The thrill is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thrill is gone

I was sad to learn that BB King died at his home in Las Vegas Thursday night. Not only was he one of the greatest blues artists of all time. He was the root of a tree whose branches include both genres and great artists. He was a heavy influence on artists like Hendrix and Clapton who were both early pioneers of hard rock and great blues artists in their own rights. I saw BB about 15 or 20 years ago. He was already past his prime at the time but I've been privileged to enjoy his music and the music he influenced over the course of my lifetime. I saw another of those he influenced, Buddy Guy, on a couple of occasions at the original Antone's in Austin back in the 80s.

RIP BB

(CNN)Riley B. King, the legendary guitarist known as B.B. King, whose velvety voice and economical, expressive style brought blues from the margins to the mainstream, died Thursday night.

He was 89.

His daughter, Patty King, said he died in Las Vegas, where he announced two weeks ago that he was in home hospice care after suffering from dehydration.

King of the blues
    B.B. King, the Beale Street Blues Boy
    B.B. King, the Beale Street Blues Boy 12 photos
    EXPAND GALLERY
    The Mississippi native's reign as "king of the blues" lasted more than six decades and straddled two centuries, influencing a generation of rock and blues musicians, from Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Sheryl Crow and John Mayer.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/entert.../bb-king-dead/

RIP BB King

Comment

I don't know how I didn't mention Stevie Ray! He would be right there with BB on the short list of best blues guitarists.

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
        I don't know how I didn't mention Stevie Ray! He would be right there with BB on the short list of best blues guitarists.
        I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's my Uncles asking me if I liked Stevie Ray and I was like whose that...lol

Comment

Legend!
          Questions, comments, complaints:
          [email protected]

Comment

Got the chance to meet B.B. King and was backstage at a couple of his concerts. Good soul....RIP
            [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
              Got the chance to meet B.B. King and was backstage at a couple of his concerts. Good soul....RIP
              A friend sent me this clip with a commentary..My favorite part was BB insisting to Bono "what we do is get somebody else to play chords. yeah, I'm horrible with chords..." in other words, If you want me to stand up here with you punks, I will only play lead guitar. I don't have time for anything else, thank you very much....

Comment

I loved the Man, have a lot of his records and he will be missed by all Blues lovers.
                Today I will be Happier than a Bird with a French Fry

Comment

Working...
                X