Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soriano to the White Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy.

The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger, who is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season, said Sunday he wanted to remain in Washington but doubted he and the Nationals could agree to a contract extension before the deadline.

The five-time All-Star said he spoke with incoming Nationals president Stan Kasten on Thursday, but they didn't discuss contract details. Soriano added that he doesn't think his agent, Diego Bentz, has discussed numbers with the Nationals, either.

One potential stumbling block if the sides did agree on a new contract: Soriano said he wants a no-trade clause, something Kasten pointed out Sunday he refused to include in contracts he negotiated in recent years while an executive with the Atlanta Braves, the NBA's Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers.
    Posted Plays

2006 NFL Record: 10-8-1 (+11.21 units)
    5*: 1-0

2006 NCAA Football Record: 25-20 (+10.74 units)
    5*: 0-2

soriano
    thome
    konerko

those 3 back to back could be scary.
    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
      soriano
      thome
      konerko

and the damn Cubs stay stagnant .. Makes me ill

Comment

soriano
        thome
        konerko

Add Dye in there too. I know not as big of a name, but having a solid year!

Comment

Originally posted by STaylor36
          http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy.

The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger, who is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season, said Sunday he wanted to remain in Washington but doubted he and the Nationals could agree to a contract extension before the deadline.

The five-time All-Star said he spoke with incoming Nationals president Stan Kasten on Thursday, but they didn't discuss contract details. Soriano added that he doesn't think his agent, Diego Bentz, has discussed numbers with the Nationals, either.

One potential stumbling block if the sides did agree on a new contract: Soriano said he wants a no-trade clause, something Kasten pointed out Sunday he refused to include in contracts he negotiated in recent years while an executive with the Atlanta Braves, the NBA's Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers.
          I am assuming there are some other prosepects involved. Hard to believe it would be McCarthy for Soriano straight up. The Sox should be worried about their pitching: Garland has been pitching better lately but Buehrle's been getting shelled along with Vasquez and Garcia. Contreras is 50 years old. McCarthy could plug a hole in that rotation if anyone gets hurt this year. That's a big gamble for the Sox IMO as offense is not their problem this year. Their pitching is letting them down.
          "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Gookis
            Add Dye in there too. I know not as big of a name, but having a solid year!
            shit your right i forgot about Dye. dang.
            2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Bover
              KBSooner
              JBC

those 3 belly to back could be scary.
              I'll say.....
              Remember the three R's:
              Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
                and the damn Cubs stay stagnant .. Makes me ill
                What are you talking about Spark, didn't they just give away Willaimson for a bag of balls! That should help!
                Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
                  What are you talking about Spark, didn't they just give away Willaimson for a bag of balls! That should help!
                  Damn it Jack ... You are correct .. my apologies to the Tribune Co..

I guess they really do want to win ... What a joke they are ..

Comment

The deal is off .. Natl's wanted too much for him ..

Comment

"The deal is off .. Natl's wanted too much for him .."

Dang! The sound of Soriano, Thome, Konerko, Dye was starting to intrigue me for entertainment value alone!

Comment

7-24

GM Ken Williams said he is not shopping RHP Brandon McCarthy, whose name has surfaced in trade speculation involving the Washington Nationals and All-Star Alfonso Soriano. ``All I can tell you is I've had a lot of overtures about Brandon McCarthy. He's a special talent,'' Williams said. McCarthy was 3-4 with a 4.11 ERA in 32 appearances, including one start. After starting 10 games last season, McCarthy has been used almost exclusively in relief due to a crowded rotation. ... Manager Ozzie Guillen said he does not expect to be punished for acknowledging after Sunday's game against Texas that he was upset RHP Jon Garland did not hit Ian Kinsler with a pitch. Garland threw two pitches behind Kinsler leading off the fourth, after the Rangers' Vicente Padilla plunked Alex Cintron the previous inning. ``Why? I do my job,'' Guillen said. ``(Why) suspend me for something when he didn't get it done. I did talk to Garland about the situation. I talked to the players about the situation. I'm not going to wait for two months or (until) spring training. When you've got to get something done, you do it right away.'' Guillen thought Padilla intentionally hit A.J. Pierzynski twice on June 14 and had vowed to retaliate if he plunked another White Sox batter. Although he didn't think Padilla intentionally hit Cintron, Guillen said, ``If I don't do it, I'm going to look like a chicken _ like I don't have any guts.'' ... New backup C Sandy Alomar Jr. was happy to be back in familiar territory after being traded from the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday. A six-time AL All-Star, this is his third stint with the White Sox. ``I like the L.A. organization, it was great,'' Alomar said. ``But it was far from home. And it was not here. This is awesome here.'' Alomar hit .323 with nine RBIs in 27 games for the Dodgers.

Comment

Huge Nats Fan, If they dont get McCarthy I will kill myself.
                          MLB Picks
                          27-32
                          NFL Picks
                          1-0

Red Hot Plays
                          4-1

All Picks are one unit, Red Hot 5

Comment

Working...
                          X