Immigrants sue over citizenship delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrants sue over citizenship delays

Ten Middle Eastern and Asian immigrants sued the government Tuesday, alleging officials let their U.S. citizenship applications linger indefinitely by delaying background checks.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, asks that a federal judge review the files and administer the oath of citizenship.

It also seeks class-action status to include all immigrants who have been waiting at least six months for naturalization after filing applications at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service in Los Angeles.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Muslims and immigrants from the Middle East and Asia have often complained of unexplained delays in the processing of immigration applications. The Southern California lawsuit follows a handful of others across the country.

"Whether the delays are based on discrimination or incompetence, they have to end," said Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Southern California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which filed the lawsuit with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

Sharon Rummery, spokeswoman for the Citizenship and Immigration Service, said only about 1 percent of citizenship applicants wait longer than six months.

"I have no idea why some take longer," said Rummery, who added her agency can't process an application until the FBI returns the background check.

Agent Richard Kolko said the FBI hadn't seen the legal action and couldn't comment.

Generally, legal permanent residents, or "green card" holders, can apply for citizenship if they have lived in the country a certain number of years, speak English fluently and pass a citizenship exam.

Federal law requires the government to approve or deny a citizenship application 120 days after an immigrant passes the exam.

It's taking a lot longer than that for Yousuf Bhaghani, 35, who immigrated from Pakistan 17 years ago. Bhaghani, one of the 10 immigrants in the lawsuit, said he passed the citizenship exam in 2002, and has been waiting for an answer ever since.

"In my heart, I'm already an American in every way," said Bhaghani. "Now I want to be able to fully participate as a citizen."

Are you kidding me? The lawyer who took this case should be disbarred.

Comment

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Muslims and immigrants from the Middle East and Asia have often complained of unexplained delays in the processing of immigration applications. The Southern California lawsuit follows a handful of others across the country.
      Too bad! Tell your relatives in the Mid-East to behave as humans.

Comment

Frank, it wont be long now. WTF has this once great nation come too. Pitiful
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by CheechB03
          Too bad! Tell your relatives in the Mid-East to behave as humans.
          Exactly!

Comment

Are you kidding me? The lawyer who took this case should be disbarred.

I guarantee you it's an ACLU lawyer...they should be disbarred as a group
            Peter Griffin: Holy crip, he's a crapple.

Comment

Originally posted by GaDawg00
              I guarantee you it's an ACLU lawyer...they should be disbarred as a group
              It was the ACLU.

Here's what pisses me off. A non-American should have no right to sue.

Comment

"Whether the delays are based on discrimination or incompetence, they have to end," said Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Southern California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which filed the lawsuit with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

Generally, legal permanent residents, or "green card" holders, can apply for citizenship if they have lived in the country a certain number of years, speak English fluently and pass a citizenship exam.

It's taking a lot longer than that for Yousuf Bhaghani, 35, who immigrated from Pakistan 17 years ago. Bhaghani, one of the 10 immigrants in the lawsuit, said he passed the citizenship exam in 2002, and has been waiting for an answer ever since.

"In my heart, I'm already an American in every way," said Bhaghani. "Now I want to be able to fully participate as a citizen."

Leagal Counsel California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations= $$

If they can speak English fluently then why do we have to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish? Theres plenty of Foreign immigrants that can't speak English for shit.

Yousuf Bhaghani= This guy waiting 17 years is absurd.

Comment

The Senate voted this week to allow "illegal" aliens to access Social Security benefits. True or False?

Comment

This is the only BS that we all have read about. What about those ridicilous lawsuits. Suing fucking McD for making them fat? Suing the cigarette company for their sickness? Are we taught that this type of shit will kill you in the long run? Mother fucken lawyers who takes these silly cases should be disbarred and the ppl who want to bring this shit to the lawyer should be sent to prision for being retarded.
                    NFL Kruise
                    2-2*

*updated as of 9/9

Comment

Originally posted by tkim11
                      This is the only BS that we all have read about. What about those ridicilous lawsuits. Suing fucking McD for making them fat? Suing the cigarette company for their sickness? Are we taught that this type of shit will kill you in the long run? Mother fucken lawyers who takes these silly cases should be disbarred and the ppl who want to bring this shit to the lawyer should be sent to prision for being retarded.
                      Best fix on the lawyers is loser pays like every other country has. If you sue McDonalds for being fat and you lose in court, you and your fucking lawyer has to pay for McDonald's legal fees. This would put an end to this bullshit.

Maybe we should hang a no vacancy sign outside our boarders or 'we're closed"!
                      Posted record as of 03/12/08:

NBA 35-33 -.22 units
                      NCAA Basketball 12-14-1 -3.08 units

Comment

Originally posted by MNCapper
                        Maybe we should hang a no vacancy sign outside our boarders or 'we're closed"!
                        Wishful thinking but maybe they can start enforcing the laws already on the books, direct some money going to Africa for Aids to local governments to enforce those laws since the Fed govt is sticking state/local with the costs, fine the business' caught employing the "guests" (even though it will cause some inflation), and refuse services to illegals. Want to round up the illegals? Go to every Mexican flag waving demonstration or catch them at the taxpayer funded schools, or the hospitals. Secure the borders first, while enforcing laws on the books, and sort out the other bullshit later. But no re-election money in that for the crooks.

Comment

Originally posted by winner
                          direct some money going to Africa for Aids to local governments to enforce those laws
                          Please then we have to deal with those fucking asshole like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. That fucking cunt should stay in Africa.

Comment

Please then we have to deal with those fucking asshole like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. That fucking cunt should stay in Africa.
                            agreed....
                            MY MEAT IN THE HOT DESERT.......

Comment

i'm gonna sue the illegals for being here and not paying taxes.
                              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Working...
                              X