Fish Kills Diver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Kills Diver

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida diver shot a large grouper with a spear gun then apparently drowned when the fish sped into a hole, entangling the man in the line attached to the spear, investigators said on Monday.

The 42-year-old man, whose name was withheld, was free-diving in about 25 feet of water off the lower Florida Keys on Saturday and speared a Goliath Grouper, Monroe County Sheriff's Detective Mark Coleman said.

"It looks like the fish wrapped the line attached to the spear around the victim's wrist. The fish then went into a hole in a coral rock, effectively pinning the man to the bottom of the ocean," Coleman said in a news release.

Police divers found the speared fish tightly wedged into the hole, with the man's body still tangled in the line, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.

Goliath Grouper are the largest members of the sea bass family and can weigh hundreds of pounds.

Those damn Groupes can get huge. I had one that was in a saltwater tank and seen one just like it at a store that was freaking huge.

Comment

Death by fish
      NFL Kruise
      2-2*

*updated as of 9/9

Comment

It's like hooking your rod to the bumper of a School Bus and driving off. Monster Goliath Grouper range from 100 to 600lbs and will "pull your arms off"!! .

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
          Those damn Groupes can get huge. I had one that was in a saltwater tank and seen one just like it at a store that was freaking huge.

i want a salt water tank...but sparkarella says it's too much work

Comment

Originally posted by Meg25
            Monte pls tell her how much work and $$$ goes into a salt water tank .. I had many of them ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
              Monte pls tell her how much work and $$$ goes into a salt water tank .. I had many of them ...

blah blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by Meg25
                This is true. Very expensive and way too much work. Unless you hire someone to take care of it and that only adds to the expense.

Comment

Monte is busy right now viewing Jessica Biel ... hahahaha

Comment

why didnt the guy have a knife? could of cut the line...

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
                      exactly. I'll sometimes man my uncles boat while he goes deep water diving. He always has a knife strapped around his ankle if anything like that happened.
                      MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

To actually do it the right way it will cost you some major coin.

Live Rock, Live Sand and Proper lighting, Protein Skimmer are all a must!

Unless you just want some damsels which are mean. Then you could go with dead coral and non-live sand with crap for lights. However, you then need the salt, food, etc.

Plus they are a lot more work than one thinks if not properly installed right.

Comment

Monte is busy right now viewing Jessica Biel ... hahahaha
                          Was talking with her on the phone

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                            Was talking with her on the phone
                            wake up BC, I think you're still dreaming

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
                              somethings fishy

Comment

Working...
                              X