Rare Reptile Becomes Dad at Age 111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Reptile Becomes Dad at Age 111

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Jan. 26) - A captive reptile in New Zealand has unexpectedly become a father at the ripe old age of 111 after receiving treatment for a cancer that made him hostile toward prospective mates.
    The centenarian tuatara, named Spark, was thought well past the mating game until he was caught canoodling with a female named Meg last March — a consummation that resulted in 11 babies being hatched on Monday.
    Animals in the NewsLindsay Hazley QSM, Southland Museum and Art Gallery32 photos A New Zealand tuatara named Spark, top, is a dad at the age of 111. Spark was a "grumpy old man" who attacked potential mates until a cancerous tumor was removed from his genitals. A few months ago he hooked up with a female named Meg, and 11 babies hatched Monday. The tuatara is an endangered species. Click through this gallery for more animals in the news.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

Tuatara are indigenous New Zealand creatures that resemble lizards but descend from a distinct lineage of reptile that walked the earth with the dinosaurs 225 million years ago, zoologists say.
    An endangered species, the hatchlings born at the Southland Museum and Art Gallery will provide a badly needed boost to the tuatara's genetic diversity, said the gallery's tuatara curator, Lindsay Hazley.
    Spark was at least 70 years old when he arrived at the museum, "a grumpy old man" who attacked other reptiles, including females, until a cancerous tumor was removed from his genitals in 2002, said Hazley.
    "I went off the idea he was good for breeding," Hazley told The Associated Press, but once the tumor was removed, "he was no longer aggressive."
    The museum now has 72 of the reptiles after 42 hatchings in the past two years.
    Hazley hopes to use Spark regularly in the breeding program that is helping expand tuatara numbers after they had been savaged by predators.
    Tuatara are estimated to number about 50,000, most of them living in predator-free sanctuaries, including offshore islands.
    A male Tuatara takes 70 years to fully mature but reaches sexual maturity about age 20.
    While there's no scientific data on the life span of the ancient reptiles, "they go beyond 100 well and truly," Hazley said. "They can be around for 150 to 250 years."
    Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

"Canoodling"

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
    When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
    Jon E. Checkers

Comment

Wow 111 years old. Look out Spark, you may still have a shot to be a daddy again.

Comment

I was just sitting back in the weeds and waiting for that one Nex ,,..

hahahahahaha

Comment

Did you read the names in the story?
          You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Comment

In a related story:

The only part of this reptile named Spark which did not bear any resemblance to a reptile were his genitals.

Experts have suggested they appeared to be more humanlike. One doctor who examined Sparks genitals exclamed: "His genitals looked like a human penis only much smaller".

NBA is a joke

Comment

How does that make you feel Chado that a 111 year old reptile is getting pussy and you ain't

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                How does that make you feel Chado that a 111 year old reptile is getting pussy and you ain't

Comment

Working...
                X