• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Shows "Brokeback Mountain" Movie

Father sues after elementary school shows 'Brokeback Mountain'

05:41 AM CDT on Monday, May 14, 2007

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her eighth-grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians. Richardson had previously complained to school officials about reading material he said contained curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read."

Messages left over the weekend with school district officials were not immediately returned.
    "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'"

WTF was this teacher thinking?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

That is disturbing.

I was watching littleman yesterday on Starz, when my 12 year old daughter told me she watched that in school. I found that pretty disturbing. It had way to much sexual content for a middle school kid.

I wasnt watching it with her, she came in the room while i had it on and said that it was a funny show,and that she saw it at school.
      Questions, comments, complaints:
      [email protected]

Comment

I did not know that Bover was a Principle of an elementary school ....

What a stupid move .. and to think .. these people are teaching kids ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
          I did not know that Bover was a Principle of an elementary school ....

What a stupid move .. and to think .. these people are teaching kids ...
          Never saw it, dont plan on renting it. I have zero interest in watching 2 cowboys getting it on. Now 2 cowgirls, i might rent that , bet that wouldnt win any oscars
          [email protected]

Comment

Wait, 12 and in 8th grade? My cousin is 12 and she is in 6th...
            NFL Kruise
            2-2*

*updated as of 9/9

Comment

Originally posted by tkim11
              Wait, 12 and in 8th grade? My cousin is 12 and she is in 6th...
              They go fast in Kentucky .... 8th grade is their last year of school.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsufan
                They go fast in Kentucky .... 8th grade is their last year of school.
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
                  Never saw it, dont plan on renting it. I have zero interest in watching 2 cowboys getting it on. Now 2 cowgirls, i might rent that , bet that wouldnt win any oscars
                  How do you know what its about?

Comment

I can't imagine any of you colon cowboys are offended by this.
                    Every
                    Villain
                    Is
                    Lemons

Comment

Originally posted by rented mule
                      I can't imagine any of you colon cowboys are offended by this.
                      exactly what i was thinking mule man-bye the way are you wearing boxers or briefs-LOL ??
                      DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Working...
                      X