Artest Suspended for the Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artest Suspended for the Season!

NEW YORK -- Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday and two of his Indiana Pacers teammates must miss a total of 55 games for fighting with fans in a melee that broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, the NBA banned nine players from the teams for 143 games, some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

"The message the league sent was so powerful to players that they'll never do that again," Pistons CEO Tom Wilson said.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace -- whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the five-minute fracas -- drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

"I'm sick about that for Indiana. I'm devastated for them," Pistons coach Larry Brown said. "And we lost our heart and soul."

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

Ron Artest won't be donning his Pacers jersey for the rest of the season.(AP)
    All of the suspensions are without pay.

"We have to make the point that there are boundaries in our games," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "One of our boundaries, that have always been immutable, is the boundary that separate the fans from the court. Players cannot lose control and move into the stands."

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night -- began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

The NBA also has to "redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds," Stern said.

He added that security procedures in all NBA arenas will be reviewed and rules need to be added to prevent a repeat of what happened at Auburn Hills, Mich., on Friday.

For Sunday night's home game against the Charlotte Bobcats -- Detroit's first outing since the melee -- the Pistons doubled the number of armed police to about 20 in the arena and increased other arena security personnel by about 25 percent.

My jaw dropped when i heard this. I never thought they would do the whole season and with O'Neal and Jackson's Suspension's too, their just an ordinary team at best. Even in the East.

WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comment

I bet the guys that were riding the pine are happy
      "You like the odds of lightning?"

Comment

I was quick to pick up Fred Jones in our NBA Fantasy League. He scored over 30 in their first game after the suspensions. I feel like it could turn out to be a brilliant pick up!

Comment

Working...
        X