Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what's wrong with our Legal System

Suspects in Taylor case won't face

MIAMI (AP) - Prosecutors said Monday they will not seek the death penalty against four people charged with murdering Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor because the accused shooter was a minor when the crime was committed.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that people cannot be executed for crimes committed when they're under 18, and it's a well established legal principle that others involved in the same case as a minor cannot face the ultimate penalty if they are less directly responsible.

Assistant State Attorney Reid Rubin filed notice Friday that the death penalty will be waived. That means the four suspects could get a maximum of life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder after a trial scheduled to begin Aug. 25.

Eric Rivera Jr., who turned 18 last month, was 17 at the time police say he shot Taylor during a botched robbery at the Pro Bowl safety's Miami-area home in November. Taylor, 24, died of massive blood loss after he was shot in the upper leg.

The Taylor family accepted prosecutor's explanation for the move, a family spokesman said.

"All the co-defendants can't be subject to the death penalty if the (alleged) shooter is not," said Richard Sharpstein, a lawyer who has acted as spokesman for the Taylor family. "There are no issues of discretion here. There's no choice."

Prosecutors and defense attorneys are barred from discussing the case with reporters under a gag order. But Hunte's attorney, Michael Hornung said in a telephone interview that prosecutors would have had to prove a conspiracy aimed at killing Taylor in order to seek death for the three adults.

"I'm not shocked or surprised they are not going forward with the death penalty," Hornung said. "That would have been challenging legally."

Taylor was an All-American at the University of Miami and was a member of the Hurricanes' national championship team in 2001. He was selected with the fifth overall pick of the 2004 draft by the Redskins and made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2007.

So 7 months is the difference between someone going behind bars or getting the death penalty. Pretty ridiculous.

I've never been to prison but we here of some pretty bad things that go on in them. I might just prefer the death penalty rather than be someones bitch in prison.
    MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

They sure were "adult" enough to plan this robbery and bring a gun.
      NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1
        They sure were "adult" enough to plan this robbery and bring a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by weazel079
          So 7 months is the difference between someone going behind bars or getting the death penalty. Pretty ridiculous.

I've never been to prison but we here of some pretty bad things that go on in them. I might just prefer the death penalty rather than be someones bitch in prison.

Comment

They will end up going to jail for life which in return is shitty for them. They will have to deal with living in a jail, cell etc for the rest of their lives. The only good thing for them is that they have the chance of asking for forgiveness and getting it from God.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
              They will end up going to jail for life which in return is shitty for them. They will have to deal with living in a jail, cell etc for the rest of their lives. The only good thing for them is that they have the chance of asking for forgiveness and getting it from God.
              They can ask God for forgiveness right before we fry there ass.Last I checked God ain't picking up the tap to house them SOB for the rest of there life with 3 meals a day and cable TV.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan
                They can ask God for forgiveness right before we fry there ass.Last I checked God ain't picking up the tap to house them SOB for the rest of there life with 3 meals a day and cable TV.

Maybe they should have gotten to know God before this went down. Funny how some criminals get to know God after the crime.
                NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1

Maybe they should have gotten to know God before this went down. Funny how some criminals get to know God after the crime.
                  Jailhouse religion is what it is.How many times when we were younger and getting so drunk that you throw up all night.It was easy to say you wasn't going to drink no more but after a couple days you start getting back to normal and it always seem to taste good again.Same with them,there inside those walls and inside they really feel like they changed.A couple days out of jail and those same feelings seem to come back.Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth if you ask me.Two police officers were killed here in Atlanta by a guy and now it is being found out that he should have been in jail anyway but a mistake by the county let this guy out until his trial.If the system worked those two officers would still be alive.

Comment

Some people do truely find the Lord in prison, may not be the majority, but if its one its better than none.

As far as the death penalty, i am for it, but i dont know if i would be for it in this case. Robbery gone bad, i dont think it was there intention to kill him, just rob him and he was home and they didnt anticipate that. Thats my understanding of what happened.

If i had done what that young man did, i would prefer the death penalty versus life in jail. I couldnt do the time, not with all those ass pirates in prison. My sphinchter would look like a 2x4 was left in it, rather be dead.

Just like in Shawshank, Andy Dufrane said if you stick it in my mouth i will bite it off, they replied knock out his teeth.
                    Questions, comments, complaints:
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat

if they get life its 25 yrs behind bars, then there free
                      jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
                        As far as the death penalty, i am for it, but i dont know if i would be for it in this case. Robbery gone bad, i dont think it was there intention to kill him, just rob him and he was home and they didnt anticipate that. Thats my understanding of what happened.
                        Intention or not, there is a young man dead, with a wife and young children left behind. All 4 of them ought to be kneeled down before a firing line...

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
                          Some people do truely find the Lord in prison, may not be the majority, but if its one its better than none.

If i had done what that young man did, i would prefer the death penalty versus life in jail. I couldnt do the time, not with all those ass pirates in prison. My sphinchter would look like a 2x4 was left in it, rather be dead.

Just like in Shawshank, Andy Dufrane said if you stick it in my mouth i will bite it off, they replied knock out his teeth.
                          I do know that some of them do find Jesus and change there life but thers alot who don't.I did some stupid shit when I was younger, fighting in bars,DUI and just normal drunk stupid shit but after putting that orange jumpsuit on for about the 4th time and having to talk to my mom on a phone thru glass made me realize that was not the place for me.10 days was the most I was ever in and walked out 8 years ago for the last time.It's not ironic that I met my wife after that and now have a family.Nothing settles a man down like a good woman and a great kid.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan
                            I do know that some of them do find Jesus and change there life but thers alot who don't.I did some stupid shit when I was younger, fighting in bars,DUI and just normal drunk stupid shit but after putting that orange jumpsuit on for about the 4th time and having to talk to my mom on a phone thru glass made me realize that was not the place for me.10 days was the most I was ever in and walked out 8 years ago for the last time.It's not ironic that I met my wife after that and now have a family.Nothing settles a man down like a good woman and a great kid.

Remind me if we meet not to mess with you

Did you enjoy the anal sex, were they big boys??
                            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                              Intention or not, there is a young man dead, with a wife and young children left behind. All 4 of them ought to be kneeled down before a firing line...

As you get older you will mello on some of your views, trust me on that one.

I respect your opinion, but in this instance i dont agree.

If i ruled the world KB, i would kill everyone who wears 100 dollar jeans
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X