Toyota? When will we learn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota? When will we learn.

After the drumbeat of bad news, all Toyota had to do was simply roll out a few meager incentives and it sounds like buyers are ready to bang down the doors of their local dealership -- whether the cars are eventually found defective or not.

Edmunds.com says Toyota's announcement of zero-percent financing and special lease deals earlier this week generated nearly a 40% spike in purchase intent, as measured by visits to the car-buying website. In January, Toyota's purchase intent averaged just over 13% and then fell to a 9.7% low as a result of the recall announcements. On March 1, Toyota purchase intent had recovered to 13%, then it soared an additional 5 percentage points in a single day after the incentives were announced.

"The Toyota recall saga allowed other automakers to snag some market share, and now Toyota wants it back," said George Kang, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. "Despite their ongoing challenges, the company still has plenty of brand strength and consumer confidence."

I understand some are made here and people need to make money but this is not an american company. The bottom line is there profits get sent back to Japan. I guess I'm tired of all the foreign recalls and the small slaps on the hands. People have died and Toyota came out and said even with the recalls the problem might not be fixed. Wow what a statement for that company. Can't wait to go buy an new Toyota that might not stop. As I'm at that I might as well go buy some toys that are laced with lead base paint from China.

Sorry for the rant guys, I must be tired.

Originally posted by FATCAT View Post
    After the drumbeat of bad news, all Toyota had to do was simply roll out a few meager incentives and it sounds like buyers are ready to bang down the doors of their local dealership -- whether the cars are eventually found defective or not.

Edmunds.com says Toyota's announcement of zero-percent financing and special lease deals earlier this week generated nearly a 40% spike in purchase intent, as measured by visits to the car-buying website. In January, Toyota's purchase intent averaged just over 13% and then fell to a 9.7% low as a result of the recall announcements. On March 1, Toyota purchase intent had recovered to 13%, then it soared an additional 5 percentage points in a single day after the incentives were announced.

"The Toyota recall saga allowed other automakers to snag some market share, and now Toyota wants it back," said George Kang, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. "Despite their ongoing challenges, the company still has plenty of brand strength and consumer confidence."

I understand some are made here and people need to make money but this is not an american company. The bottom line is there profits get sent back to Japan. I guess I'm tired of all the foreign recalls and the small slaps on the hands. People have died and Toyota came out and said even with the recalls the problem might not be fixed. Wow what a statement for that company. Can't wait to go buy an new Toyota that might not stop. As I'm at that I might as well go buy some toys that are laced with lead base paint from China.

Sorry for the rant guys, I must be tired.
    I'll agree with you to some extent, I love this country as much or more as the next guy. However, as an one time owner of a Ford Explorer, I'll never buy from Ford again. Ford had a very well known transmission problem with the newer model Ford Explorers that first come out in 2002. The 2002, 2003, and maybe even 2004 Explorers had major transmission problems that they were well aware (google it, it is easy to read about) but did nothing about it. My Explorer had 50k miles on it when I had to replace the transmission to the tune of $2600. 50k miles and transmission goes out! Again, Ford was well aware of the problem but despite pushing it as far as I could they basically told me to suck it. On the flipside, my wife had a Honda Oddysey that also had transmission problems (I know, we suck). Her van had about 75K miles on it, double the warranty period, and they too were well aware of the transmission issues. It took one phone call for Honda to step up and give us a new transmission with no hassle. Exact same problem, Ford costs me $2600 and the Honda cost me $0.

Every company is going to have isues from time to time. The mark of a good company is how the respond.

As far as the Toyota thing, people are always looking for deals, plain and simple. Toyota almost never has had to offer 0% b/c their cars were so popular. I think a lot of people also think that the latest recall produces the safeest product b/c the company has to go over the top the other way in order to avoid a second PR nightmare. Example I've heard people use is an airline crash. When one airline company has a crash the thought is that company is being more scrutinized than any other company out there, arguably making their product the most safe b/c they sinply can't afford to have a second disaster happen.
    Last edited by harold_bush; 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Now its the run away Prius!

Sorry about your trans problem 8 years ago that money sucks but when it comes to losing your life why are people taking the chance. Things have changed a ton in the last 8 yrs and when Consumer Reports came out a year ago and apologized for giving Toyota a pass over the years based on there reputation it should of raised a few eyebrows. Statefarm also reported in 2006 or 07 that the had a lot of reports of brake failing on Toyota's but there were NO investigations.
      I also read an article on MSN that Toyota has alot of high powered people in Washington that either have interest or have made a lot of money on Toyota that have been squashing a lot of these stories.

msnbc.com Video Player

Comment

Someone got killed in a 2005 camry up in Michigan that is suing and that car isn't all the recall list. So who knows how far back these recalls go.

Comment

Yeah I've also heard that a man was sent to jail for killing 3 people while they were walking the man claimed at the time his breaks stuck in his Toyota. They are now looking into his story more. Its just scary.
          I remember back when Ford had the deal with Bridgestone tires and there was a warning that if your driving at high speed and make a sharp turn that your tires could blow. People wanted to close the doors of Ford. That was the tire. Toyota came out and said it was a floor mat problem and then when investigating reports of sticky brake pedals the cars didn't even have floor mats What ever your reason for buying a Toyota now I hope people think it through. Is 0 percent financining worth it? Don't think so.

Comment

Working...
          X