Report: Zambrano threatens to bolt Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Zambrano threatens to bolt Cubs

Chicago Cubs right-handed pitcher Carlos Zambrano is ready to move on if the team fails to give him a big-bucks contract extension before opening day, according to a report in the Chicago Tribune.

Zambrano, who is thought to be seeking a long-term deal with an annual salary in the range of Barry Zito's $18 million per season, dropped the bombshell while appearing Monday on Chicago's WGN-TV.

"I'm ready to sign, and I would do my job anyway with the Cubs this year," Zambrano said. "Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts. If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

The Cubs, as the Chicago Tribune points out, still can negotiate with Zambrano if he becomes a free agent. The team re-signed third baseman Aramis Ramirez in November after he considered free agency.

Zambrano recently asked for $15.5 million in arbitration, and the Cubs offered $11.025 million. The matter could be headed for an arbitration hearing on Feb. 20.

He also reportedly said that his market value was raised when the Giants awarded Zito with a seven-year, $126 million deal last December.

Zambrano, 64-42 lifetime over six seasons with the Cubs, has come into his own in the last three seasons, going 46-21. He went 16-7 with a 3.41 ERA and a career-best 210 strikeouts in 2006.

As the Cubs most valuable pitcher, Zambrano has the ability to make the team feel uncomfortable. And it seems clear that he intends to do just that.

"When you're a great pitcher and have talent, you deserve the money no matter who gives it to you," he said. "Zito is a great pitcher. Good for him he has that contract, and I think that will help me.

"[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] spent a lot of money. I hope he has more for 'Big Z.'"

Hendry better step up and give Zambrano what he wants!

Comment

Z doesn't deserve that kind of money to be the 3rd starter on a team!

Signed,

Kerry Wood & Mark Prior

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
        Z doesn't deserve that kind of money to be the 3rd starter on a team!

Signed,

Kerry Wood & Mark Prior
        bwahahahahahah I just saw the first line of your post before I scrolled down. I was fixing to rip you a new one

Comment

Questions, comments, complaints:
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
            LMAO ... Didn't he say poor kb earlier when everyone else was picking on you?

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
              LMAO ... Didn't he say poor kb earlier when everyone else was picking on you?

I did, now i am on him
              [email protected]

Comment

this is gonna go one of 2 ways.

they'll either let him go.

or they will sign him to a huge contract and he'll go mark prior on them and get hurt.

just watch
                2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

You're a negaive asshole you know it

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
                    this is gonna go one of 2 ways.

they'll either let him go.

or they will sign him to a huge contract and he'll go mark prior on them and get hurt.

just watch
                    [email protected]

Comment

That's a brillant move on Zambrano's part, and based on what guys like Zito has gotten...he deserves it 100%.

Hendry is not stupid. He'll make the deal

Comment

But then again...............

We are talking about the Cubs....

shit.......

Comment

Working...
                        X