Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Rod...next player/owner???

A-Rod's agent reportedly talking to potential Cubs owners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Alex Rodriguez might redefine the term "franchise player."

New York Magazine reported on Sunday that the Yankees third baseman could end up with the Chicago Cubs next season with a blockbuster contract that includes an ownership stake in the team.

Although he's had his ups and downs in New York in his four years there, A-Rod has carried the Yankees this season and has basically wrapped up the American League MVP award. Rodriguez is batting .312 and leads the league with 52 home runs, 146 RBIs and 138 runs scored. New York is only 1½ games behind the Boston Red Sox in the AL East and leads the wild-card race by 5½ games.

A-Rod's huge numbers couldn't have come at a better time. Ten days after the World Series ends, A-Rod can opt out of the $252 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers six years ago.

According to the magazine, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, has already identified the leading candidate to buy the Cubs and has begun negotiations on a mega-deal. The publication's sources say that the deal could reach $30 million per year over 10 years, with part of the contract deferred toward an eventual stake in the franchise.

The Red Sox have also been mentioned as a possible destination for A-Rod. The team came close to trading for him before he ended up in New York.

The Yankees, who are all but assured of making the playoffs for the 13th straight season, likely won't watch A-Rod walk without attempting to sign him to an extension. But they have to act rather quickly. The Rangers are paying $29 million of Rodriguez's remaining deal. The moment he opts for free agency, the Yankees lose that money. They keep it if they can sign A-Rod to an extension.

So in the midst of a playoff run, the Yankees must decide what to do with the guy that got them there.

If the Cubs offer that deal Id bolt my way out of town as that is a franchise who even with no winning seasons in memory will always have fans there and make money. Smartest deal ever if he takes a 10 year deal with those incentives.
    NFL System - Year 1
    Week 2 3-2 +0.8 Units
    Week 3 3-2-1 +0.8 Units
    Week 3 3-3 -0.3 Units
    Week 4 3-2 +0.8 Units
    Week 5 2-3 -1.3 Units
    Week 6 4-1 +2.9 Units
    Week 7 3-0 +3.0 Units
    Week 8 2-3 -2.35 Units
    Week 9 0-1 -1.1 Units
    Season Total 23-17 +3.35 Units

Comment

Rook has a boner for the purple lip, shirtless park tanner
      Questions, comments, complaints:
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
        Rook has a boner for the purple lip, shirtless park tanner
        I'll be going TMac on him as well if he makes it to Chi town

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
          I'll be going TMac on him as well if he makes it to Chi town

And i'd be right there for sloppy seconds

Comment

I wouldn't give any player part ownership in a team.

Comment

bump
              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X