Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees get serious

Pavano agrees to four-year contract; Wright deal pending physical
    Posted: Saturday December 11, 2004 7:30PM; Updated: Saturday December 11, 2004 8:59PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Carl Pavano decided Saturday he wanted to pitch for the Yankees, and his agent and New York closed in on a four-year contract worth about $39 million.

Pavano called his agent, Scott Shapiro, on Saturday morning and informed him of his decision.

"Number one, he wants to win," Shapiro said.

Anaheim, Baltimore, Boston, Detroit and Seattle also sought the right-hander, 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA for Florida last season.

Shapiro said his next step was to meet with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman to finalize an agreement. Pavano and Shapiro met with the Yankees in New York last weekend, and Shapiro was confident a contract would be agreed to.

"We have to really hunker down and have some serious negotiations to ****** out the deal," Shapiro said.

The Yankees expect the agreement will be worth about $39 million, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity, and the contract could contain an option for a fifth season.

New York also has a preliminary agreement with right-hander Jaret Wright on a $21 million, three-year contract, but there may be a hitch in the deal. New York is still evaluating his physical exam, the baseball official said, and hasn't determined whether he passed it or failed it.

Pavano had been wooed by the World Series champion Red Sox, with Curt Schilling inviting him to his home last month. A native of New Britain, Conn., he began his professional career in the Boston organization, and was traded to Montreal in the 1997 deal that brought Pedro Martinez to the Red Sox.

"The Red Sox are an incredible organization. Obviously, he's got a soft spot in his heart for them," Shapiro said. "It's been a real difficult decision for him. ... It's about Carl being happy where he's living and where he's playing."

Earlier in the day, former Yankee David Wells made a surprising decision to pitch for Boston, reaching a preliminary agreement on an $8 million, two-year contract with the Red Sox that could be worth up to $18 million.

In the AL Championship Series, New York became the first major league baseball team ever to waste a 3-0 postseason series lead, losing to Boston as its pitching collapsed. The Yankees have made reshaping their rotation a priority, and Pavano would join holdovers Mike Mussina, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown and possibly Wright.

New York also has been talking with left-hander Eric Milton, who wants a $24 million, three-year deal, and could bring back Orlando Hernandez.

Pavano, who turns 29 next month, has been probably the most sought-after of the top-level free-agent pitchers. In addition to New York and Boston, he also visited Detroit and Seattle.

"It was a long process, but Carl is comfortable because he turned over every rock, he gathered all the information possible to make a decision," Shapiro said.

Has he been tested for steroids ........or tapeworms??
    NSA's NBA Game Of The Year was on Dallas -4.5 on March 31. Orlando won 108-99. It was a cloudy day for Sonny LaFouchi.

Comment

We had Carl once and sent him to Montreal for Pedro!

Comment

They need to pass on Jared Wright as he sucked in the AL and only did half way decent at Atlanta which a lot of pitchers do when they go there.

Comment

sox will repeat

Screw the stankies...We got boomer who better for pregame clubhouse shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          wagerman

Comment

Yankees get serious again....They are looking to trade javy vasquez for AJ Burnett...From a yankees point of view, i have to like that IF it happens...Actually i would rather see Kevin Brown go and keep javy but having the lefty burnett would be a BIG HELP....What do you think yankee fans??

Comment

P Wright 3 years, 21 million.

I think George is starting to lose his mind. You can have him. I think they realized their mistake and failed his physical on purpose!

Comment

wayne...is it true he failed his physical....I know that they were talking about it but didn't know it was comfirmed.. I have to agree with you.. I have no idea why they went after wright??

Comment

Working...
                X