Excerpt: Betting my last dollar on a horse LARRY KING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excerpt: Betting my last dollar on a horse LARRY KING

Editor's note: Below is an excerpt from Larry King's autobiography, "My Remarkable Journey," published by Weinstein Books and available at bookstores nationwide. Larry King anchors "Larry King Live at 9 p.m. ET on CNN.

Larry King recalls a much-needed win at the track during one of the lowest points of his life.

I was thirty-seven years old. (In 1971). I had no job. I had a couple hundred thousand dollars in debts. And a four-year-old daughter. I'd take Chaia to our secret park on our visiting days. That's when the pain cut the deepest -- looking at my daughter and knowing I had no way to support her.

Things got bleaker and bleaker. I became a recluse. By late May, I was down to forty-two dollars. My rent was paid only until the end of the month. I locked myself in my apartment wondering how bad things could possibly get. Pretty soon I wouldn't even be able to afford cigarettes. I remembered a night when I was a young man in New York, alone, cold, and without cigarettes or the money to buy them -- I had smashed open a vending machine to get a pack.

A friend called up and told me to start living like a human being again. He invited me to the track. I had nothing better to do, and I figured it would be good therapy to get out and have lunch with a friend and watch the horses come down the stretch.

I'll never forget that day. I put on a Pierre Cardin jeans outfit that had no pockets and drove to Calder Race Course. I can still see the horses warming up before the third race. There was a horse called Lady Forli -- a filly running against males.

Normally, female horses don't beat males. We're talking cheap horses. I scanned the board and saw that she was 70-1. But my eyes really opened when I looked at the racing form. Racetrack people talk to each other. So I turned to the guy next to me and said, "You know, this horse, three races back, won in more or less the same company. Why is she 70-1?"

"Well," the guy said, "there's a couple of new horses here."

"Yeah, but she should be, like, 20-1. Not 70--1."

Screw it. I bet ten dollars on the horse to win. But I kept looking at the horse. The more I looked at this horse, the more I liked it. So I bet exactas. I bet Lady Forli on top of every other horse and below every other horse. Now I had what's called a wheel.

I kept looking at the horse. Wait a minute, I told myself, I've got four dollars left. I have a pack of cigarettes. I've gotta give the valet two bucks. That still leaves me with money to bet a trifecta.

My birthday is November 19. Lady Forli was number 11. So I bet 11 to win, 1 to place, and 9 to show.

Now I had bets in for 11 on top, 11 on bottom, and 11 to win. And I had a trifecta -- 11-1-9.

When the race began, I had two dollars left to my name -- and that was for the valet.

They broke out of the gate. The 1 broke on top, the 9 ran second, and the 11 came out third. The 11 passed the 9, passed the 1, and they ran in a straight line all around the track. There was no question about it. The 11 won by five lengths. The 1 was three lengths ahead of the 9. I had every winning ticket. I had it to win. I had the exacta. I had the trifecta. I collected nearly eight thousand dollars. Eight thousand dollars!

It had to be one of the happiest moments of my life -- certainly the most exciting. But I had no pockets.

So I stuffed all the money in my jacket. It was bundled up. I didn't know what to do with it. I ran out of the track. The valet attendant came over and said, "You leaving so early?"

"Yeah."

"Bad day, Mr. King?"

I tipped him fifty dollars. The guy nearly fainted.

I had to go somewhere, to stop and make sure it was real. I drove to a vacant lot, which is now called Dolphin Stadium. I parked among the weeds and opened up my jacket. All the money spilled out. I counted out about seventy-nine hundred dollars.

I paid my child support for the next year. I paid my rent for a year. I bought twenty cartons of cigarettes and stacked them up in my apartment, and I filled the refrigerator.

Up to that point, that may have been the happiest moment of my life. Now, today, if I go to the track and win $8,000, it's very nice, but it won't affect my life one iota. It's nice to win. But when you really need it ...
    2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
    2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
    2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

I read this today on CNN.What a great story I like the part where Larry King punched the glass out of a cigs machine to steal a pack of cigs to smoke

Comment

Can we believe that this isn't BS? I mean this is the same guy who claimed to be best friends with Sandy Koufax growing up and Koufax said he had never met him before...

Comment

Originally posted by hokie99 View Post
        Can we believe that this isn't BS? I mean this is the same guy who claimed to be best friends with Sandy Koufax growing up and Koufax said he had never met him before...
        It's in his book so its got to be true!!!!!!

Even if he made it up,it's still nice to think this shit happens to lucky gamblers.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
          It's in his book so its got to be true!!!!!!

Even if he made it up,it's still nice to think this shit happens to lucky gamblers.
          So true Vols. It continues to encourage us degenerates...

Comment

Good stuff!!

Comment

This story is total bullshit and has been debunked elsewhere.

The horse he claims he bet on never ran at the track he claimed he was betting and there is no record of any off the payoffs matching his claim.

Larry King is a total b-s'er

He used to tell a story about how he hung out with Sandy Koufax as a kid. Koufax says he never knew Larry King.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

The horse he claims he bet on never ran at the track he claimed he was betting and there is no record of any off the payoffs matching his claim.

He used to tell a story about how he hung out with Sandy Koufax as a kid. Koufax says he never knew Larry King.

Comment

There was no trifecta betting in America in 1971. It hadn't been invented.

Lady Forli was born in 1972.

Lady Forli never won a race in the United States.

Lady Forli never ran at Calder.

Comment

Larry King’s Horse Tale - The Rail Blog - NYTimes.com

Comment

There was no trifecta betting in America in 1971. It hadn't been invented.

Lady Forli was born in 1972.

Lady Forli never won a race in the United States.

Lady Forli never ran at Calder.
                      That's hilarious!

Wow, Larry King is an ASS.
                      "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

HMM...such a great rags to riches story---LOL!

Comment

this guy is unreal gris,whats sad is people believe this shit !!
                          DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Not to be an ass, but didn't I say this weeks ago??

Comment

Working...
                            X