Text Messaging Question For Those With Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Messaging Question For Those With Kids

First of all I don't use text massaging myself-that is why I am asking this question.
    I requested an itemized call by call list from my cell phone company for this month-the original issue had to do with how many minutes my wife and I were using the phone and to whom we were speaking and how mnay minutes with each person.
    Anyways, the bill arrived and lo and behold, the summary also included the text messaging summary for my 15 year old daughter who lives with my ex-wife.
    Even though I pay a flat fee every month for this service, I was astounded to see that during a period of one month she sent 2618 text messages1
    My question is whether this is normal for a kid of her age or not?
    Do any of you have kids who have a cell phone which includes text messaging-if you do tell me if it is not too personal how old they are and about how many text messages they send in the course of a month.
    I know times have changed but to me anyways 2618 messages, which is over 90 a day on average(I assume to her friends) seems pretty excessive.
    All opinions are welcome here whether you have kids or not.
    Last edited by savage1; 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM.

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
    First of all I don't use text massaging myself-that is why I am asking this question.
    I requested an itemized call by call list from my cell phone company for this month-the original issue had to do with how many minutes my wife and I were using the phone and to whom we were speaking and how mnay minutes with each person.
    Anyways, the bill arrived and lo and behold, the summary also included the text messaging summary for my 15 year old daughter who lives with my ex-wife.
    Even though I pay a flat fee every month for this service, I was astounded to see that during a period of one month she sent 2618 text messages1
    Do any of you have kids who have a cell phone which includes text messaging-if you do tell me if it is not too personal how old they are and about how many text messages they send in the course of a month.
    I know times have changed but to me anyways 2618 messages, which is over 90 a day on average(I assume to her friends) seems pretty excessive.
    What is "text massaging" and will I go blind if I do it every day?

Signed,

Longnex
    [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

As a teacher I can say that this is probably normal to low usage. These kids try to text constantly when they aren't allowed to do it,,,just walk around a local **** and see the number of kids hanging out with their face stuck to their phone. No one is talking to each other rather texting someone else. It is really sad. But if people were smart, they would invest in hearing aids, carpal tunnel medicine, and skin cancer cures. Ipods blasting, while texting like crazy, while getting a fake bake, this is our teenage society.
      Let's Hammer the Book.

Comment

I agree with DBurgh---this is nothing for a kid...
        especially with half of the replies probably saying LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
          2,618 divided by 30 is about 87 per day.But in one conversation she probably replys 10 times so I would say that was near average.

Comment

my wife (She'd kill me) 574
            daughter (22) 2134
            son (18) 698

Comment

Savage, 2600 monthly is just warming up for most teenagers ... that is rookie class ...

1500 a month for me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
                Savage, 2600 monthly is just warming up for most teenagers ... that is rookie class ...

When I was a kid it took all day to carve one message into a piece of stone, most people just drew a picture on the wall in our caves

1500 a month for me ...
                So Spark, you are actually one of the original graffitti artists! Interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by ToDaClub View Post
                  So Spark, you are actually one of the original graffitti artists! Interesting....

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses so far.
                    I want to ask a followup question since Spart stated that he does about 1500 text message a month himself.
                    How many of you folks use text messaging yourself and how many text messages do you do on average a month?-also, if you don't mind my getting too personal, what are most of your text messages for-eg. work, fun, etc?
                    I myself do ZERO text messages a month on my IPhone and don't like to even type from it on chatlines like this when I can't use my regular comp. phone simply because I make too many mistakes, it takes me much longer, etc.
                    In short, how important do you folks perceive text messaging in terms of your own personal daily lives?

Comment

I just got my son (11 yr old) a phone for his b-day last march. The first month he had it he eclipsed the 11,000 mark...the second month he had it he fell just shy of the 15,000 mark. And considering you have to sleep for about 8 hours a day...and go to school for 8 hours a day...I think it's a pretty remarkable number. since the first 3 months it has tapered down, but it's still in the 9,000 range for the most part.

All I can say, is it's a good thing I had unlimited text messaging on my plan. I don't even want to know what that phone bill could have been.

I too text message...I range from about 600-1200 per month...depends what's going on.

I never use text messaging for work purposes...I think that it's somewhat inappropriate.
                      It's always noon somewhere!

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

just checked my bill---with three days remaining in the cycle I have 1993 texts for the month...so I guess I average about 70 a day which I have no idea why or would of thought it was that many.
                        I can't imagine someone texting 10000 a month.

Comment

Working...
                        X