A Point to Ponder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Point to Ponder...

Has anyone else noticed all of the newfound awe that people have picked up for Barry Bonds since last night?

All I heard all morning on the sports yappers radio shows was "No one will ever come even close to acheiving the monumental feat of 500HRs and 500SBs because nobody steals bases anymore when you can play for the HR." Blah Blah Blah

To me this seems like a load of crap. Don't get me wrong, Bonds' accomplishment is tremendous and will be difficult to duplicate... but off the top of my head I can think of a guy who is going to give that "unreachable accomplishment" a run. That man is Alfonzo Soriano.

My point... how can something be "an unbreakable record" when I can think of a guy who has a great shot at doing it without even batting an eye?

You want an unbreakable record... Cy Young's 511 wins... the only record more unlikely to be broken then this might be his 316 losses.

The moral of this story... I am smarter then most guys on the radio.
    The Rice Truck is NEVER Wrong!!!

Wayne Gretzky 50 goals in 39 games is said to be the only record that can nevr be broken in NHL

Comment

I TOTALLY agree Jim but for hitters it really is AMAZING considering there isn't even another player with 400 and 400 so i do think we are watching one of the top 5 players in history and for most of my life the top 5 all-time were people i never had a chance to see. I think he should stay long enough for the home run record but i hear you cause all i listen to during the day is sports talk radio and it was everywhere today. :D

Comment

nut, didn't Gretzky have a 200 point season? I thought he did and i think that is unreal too.:D

Comment

Yes wayne had 4 200 point seasons

but Mario Lemieux had 199 one year and missed 4 games

i think that would be the 2nd hardest to break 216 points in a season

Comment

92 goals will be tough to crack. Gretzky has more than a few "unreachables" IMO.

Comment

To reach 200 points you would need to play all 82 games and average 2.43 points per game and i just don't see that happening again anytime soon.:D

Comment

Not disputing the achievement... I'm disputing one of the talking dope's claims that this may be the most unbreakable record in baseball.

What a joke!!!

Speaking of jokes... Wayne can you recalibrate the website's clock with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (http://www.time.gov).

I think this will alleviate alot of the "*** was late/early with his picks" nonsense.

As you can see in his last post, its listed at 6:08 CDT while the official start time for the Cleveland game was 6:05 CDT.

Comment

JimT

Your point is well taken [ but ] your Cy Young thoughts are after all a little misleading .

Do some home work and you will soon see that for almost a decade he got a great advantage of pitching several feet closer to home plate then most do or have for almost a hundred years , and his mound was inches higher also .

Give that to a Warren Spahn coupled with his longevity and I see that easily going by the way-side ?

IMHO

***MMM***
                  " The Wind Does Not Wait For The Tree To Bend "

Comment

bettorschat has to do that Jim.

Comment

me neither

by the way - in saturdays NHL draft - the first pick overall is the REAL DEAL

Marc Andre Fleury will be a great goaltender in my opinion

Comment

MMM

I believe your claims to be true, but I also believe Cy Young had to go out and beat his opponent who was pitching from that same mound.

Now if you're going to say because he didn't have to throw the ball as far as pitchers do now he was able to make more starts (815 compared to #2 Nolan Ryan 773) and complete SOOOO MANY MORE games (749 - READ THAT AGAIN 749 COMPLETE GAMES!!!) and therefore he was able to rack up a huge number of wins and losses... well it would be a nice try, but I think your argument would still fall short.

MOST UNBREAKABLE RECORD IN BASEBALL - Total IP by a human in a MLB career:

Cy Young 7354 2/3 IP

He averaged 334 IP per year FOR 22 YEARS!!!

Comment

I like who my Bruins drafted, i happened to turn it on right when they were picking and i forget his name but he's a BIG defenseman that is really needed. They were all saying it was a great pick so we will see. I usually only watch the NBA and NFL drafts cause it's the only sports i really followed the players in before they were drafted.:D :D

Comment

Great Insight !

Originally posted by Baseball_Nut
                            me neither

by the way - in saturdays NHL draft - the first pick overall is the REAL DEAL

Marc Andre Fleury will be a great goaltender in my opinion
                            6` 1 `` and 170 pds. just 18 years old and has quite a few bells and whistles as in on his 2002-2003 team Cape Breton QMJHL and at the World Junior Championship [ MVP ] the kid is a mix of [Brodeur] & [Giguere] .

Cant wait to see him grow up !

***MMM***
                            " The Wind Does Not Wait For The Tree To Bend "

Comment

Originally posted by bigjimt
                              Not disputing the achievement... I'm disputing one of the talking dope's claims that this may be the most unbreakable record in baseball.

What a joke!!!

Speaking of jokes... Wayne can you recalibrate the website's clock with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (http://www.time.gov).

I think this will alleviate alot of the "*** was late/early with his picks" nonsense.

As you can see in his last post, its listed at 6:08 CDT while the official start time for the Cleveland game was 6:05 CDT.

I just did but it can get off easily if the server gets rebooted etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X