No announcement yet.

Why Do So Few People Vote in the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do So Few People Vote in the U.S.?

By CALVIN WOODWARD
    AP
    WASHINGTON (Nov. 5) - Government of the people, by the people, will be missing a lot of people Election Day.

It's a persistent riddle in a country that thinks of itself as the beacon of democracy. Why do so few vote?

Compare U.S. voting with foreign voting and it's not a pretty sight. Americans are less apt to vote than are people in other old democracies, in new ones, in dangerous places, dirt poor ones, freezing cold ones, stinking hot ones and highly dysfunctional ones.

Even that theocratic "axis of evil," Iran, has bragging rights over the United States in this regard. So does chaotic Iraq, where an estimated 70 percent of voters cast ballots in December parliamentary elections.

The pitched battle for control of the House and Senate in Tuesday's election has raised hope that voting will rise above its usual anemic levels. But competitive races are not reliable predictors of turnout and doubts exist about whether Republicans will be as fired up as Democrats and whether independents will vote with their feet or their seat.

As in other aspects of American life, the people who run elections work to make things easier for everyone. Yet they achieve little more than blips in increased turnout, if that.

Participation, paradoxically, is highest in states where making it to a polling station can be misery on a wintry day. Minnesota, Alaska, Maine, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming are among states that lead the nation in getting voters out, and they put the Sunbelt to shame.

About 40 percent of U.S. citizens of voting age population cast ballots in nonpresidential year elections.

Despite the competitive nature of the 2000 presidential race and the certainty of having a new chief executive no matter who won, just more than half turned out. In 2004, a polarized year when everyone remembered the near dead heat four years earlier, turnout climbed over 60 percent - edging a little closer to the likes of Iran, Iceland and Somalia.

cause theyare crooks that are legal
    rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

You mean the Politicans correct?

Comment

it's probably good that most people don't vote.

most people are uniformed idiots who even if they know what the issues are, don't take a look at the other side and weigh their decision based on that issue's merits. they just vote which way their politicians of choice say they should vote.
        boxing 7-3 +12.95 units

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
          You mean the Politicans correct?
          yes monte that is what i mean sorry
          rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

Most people don't vote IMO as they don't think it will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by amhlilhaus
              it's probably good that most people don't vote.

most people are uniformed idiots who even if they know what the issues are, don't take a look at the other side and weigh their decision based on that issue's merits. they just vote which way their politicians of choice say they should vote.
              Too much shit is slung from both parties and not enough information about what they really are going to try and do if elected. Always has been and its getting worse.

Comment

I have no idea what any of the people on the ballot stand for or what they want to do in office if they get elected. All I hear about is the negatives of the people they are running against. No voting for me today.

Comment

I vote no matter what, to many people have died to give me that right.

If you dont know anything about who's running, thats your fault, it only takes a little research to get a little info on their basic views.

Just my 2 cents
                  Questions, comments, complaints:
                  [email protected]

Comment

everyone should vote. why not? i vote every year.
                    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

A right

Voting is a right not an obligation. People choose to vote are not to vote based on the canidates running and not many are worthy of a vote on both parties.

Comment

Working...
                      X