Suspended Merriman: 'I'm a Victim not a Cheater'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended Merriman: 'I'm a Victim not a Cheater'

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Banished from the NFL for four weeks, San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman said he's not a steroid cheat.

He also suggested he's a victim of the league's drug testing policy.

Merriman dropped by Chargers headquarters on Wednesday to address his teammates before beginning a four-game suspension for testing positive for the steroid nandrolone. He and his attorney have blamed a tainted supplement.

The second-year pro, tied for the NFL lead with 8 1/2 sacks, dropped his appeal Tuesday, after which the league announced his suspension. Merriman could have gone through with a hearing on Nov. 7, which would have allowed him to play in Sunday's home game against the Browns. But he concluded he didn't stand a chance of winning, because the NFL holds players responsible for the supplements they take.

"Yes, I did something unknowingly, but at the same time I did something that was against the policy," Merriman said at a news conference. Merriman can rejoin the team on Nov. 27.

"This has been a real hard process for me because I'm actually having to make a decision on playing football or sitting out," said Merriman, who tied his career high with three sacks in a 38-24 win against St. Louis on Sunday. "I think right now was an important time for me to pull the appeal based on all the facts and all the information we have received. It was the right time to do it for the team."

Besides the Browns game, Merriman will miss road games against Cincinnati and Denver, and a home game against Oakland. Merriman was a Pro Bowl starter last year, when he was voted the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Had he appealed and lost, he might have missed both games against Denver, which shares the AFC West lead with the Chargers at 5-2. The Broncos visit San Diego on Dec. 10.

Merriman, nicknamed "Lights Out" because of his jarring hits, knows some people might remain skeptical.

"It's hard to change everybody's mind on what happened. But what they have to know is that it can happen to anybody. It's hard to do anything illegal or doing anything against the rules nowadays because they're so strict already.

"I'm not a cheater," he said. "I don't believe in cheating the game, I don't condone cheating the game, I have no reason to cheat the game. I'm about playing football and I'm a great football player. ... I will go out and be the best football player possible and be known as one of the best to ever play."

Merriman refused to identify the supplement that led to the positive test. He said it's an over-the-counter supplement, and that while he took it for 1 1/2 years, he never had it checked by the team's training staff.

"We're not allowed to say what product yet because there's a high, high possibility that we'll be going after the manufacturer," he said.

"What I tested positive for you can't inject, you can't do anything like that," he said. "It's something ingested and it's from a defective supplement."

Merriman said he took the supplement primarily to restore his energy when he was working out two or three times a day in the offseason.

"It's just sad that I've been taking it for a while and I didn't know. It never came up positive for anything and when it happened, that's when I found out more information about, you know, any kind of tainted supplements. I never knew that supplements can have anything different than what's on the ingredients."

He also said the positive drug test occurred on Aug. 2, and that he came up clean on three subsequent tests.

"It's one of those things where I'm almost a victim of the policy and I have to accept what happened and move on. I know I made a mistake. I didn't do it knowingly and I'm willing to take full responsibility for whatever happens."

Carlos Polk, who missed most of the last two seasons due to injuries, is expected to start in Merriman's place. Polk has no starts and one sack in six seasons.

Why can't all these athletes that take steroids be man enough to take the blame instead of blaming the system, someone else, etc.???

Comment

no he is a cheater
      2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat

I knew that was coming

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21

I knew that was coming

Actually there was a company making a protein powder I believe a few years ago that had compounds in it that when someone was tested/urine it showed up as steroids. I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe they were doing it as people would get stronger a lot quicker with their product thus more $

Not saying that's the case in the above as I haven't really followed it. However, it seems that most of these athletes these days want to blame the companies making the products that they take. I say test the product and see if it comes up positive. Then compare it to the label and see what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat

Actually there was a company making a protein powder I believe a few years ago that had compounds in it that when someone was tested/urine it showed up as steroids. I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe they were doing it as people would get stronger a lot quicker with their product thus more $

Not saying that's the case in the above as I haven't really followed it. However, it seems that most of these athletes these days want to blame the companies making the products that they take. I say test the product and see if it comes up positive. Then compare it to the label and see what you get.
              Exactly. You'd think that the team doctors and trainers would know which supplements their players are taking and make sure there isn't anything tainted with the product.

Comment

Exactly. You'd think that the team doctors and trainers would know which supplements their players are taking and make sure there isn't anything tainted with the product.
                In order to know if the product is tainted or not they would have to test the product. And most of those players probably take supplements on their own.

I'm saying that if he wants to stick to blaming the company take the product and get it tested. If it comes back positive then compare the label to see if it has anything listed in it that would make it do so. If not then he would be innocent and could sue the manufacturer.

Comment

these players know exactly whats going into their body. with so much @ stake they'd be a fool not to.
                  2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

I know they would have to test the product. Surely they know what supplements the players are taking. If not, put out a list to each player saying such and such supplement tests positive steroid and put it on a "no-take" list or something to that effect. If I'm a team owner is this multi-million dollar industry like professional sports, I hire an expert in this field and make his primary responsibility to do what I mentioned above.

Comment

I know they would have to test the product. Surely they know what supplements the players are taking. If not, put out a list to each player saying such and such supplement tests positive steroid and put it on a "no-take" list or something to that effect. If I'm a team owner is this multi-million dollar industry like professional sports, I hire an expert in this field and make his primary responsibility to do what I mentioned above.
                      Have you ever opened a muscle and fitness magazine? There are hundreds of products in there. And there are thousands out there to be bought. That's why all of that shit should have to be tested by each company with annual (at the minimum) reports done and given to the FDA & Center for disease control etc. That way if the fucks lie they are in trouble.

And I really believe that most of these athletes know what they are taking just like this guy, because if he really thought he was innocent he would prove it.

Comment

he is a fucking cheater and should not be mentioned in the same breath as othe good linebackers....and that asshole stephen a smith said on his show last night that he doesnt blame merriman because the nfl is such a violent sport...are you fucking kidding me? so its ok to cheat according to his dumbass. These guys get paid MILLLIONS of dollars if the sport is to tough get the fuck out. I think im gonna email that idiot now that i think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
                          he is a fucking cheater and should not be mentioned in the same breath as othe good linebackers....and that asshole stephen a smith said on his show last night that he doesnt blame merriman because the nfl is such a violent sport...are you fucking kidding me? so its ok to cheat according to his dumbass. These guys get paid MILLLIONS of dollars if the sport is to tough get the fuck out. I think im gonna email that idiot now that i think about it.
                          Stephen A. Smith is one the the biggest jackasses out there for sure

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
                            U have his personal e-mail addy?

Comment

Didn't Charlie bench press with this guy

Comment

Working...
                              X