Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise, Surprise

NAACP: Let Vick play again after sentence

ATLANTA (AP) - An NAACP leader said Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."
    White said the Falcons quarterback made a mistake and should be allowed to prove he has learned from that mistake.

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided nearly all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges.

Last month, state and local leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People urged the public not to rush to judgment in the Vick case. The civil rights organization said animal rights groups, talk radio and the news media were vilifying the embattled athlete, and that his team and corporate sponsors were prematurely punishing Vick.

White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's co-defendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth.

"At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence," White said, referring to the possible harsher sentence Vick could have received had he taken his case to trial and been found guilty. "You're thinking, 'What I better do is cut my losses and take a plea.' But if he saw this as the best thing to do at this point for his future, then I think he made the correct choice."

White said he regretted that the plea deal will mean all the facts of the case might never be known.

"Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

White said he does not support dogfighting and that he considers it as bad as hunting.

"His crime is, it was a dog," White said.

Like he will be rehabilitated once he gets out of prison...Not

He tried to get a 1 year or less sentence. And I believe he tried to state he had nothing to do with any of this from the beginning. The guy won't learn jack shit from it as he will probably be a bad ass in the joint just like Martha making all kinds of promises for protection.

Then when he gets out if he plays in the NFL he will be a bust or if they ban him he will get the NAACP to sue them.

Comment

Note to self:
      Hope Tim Donaghy turns black in prison.Bet all games he refs in 2027 for $1000.00.

Comment

Vick will never play in the NFL again
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

On a serious note,who takes up for the white man anymore.I'm kinda jealous.We dont have a al sharpton or a jessie jackson or a naacp to come help us out when we get in trouble.I think Mike Vick should be the one coming out asking people to forgive him when he has served his time.The Falcon players have showed alot of class during this whole ordeal.Warrick Dunn came from a single mom (who was killed in the line of duty)in a rough part of town and he might be the best role model of any athlete out there.No one should blame Vicks trouble on his up bringing but rather on his poor decisions.

Comment

I agree buit the fact remains more people are what they are due to the environment they were raised than not. What he did is worse than hunting (i have heard that analogy this week)....i also hate hunting too.....But these are dogs that rely on man for their well-being......

He has to admit before he is sentenced that he did make this guilty plea because he is guilty, not due to duress or anything else. This will be asked before the judge sentences him. So the bottom line Mr. NAACP is that this is about guilt.....not color.....Why the fuck do they get involved in everything if a black person is involved? Is there any possibility that he is just plain guilty?

Comment

TTT for President

Comment

where's jordanrules??????

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
                  I agree buit the fact remains more people are what they are due to the environment they were raised than not. What he did is worse than hunting (i have heard that analogy this week)....i also hate hunting too.....But these are dogs that rely on man for their well-being......

He has to admit before he is sentenced that he did make this guilty plea because he is guilty, not due to duress or anything else. This will be asked before the judge sentences him. So the bottom line Mr. NAACP is that this is about guilt.....not color.....Why the fuck do they get involved in everything if a black person is involved? Is there any possibility that he is just plain guilty?
                  I agree!!!
                  AND when Vick starts eating the dogs like a hunter eats what he shoots than their lame ass comparison to hunting will have merit.
                  Remember the three R's:
                  Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Working...
                  X