Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golfer's swing starts a 25 acre fire in California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golfer's swing starts a 25 acre fire in California!

Golfer's swing sparks 25-acre California blaze
    By Jay Busbee

You can use a golf club for all kinds of non-golfy purposes -- walking stick, fishing rod, club, to name three. And now we can add to that list -- firestarter.

Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock. Not so different from the way you play, right? Only this time, the impact caused a spark, and the spark set off a blaze that eventually covered 25 acres, according to the Steven Buck, General Manager of Shady Canyon Golf Course, and required the efforts of 150 Orange County firefighters, writes the Associated Press.

Wow. And I felt bad the time I shanked a ball through the window of a house too close to the fairway. That was nothing compared to this!

The golfer's name is being withheld, which is probably for the best, and no charges are going to be filed. Fortunately, it all could have been much worse. As it was, the blaze required both helicopters and on-the-ground crews.

The conditions were ripe for a blaze, with dry brush from a recent heat wave just waiting for the right spark. Like, say, one caused by metal on rock.

And now, your turn. This is going to inspire a raft of bad Sportscenter-esque "When we say he set the course on fire, he really set the course on fire!" jokes. So let's get ahead of the curve. Best bad golf-and-fire-related pun in the comments wins a round of applause. Go!
    NBA is a joke

Thats nothing,

I hear some of ToDaClub's swings start Earthquakes in North Dakota.

NBA is a joke

Comment

When Vols starts throwing clubs they sound just like Tornados.

NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
        Thats nothing,

I hear some of ToDaClub's swings start Earthquakes in North Dakota.

Good thing they get plenty of snowfall up there to keep the ground moist throughout the year

Comment

Thats nothing,

I hear some of ToDaClub's swings are so fast, it creates tornados.

Yea, I've really been trying to slow down my swing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToDaClub View Post
            Yea, I've really been trying to slow down my swing.

LOL,

KB says you are long ...........................................
            NBA is a joke

Comment

LOL,

KB says you are long ...........................................

Comment

I have been playing the last hole in the dark and see a spark off the driver on the tee box but hard to believe it could start a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                  I have been playing the last hole in the dark and see a spark off the driver on the tee box but hard to believe it could start a fire.
                  What kind of tee are you using???? Nails???

Comment

That's funny stuff right there

Comment

Come on club.You have never seen sparks from a driver.The fertilizer and the sand that is put down on the tees have little rocks.When you hit a titanium driver at night it causes sparks.You must not swing hard enough

Comment

Come on club.You have never seen sparks from a driver.The fertilizer and the sand that is put down on the tees have little rocks.When you hit a titanium driver at night it causes sparks.You must not swing hard enough
                        I don't hit the ground when I'm teeing off, slows down the swing speed and affects the trajectory!! Try it.

Comment

I don't hit the ground when I'm teeing off, slows down the swing speed and affects the trajectory!! Try it.
                          tee it high to let it fly,tee it low for more control. You will scrape the ground from time to time.Tee up 10 balls tonight and I bet you see sparks.

Comment

A 3 handicapper getting lessons from a guy on the internet.I will never live this down

Comment

tee it high to let it fly,tee it low for more control. You will scrape the ground from time to time.Tee up 10 balls tonight and I bet you see sparks nuts.
                              Um, no thanks, I don't roll that way, but whatever works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X