'Sgt. Pepper' voted Britain's favourite number one album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Sgt. Pepper' voted Britain's favourite number one album

The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was voted Britain's favourite chart-topping album.

The British foursome's 1967 album edged out US singer Michael Jackson's "Thriller" by just 201 votes in the BBC's Radio Two Music Club Top 100 Albums chart.

More than 220,000 people voted in the nation-wide survey designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official British album charts.

U2's "Joshua Tree" came in third ahead of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

The Beatles had four albums in the top 10 and a fifth at number 11.

In a seperate poll, of the albums that failed to reach the number one spot, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" came out top with "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" by David Bowie as number two.

There have been 787 number one albums -- Snow Patrol's "Eyes Open" became the latest Sunday -- since the Official Album Chart started in 1956.

BBC radio presenter Simon Mayo said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt. Pepper is at the top.

"It revolutionised music and what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."

Top 10:

1 "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967) -- Beatles

2 "Thriller" (1982) -- Michael Jackson

3 "The Joshua Tree" (1987) -- U2

4 "Rumours" (1977) -- Fleetwood Mac

5 "Wish You Were Here" (1975) -- Pink Floyd

6 "Revolver" (1966) -- Beatles

7 "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) -- Simon and Garfunkel

8 "Abbey Road" (1969) -- Beatles

9 "A Night At The Opera" (1975) -- Queen

10 "The Beatles" (1968) -- Beatles

Further proof of the Beatles greatness. Four albums in the top 10.

Comment

I love the Beatles! One of my all time favorite bands

Comment

abbey road is better than Sgt pepper IMO
        Lord Knows I'm A Voodoo Child

My record Click Here

Comment

Abbey road is probably my least favorite of all the beatles albums

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21

One thing we can agree on is musical opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and no 2 are the same

My record Click Here

Comment

Sgt Pepper had the most impact because of all of the directions and departures it made. Its amazing that an album from 1967 still tops this kind of poll. My opinionis that Revolver is the best album ever made.

Comment

Revolver is, I think, the best Beatles album ever. However, Sgt. Pepper is the most important and probably greatest album if you add the innovation to the quality of the music. Prior to Sgt. Pepper, albums were just collections of singles. Sgt. Pepper was the first major attempt in music history to make an album thematic. Virtually every album since has followed suit.

If you ever listen to oldies stations (which I generally detest), it is amazing how far music came from the crap that was played as late as 1962 to the sounds the Beatles and others produced in 1967.

Comment

WOW That really surprises me. I've never known anyone that dislikes Abbey Road.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                    WOW That really surprises me. I've never known anyone that dislikes Abbey Road.
                    I don't necessarily dislike it, it is probably just my least favorite of all the beatles albums.

Comment

I don't necessarily dislike it, it is probably just my least favorite of all the beatles albums.
                      Sgt Pepper and Abbey are my two favorite. I probaly like them both equally.

Comment

Buddy Holly should have been up there as he was revolutionizing music before his untimely death

Comment

Sgt Pepper was innovative for the reasons stated and the studio/engineering advances, but I don't think it deserves such a high rank(than again British people like all kinds of crap that they don't even play over here)

I definently prefer these albums first:

Magical Mystery tour
                          rubber soul
                          revolver
                          Abbye road
                          possibly the white album

also, I am not a fan of any song that ringo sings on
                          and, thriller, joshua tree, and night at the opera as well as S&G, dont deserve top 10 status, but you guys know me, and I would easily replace any of them with Hendrix electric ladyland or axis bold as love, where are the Zep albums also, give me a break

My record Click Here

Comment

JC thinks SGT Pepper is Dr. Pepper's uncle

My record Click Here

Comment

Doesn't anyone give true recondition to Buddy Holly as being one of the early revolutionary of music besides me and the Beatles especially John and Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X