X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressman Apologizes for Affair

Seeking Re-Election, He Denies Abusing Mistress
    AP
    SCRANTON, Pa. (Oct. 5) - Rep. Don Sherwood, a Republican fighting for re-election in northeastern Pennsylvania, says in a TV ad that he is "truly sorry" for cheating on his wife but denies ever abusing the woman he had the affair with.

In the ad, he acknowledges that the affair nearly cost him the love of his wife and his daughters. He said his family has worked through it "because of my deep regret, our love and the fact that the allegation of abuse was never true."

"While I'm truly sorry for disappointing you, I never wavered from my commitment to reduce taxes, create jobs and bring home our fair share," Sherwood said, addressing viewers. "Should you forgive me, you can count on me to keep on fighting hard for you and your family."

Sherwood, a four-term congressman, has a seat that had been considered safe until it was revealed last year that police in 2004 investigated an incident between Sherwood and Cynthia Ore at his Washington apartment.

Charges were never filed, but Ore sued Sherwood, claiming he had choked her. Sherwood apologized for the affair but denied abusing Ore. The suit was settled for an undisclosed sum.

The ad began running Tuesday in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market and comes days after Chris Carney, his Democratic opponent, launched a hard-hitting commercial focusing on the affair.

Carney's ad features a voter saying, "This incident with Don Sherwood just cuts right at the core values of our district." The phrases "repeatedly choking" and "attempting to strangle plaintiff," taken from the lawsuit, appear on the screen.

What an idiot

Comment

These Congressmen are doing nothing but giving our government a black eye. I'm really starting to be disappointed with what's going on.

Comment

Don't You Always Wonder, Are You Sorry You Did What You Did Or Are You Sorry You Got Caught???????????

Comment

I believe this kind of stuff takes place a lot more than we know of with our Government officials.

Don't know Bud as i've never been in that situation. If I was I would like to think it was, because of what I did.

Comment

I'm starting to lose faith in our govenment with all the corruption, scandals, affairs. I think 60% of our government officials are crooks. Watch all there ads, all they do is back stab each other.

Comment

Originally posted by packer34
              I'm starting to lose faith in our govenment with all the corruption, scandals, affairs. I think 60% of our government officials are crooks. Watch all there ads, all they do is back stab each other.
              Agree 100% When was the last time you saw a tv ad where the guy running has talked about all his good qualities and why he should be elected?? All they want to do is trash their opponent. It's getting really old.

Comment

When does Ted Kennedy apologize for killing a woman?

Let's see; I've been waiting 37 years now.

Oh, that's right. Only Republicans have to fall on the sword for that stuff.

Comment

The real problem is there are too many congresmen and they are grossly overpaid and dont forget their inflated pensions and other benifits (that they dont need to survive) once they leave office

Comment

Originally posted by packer34
                    I would venture to say its more like 90% or 99%

Comment

Originally posted by LeRoy
                      The real problem is there are too many congresmen and they are grossly overpaid and dont forget their inflated pensions and other benifits (that they dont need to survive) once they leave office
                      That's one reason why SS is screwed up. If they had to rely on it when they retire they would get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold
                        When does Ted Kennedy apologize for killing a woman?

Let's see; I've been waiting 37 years now.

Oh, that's right. Only Republicans have to fall on the sword for that stuff.

MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NOT THE APOLOGY THAT NEVER HAPPENED, BUT IT KEPT HIM OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE, THATS WHY WE OUGHT TO HAVE A MARY JO KOPECNEE NATIONAL HOLIDAY, EXCUSE SPELLING OF LAST NAME

Comment

Originally posted by BUD GREGG
                          MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NOT THE APOLOGY THAT NEVER HAPPENED, BUT IT KEPT HIM OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE, THATS WHY WE OUGHT TO HAVE A MARY JO KOPECNEE NATIONAL HOLIDAY, EXCUSE SPELLING OF LAST NAME
                          Who?

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                            Who?

I ASSUME YOU ARE KIDDING BY NOT RECOGNIZING THE BACK SEAT OCCUPANT HE LEFT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POND AS HE SAVED HIMSELF...................

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                              That's one reason why SS is screwed up. If they had to rely on it when they retire they would get it fixed.
                              SS is a joke im sorry but it was set up to help the working man (the backbone of our society) when he retires.Not someone born with a silver spoon up his ass.One way to go toward fixing that whould be anyone worth X amount of dollars and has a boat load of money comming in (pension ect) isnt entitled to collect it eventhough he paid into it.By the way it was by the grace of God he was born into this great nation with the opprotunities to make good and not in a famished land in Africa like the pitcure that was posted with the vulture hovering around a starving child in another thread on this site. Thanks for hearing me vent my fustration

Comment

Working...
                              X