• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Wants to Become Reality TV Star

Former Wide Receiver Shopping Show Idea
    By KATHY HANRAHAN
    AP Sports
    MADDEN, Miss. (Aug. 23) - Once again, Jerry Rice sees his route. And the NFL receiving great hopes this one will play a part in his life after football.

Rice, who will retire Thursday after signing a one-day contract with the San Francisco 49ers , is shopping a reality show concept to several networks. "The Underdog" would focus on Rice helping to motivate people and communities.

"You never think that it will come to an end," Rice said of his career in speaking to The Associated Press this week.

A "Dancing with the Stars" alum, Rice credits the show with helping him raise his profile outside football.

"I reached a whole different audience by being on that show - people that might have not been into sports or anything like that," he said. "I hear a lot that I am a dancer. I am a football player. It's amazing how many people tuned into that show. It took me to a whole different level."

Showing the same commitment to dancing on the show as he did during 20 years in pro football, Rice and dance partner Anna Trebunskaya came in second to Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke.

"I almost pulled it off," Rice said Tuesday while attending the unveiling of the XBox 360 game "Madden NFL '07" in rural Madden.

Rice holds most of the significant NFL receiving records. He won three Super Bowls during 16 years with the 49ers and was the Super Bowl MVP in 1989.

Now he wants to stay involved in football after retirement, hoping to coach in high school.

"I think it is really important to catch them at that age to let them know if they are really committed to it and dedicated to it, they are going to have to work hard," he said. "There are no shortcuts. You are going to have to put the time in."

Currently, Rice volunteers with son Jerry Jr.'s high school football team in Atherton, Calif.

Retiring from the NFL will be bittersweet.

"If I had it my way, I'd love to sign a contract for one day and get out on the field," he said.
Working...
X