Pedro confirms four-year, $50 million-plus deal with Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedro confirms four-year, $50 million-plus deal with Mets

NEW YORK (AP) -- Pedro Martinez confirmed Tuesday that he has agreed to join the New York Mets.

"I only hope to honor my contract and to fulfill the expectations," Martinez said on television in the Dominican Republic. "We got what we wanted. The team and I are happy with everything."

Martinez's agent, Fernando Cuza, told the Mets on Monday that he would attempt to work out a deal with them after New York guaranteed a fourth year, a person involved in the talks said on condition of anonymity.

The deal for the pitcher who helped Boston win the World Series will be worth more than $50 million.

"The bigger the contract, the bigger the responsibility," Martinez said.

Martinez said the sides still must determine the distribution of the money, and that he needs to pass a physical.

New York has not announced the deal, choosing to wait until an agreement is signed and the physical is passed.

Martinez had spent the past seven seasons with the Red Sox.

"My heart will always be with the Boston fans. I hope that everyone who truly loves me will still support me now that I won't be with the Red Sox," the three-time Cy Young winner said.

For once, the Mets and new general manager Omar Minaya snatched the spotlight from the star-studded Yankees across town by making the biggest splash at baseball's winter meetings, which ended Monday with many top players still searching for teams.

There were just five trades and seven free-agent signings finalized during the four-day session, but several clubs struck preliminary agreements with free agents that will be completed later this week.

Four agreements were finalized Tuesday: third baseman Corey Koskie and Minnesota ($17 million for three years); left-hander David Wells and Boston ($8 million for two years), second baseman Jose Hernandez and Cleveland ($1.8 million for one year) and shortstop Royce Clayton and Arizona (about $1.3 million for one year).

Richie Sexson and Seattle appeared to be working their way toward a deal, but the first baseman's agent, Casey Close, said Baltimore was still in the hunt.

"Nothing is conclusive at this moment. We'll have to see where this thing goes the next 24, 48 hours," Close said. "It's all speculative as to what people's perspectives are."

The agent for Carlos Delgado, another first baseman, held preliminary talks with the Yankees and was speaking to the Mariners, who told an agent they might try to sign both Sexson and Delgado.

The White Sox traded slugger Carlos Lee to Milwaukee for speedy outfielder Scott Podsednik, reliever Luis Vizcaino and a player to be named. Four free-agent agreements also were announced, topped by catcher Mike Matheny's $10.5 million, three-year deal with San Francisco.

Right-hander Esteban Yan agreed to a $2.25 million, two-year contract with Anaheim, right-hander Todd Jones finalized a $1.1 million, one-year deal with Florida and outfielder Wil Cordero got a $600,000, one-year contract from the Washington-bound Expos, who also agreed to a minor league deal with outfielder Jeffrey Hammonds.

As teams headed home, many top free agents remained on the market, including Carlos Beltran, Adrian Beltre, Magglio Ordonez, Derek Lowe, Eric Milton, Jason Varitek, Orlando Cabrera, J.D. Drew, Edgar Renteria and Moises Alou.

Among the deals awaiting completion were Carl Pavano's four-year contract with the Yankees, a deal worth about $39 million.

Minaya expressed confidence about the negotiations with Martinez, but wouldn't detail the discussions.

"The good news is that we're still in dialogue," Minaya said. "Every day that goes by and we are having dialogue is a good day."

Minaya then returned to New York, and the sides will work by telephone to finalize the contract language. Cuza did not want to comment on the talks.

Martinez helped pitch Boston to its first World Series title since 1918, but Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said he refused to increase the team's offer in the past two days.

"We wish Pedro nothing but the best going forward both on the field and off the field," Boston owner John Henry said in an e-mail. "He pitched with every ounce of his being for the Red Sox over the course of 216 games. Some of those performances were among the most memorable in Red Sox history. Who will ever forget the 1999 All-Star game? He has earned everything that he has accomplished, including his World Series ring and his reputation as one of the greatest who ever lived."

Martinez, 33, would join a rotation that includes two-time Cy Young winner Tom Glavine, Kris Benson, Steve Trachsel and Victor Zambrano. The Mets lost starter Al Leiter to Florida.

Boston's final proposal was a $40.5 million, three-year deal that contained a club option for 2008, a baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Red Sox thought the Mets' offer was for $56 million over four years, the official said, but a Mets official said that figure was not correct.

An agent who spoke with the Mets said New York's proposal was worth about $52 million.

"We put our best foot forward and made an offer that makes sense to the club," Epstein said. "We think it's a fair and generous offer."

Martinez's departure leaves the Red Sox to defend their title with a rotation that currently includes Curt Schilling, Wells, Tim Wakefield and Bronson Arroyo. Schilling said Tuesday his injured foot will not be ready for him to pitch by opening day.

BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox ace Curt Schilling said his right ankle isn't recovering from surgery as quickly as he expected and he doesn't think he'll be ready to pitch by Opening Day.

"I'm going to be late, I think, starting the season," Schilling told WEEI-AM on Tuesday.

Boston's pitchers and catchers are due to report to spring training on Feb. 20. The World Series champions open their regular season April 4 against the Yankees in New York

Schilling, who underwent surgery on Nov. 9, said he had a cast removed from the ankle last weekend and learned for the first time that he wouldn't be able to rotate his ankle for four to five weeks. That means he won't be able to resume throwing when he had planned.

"So I'm looking at least another month before I start throwing, which puts me a month behind," he said.

Schilling and team officials had said they expected him to be ready by spring training.

"There was always some uncertainty about it and there still is some uncertainty about it," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said. "It's several months away and it's very hard to calibrate with any specificity exactly when someone's going to heal and get in condition."

The right-hander had surgery to repair a ruptured tendon sheath on his ankle. The injury appeared to have ended his season in the middle of Boston's World Series run. But team doctors, in an unprecedented procedure, made a wall of stitches in Schilling's ankle to keep the tendon in place.

Schilling started Game 6 in the AL Championshp Series and, with blood seeping through his sock, beat the New York Yankees. Boston eventually won the series.

Schilling didn't elaborate on when he thought he might return and left open the possibility that he might be ready sooner than expected.

"Lots can change once it comes out of a cast and I get going and I know I've been a quick healer," he said. "But as of right now the timetable looks something later than Opening Day."

Comment

All of a suddent the starting pitching of Red Sox is getting thin... but I wouldn't feel bad see Pedro leaving... too much of a guaranteed contract... guy has shoulder problem.. doesn't look good IMO....

Hope Sox either get Hudson or Clement to contend...
      BEHIND EVERY GAMBLING MAN'S FAILURE STANDS A WOMAN

Comment

Hey Pedro..... SEE YA'! Take your mince meat shoulder and have fun in the N.L.

We will get more pitching and with Renteria signed we will be a better club come next September!

Besides, Who gives a shit, we won the World Series!

Comment

Working...
        X