No announcement yet.

Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of aggravated manslaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of aggravated manslaughter

By JEFFREY GOLD, Associated Press Writer

SOMERVILLE, N.J. - Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of aggravated manslaughter, the most serious charge against him, but was convicted of trying to conceal the shooting death of a limousine driver at Williams' mansion.

Williams, 36, was convicted on four of the six lesser charges, related to tampering with evidence in the death of Costas "Gus" Christofi, 55, who was killed by a shotgun blast as Williams handled the weapon. Collectively, the charges carry a maximum penalty of 13 years in prison.

But Williams would probably receive a sentence of less than five years, the maximum for the most serious count. No date was set for sentencing.

The jury said it could not agree on the charge of reckless manslaughter. A scheduling conference to determine a trial date on that charge was set for May 21.

The defense argued that the shooting was accidental, saying a malfunction in the gun's firing mechanism caused the weapon to go off. Prosecutors contended Williams was handling the shotgun so recklessly that it amounted to a crime.

The shooting happened Feb. 14, 2002, while Williams gave friends and members of the Harlem Globetrotters a tour of his mansion in Alexandria Township.

According to testimony, Williams, who had a skeet-shooting range on his 65-acre estate, took a loaded shotgun from a cabinet in the master bedroom. He turned, uttered an expletive at Christofi, possibly in jest, and then snapped the weapon shut, and it went off, according to testimony.

Christofi was struck in the chest and died within minutes. Williams dropped to his knees and wailed, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" and "My life is over," according to witnesses.

Frank,

I saw that across CNBC a little while ago.

All I can say is what a crock of shit that verdict was.

He got tampering of evidence and that is it..geez...

:angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Comment

He was worried about his life? What about the guy he just killed. Is there a Civil suit filed yet by the family of the deceased?

Comment

"I was in that house that night in New Jersey and there were no guns going off in or around that house."

Baghdad Bob
        Wash. D.C. 8 sq. miles surrounded by REALITY

Comment

Working...
        X