec. 18 to protect a sprained ligament on the outside of the knee.

"It is looking bleak for this weekend, but right now I'm set on playing next week against the Giants," Palmer said. "The only thing that's going to pull me off of that is if they won't let me play."

Trainers told Palmer he would be taking a big risk by playing against the Bills on a weakened knee.

"It's not strong enough to protect it from completely ripping and tearing and having to go through reconstructive knee surgery and missing the whole offseason," Palmer said.

Kitna should have no problem taking over. He's more familiar with the offense than Palmer, who sat on the sideline as a rookie and watched Kitna lead the Bengals to an 8-8 mark.

With a week of practice, Kitna should be back up to speed in an offense averaging 35 points in the past three games.

"This thing has been running pretty good without me in there, so I don't want to go in and disrupt a whole bunch of things and try to put my personality on it," Kitna said. "This is Carson's football team. I just want to try to continue and be an extension of him and do the things that I'm strong at doing."

The offense emerged last season with Kitna, who threw for a career-high 3,591 yards and 26 touchdowns. Lewis elevated Palmer in the offseason, and he took every snap until Dec. 12.

Palmer had started to come on in the past three games -- a 58-48 victory against Cleveland, a 27-26 victory in Baltimore and the loss at New England.

"It couldn't have happened at a worse time for me," Palmer said. "I really felt that things were going in the right direction. I really felt confident and comfortable out there, and then boom!"

The loss at New England essentially knocked the Bengals (6-7) out of playoff contention. Five teams are ahead of them for the two wild-card berths. They need to win the last three games to finish with their first winning record since 1990.

Even if there's not much at stake, Kitna hopes Palmer will get to play again.

"To play in December is a huge thing in this league," Kitna said. "Teams start to get a bead on you, and you have to be able to adjust your game. It would be a great learning experience for him and for this team, for him to go and finish and have a chance to have a winning season for the first time in I don't know how long it's been.

"But I think he's done a great job and exceeded expectations. I think the organization is in good hands."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
Working...
X