X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls Basketball Team Wins 100-0, Seeks Forfeit

Friday, January 23, 2009
    AP

DALLAS — A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from the winning school say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

In a statement Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site, the head of school said, "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened." He went on to say that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Last week Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

FOXNews.com - Girls Basketball Team Wins 100-0, Seeks Forfeit - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Fuck this shit. I can't stand stuff like this. If you can't take getting your ass beat so badly, get off the fucking court. I'd have tried to win 200-0. As a competitor, this shit gets my blood boiling.

Comment

If this was a men's team does anyone think this would be an issue???

PK
      No thrills, frills, spills or write-ups. Just givin ya the winners everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by poskid View Post
        If this was a men's team does anyone think this would be an issue???

PK
        Yes, cause all the crybaby ass parents out there who want every kid in the school to get a shot at playing time. Well guess what mommy and daddy, your kid fucking sucks. Good luck in the geography bee.

Sorry for the rant, this shit just pisses me off

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
          Yes, cause all the crybaby ass parents out there who want every kid in the school to get a shot at playing time. Well guess what mommy and daddy, your kid fucking sucks. Good luck in the geography bee.

No...seriously, KB....I'd like to hear your honest opinion...not the diplomatic, politically-correct version.

Comment

The other side of the coin is that the other team ought to reassess its basketball program and simply eliminate it and/or drop down in class and play some junior high or middle school teams where they might fare better.

Comment

quit fucking suger coating it kyle, tell us how you really feel
              updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
              NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

kind of reminds me of the Detroit Lions

Comment

Fuck this shit. I can't stand stuff like this. If you can't take getting your ass beat so badly, get off the fucking court. I'd have tried to win 200-0. As a competitor, this shit gets my blood boiling.
                  KB, I coach baseball and normally I would agree with you, but in this case, the whole article wasn't included.

This is a copy and paste from the article.

"A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off.

"Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia."

This team is basically a handicapped team and the other schools know this.
                  Full court pressing and taking 3 pointers is uncalled for.
                  I personally think it is chicken shit to run up the score on teams like this when they are just trying to learn and play. This is a situation where you play your younger kids and there is no need to run it up. I know you can say "don't schedule them if you can't compete" but its not that easy. The schools need games and sometimes this happens.

To run it up on a team like this is uncalled for in my opinion.
                  dave
                  jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Originally posted by baseballdave View Post
                    KB, I coach baseball and normally I would agree with you, but in this case, the whole article wasn't included.

This is a copy and paste from the article.

"A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off.

"Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia."

This team is basically a handicapped team and the other schools know this.
                    Full court pressing and taking 3 pointers is uncalled for.
                    I personally think it is chicken shit to run up the score on teams like this when they are just trying to learn and play. This is a situation where you play your younger kids and there is no need to run it up. I know you can say "don't schedule them if you can't compete" but its not that easy. The schools need games and sometimes this happens.

To run it up on a team like this is uncalled for in my opinion.
                    dave
                    In all due respect I don't fully agree.
                    The fact that the team hasn't won in four years and is made up of handicapped kids is telling.
                    Kids like this need confidence, and they are hardly going to find it getting (I would assume) beaten convincingly by other schools as well by Convenant.
                    This is quite a different situation as to when BC plays the Red Sox each year in spring training and usualy gets soundly whipped.
                    In the latter case, it is a thrill for the players to play the Sox and as a motivation to do well in their regular season games.
                    In the case of Dallas one defeat after another will if anything make them feel badly about themselves, and I don't see any reason for these kids to play out of their league.
                    Surely there must be some other programs with kids of the same abilities, and in my opinion these are the teams which they should be playing.

Comment

ps I in no way condone what Convenant did, but I thinl the experience should serve notice to those who do the scheduling for Dallas that changes are needed to ensure that the same kind of conditions which precipitated what occurred no longer exist-meaning easier scheduling with teams of equal ability.

Comment

Its very easy to see who the losers were in this game and it wasnt the team who didnt score. Just fucking classless.
                        He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

What are you suppossed to do? Play bad, turn the ball over, take easy layups instead of 3's??? The full court press might be a little much but I really hope they weren't doing that up 90-0...if so, then yea thats kinda classless.
                          Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

The coach of the winning team now gets fired cause he won't apoligize BULLSHIT if you ask me

Comment

cbs11tv.com - Winning Coach In 100-0 Basketball Game Speaks Out
                              about him getting fired

Comment

Working...
                              X