Texans pass on Bush, Williams agree to contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texans pass on Bush, Williams agree to contract

In what has wound up as a stunning turn of events, the Houston Texans have agreed to terms with Mario Williams and will make the N.C. State defensive end the No. 1 pick in Saturday's draft.

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer is reporting that it is a five-year with an option for a sixth worth $54 million that could go well over $60 million provided that Williams performs at a certain level. Another fact to consider is that the state of Texas has no state income tax, which drives the actual value of the deal even higher.
    The deal has not yet been signed. Williams' agents are examining the actual contract and taking a detailed look at its language.

FOXSports.com also first reported late Friday afternoon that the Texans had told Williams' representatives that he was their choice, and that negotiations with the two sides had intensified.

Williams' signing marks the second time that the Texans have had their first-round pick signed before the draft. QB David Carr agreed to a contract prior to becoming the Texans' first-ever draft choice in 2002. The Texans felt that agreeing to terms with the top pick was important in order to ensure that the player will begin training camp along with the rest of the team.

The Texans have spent their past four first round draft picks on the defensive side of the ball. Defensive tackle Travis Johnson was the 16th overall selection in 2005, and cornerback Dunta Robinson and linebacker Jason Babin were taken with the 10th and 27th in the 2004 draft.

Williams becomes the first N.C. State player to be taken with the first pick in the NFL draft.

In three seasons for the Wolfpack, Williams started 34 of 36 games. He totaled 175 tackles, 55.5 tackles for loss and 26.5 sacks. His 2005 season will go down as one of the greatest in N.C. State history by a defensive end. He set school records in sacks, with 14.5, and tackles for loss, with 27.5. Williams' sack total ranked fourth nationally and he finished second in tackles for loss.

Just Cashed On This
    2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
    2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
    2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

Comment

This will make the Draft an absolute blast to watch...personally, I think this is a colassal mistake. But tomorrow should be a lot of fun...could Bush fall to #3? Does someone (J-E-T-S) trade up to #2 for Bush? I also think Leinert could drop as for as #10.... This will be very interesting!
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

the texans just fell into the category with the chicago cubs, st. louis blues, la clippers..they will never win a championship..they will be wishing for the next 50 years they would have taken reggie bush..there fucking nuts taking williams

Comment

This may be the dumbest draft move in sports since Portland chose Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and at least as bad as Green Bay taking Tony Mandarich before Barry Sanders. What is amazing about this isn't just that Bush is likely to be great but that I think Williams will be a bust. Did anyone watch NC State this year???? They were a .500 team! That's all. Williams disappeared for entire games. What makes this an atrocious pick is not just passing Bush, but passing Young, Leinart, Hawk and even Ferguson to take an overhyped guy who I think is not strong enough to doiminate in the NFL

Comment

Originally posted by griswold
            This may be the dumbest draft move in sports since Portland chose Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and at least as bad as Green Bay taking Tony Mandarich before Barry Sanders. What is amazing about this isn't just that Bush is likely to be great but that I think Williams will be a bust. Did anyone watch NC State this year???? They were a .500 team! That's all. Williams disappeared for entire games. What makes this an atrocious pick is not just passing Bush, but passing Young, Leinart, Hawk and even Ferguson to take an overhyped guy who I think is not strong enough to doiminate in the NFL
            I hadnt even heard of this williams idiot....or cutler till these draft "experts" started blowing them up...young will be good and reggie will be great for the saints theyre not giving him up...look how much they spent on brees

Comment

do you guys watch college ball???...mario williams is sick, he will be amazing..texans have a decent RB at davis and have their receivers stacked now with moulds and johnson...bush will not be as great as everyone puts him to be, dont get me wrong hellbe good but with all this shit going on in his life about the house he got and his usc 2004 title could be forfeited...he will have a lot on his mind the first year...IMO the texans are pretty much set offensively, they just need linemen and a tight end(billy miller is old news)...defensively they lack rushing depth which mario williams who some people COMPARE to the like of the past great reggie white and young bruce smith, will give them this power at the end spot...I know you all are thinking..wait a defensive player can not single handedly win games for them like a RB can...but they need to stop teams defensively in order to get a better shot at winning it..believe me IMO this is a great move and you all will see this in the new NFL season
              Quitters Never Win, Winners Will NEVER Quit

Comment

Dan, I respectfully disagree with you. Bush can change the game anytime he touches the ball, and that is 15-20 times a game...special teams or offense. I agree with you the defenses win championships, but this is an opportunity to draft someone that is a playmaker, someone that can turn a game with one touch of the ball. As for a lot on his mind next year...he didn't break the law, he MAY have broken NCAA rules. So what...he will be counting his millions while the NCAA disciplines his alma mater. It's not like Bush is going to get suspended. As for Williams, stats don't lie. He had sacks in only 44% of his college games and 10 of his 14.5 sacks in 2005 came against mediocre (at best) teams. Williams will be very good, Bush will be great...Texans blew it.
                Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Could not have said it any better Three Jack. The NFL Network keeps showing the last 6 DLs that went #1 overall...OUCH!

Bush will be a stud.

Now what does NO do? They already have Deuce and could use DaBrick House!! Rumors are rampid that Green Bay will be making a push. J Walker and a pick for #2?? Could very well happen.
                  Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

Williams had six different games last season with ZERO sacks. He made his rep with six in one game against Florida State. He's being picked solely because of his physical stats. In my opinion, the top picks in the draft are:

Bush
                    Young
                    Hawk
                    Leinart
                    Cutler

The biggest disappointments will be:
                    Williams
                    Ferguson
                    Davis

Comment

Originally posted by griswold

The Texans will nevet win, agreed on this is the dumbest move ever
                      Questions, comments, complaints:
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by SustainDan
                        do you guys watch college ball???...mario williams is sick, he will be amazing..texans have a decent RB at davis and have their receivers stacked now with moulds and johnson...bush will not be as great as everyone puts him to be, dont get me wrong hellbe good but with all this shit going on in his life about the house he got and his usc 2004 title could be forfeited...he will have a lot on his mind the first year...IMO the texans are pretty much set offensively, they just need linemen and a tight end(billy miller is old news)...defensively they lack rushing depth which mario williams who some people COMPARE to the like of the past great reggie white and young bruce smith, will give them this power at the end spot...I know you all are thinking..wait a defensive player can not single handedly win games for them like a RB can...but they need to stop teams defensively in order to get a better shot at winning it..believe me IMO this is a great move and you all will see this in the new NFL season
                        Agree with that 100% Very well said

Comment

Working...
                        X