Knicks/Raptors Complete Trade..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks/Raptors Complete Trade..

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors finally traded Jalen Rose on Friday, sending him to the New York Knicks for fellow forward Antonio Davis.

The Knicks also received a first-round draft pick and an undisclosed amount of cash from the Raptors in the deal. Toronto acquired the draft pick from the Denver Nuggets in an earlier trade, the Toronto Star reported.

The two teams were set to play each other Friday night at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

John Hollinger's Trade Breakdown
    If there's a player who is the antithesis of what Knicks coach Larry Brown is about, it's Jalen Rose. Brown likes his players mentally tough and defensive-minded; Rose is completely offensive-minded and bristles at the slightest suggestion that he might no longer be a star. The two were paired briefly in Indiana and mixed about as well as peanut butter and tacos. Brown grew incensed by Rose's defensive lapses and banished him to the pine, and Rose got upset.
    Oddly enough, this pattern later repeated itself when Rose played for Thomas in Indiana, which is why I didn't expect to see Rose turn up in New York.

Incidentally, Antonio Davis, now a Raptor for the second time, may agree to a buyout with Toronto, and if so one imagines he'll eventually land back home in Chicago.

• See Holllinger's complete column

Rose, however, was not expected to play in the game -- Knicks coach Larry Brown thought it would be unfair to throw him into action immediately.

"He's exactly what we need," Brown said. "I think it's a no-brainer. I haven't seen a drop-off in his game."

Rose's name has been mentioned in trade rumors all season, but he had been difficult to deal because he is making $15.7 million this season and he has an option for next season.

Still, the Knicks have long been interested in him, even though they already have the NBA's highest payroll. And they couldn't wait much longer to make a move after losing three straight and nine of 10 to fall behind Toronto into last place in the Atlantic Division.

"I can't wait to play in front of the many Knicks fans, friends and family in the NYC area and very much look forward to being a part of the Knicks organization," Rose said in a statement. "Ask any athlete. One of his dreams is to play in New York wearing a Knick uniform. It's also always been a dream of mine."

Davis' contract expires after this season, and the Raptors get some needed salary-cap relief by parting ways with Rose.

It's the second time the veteran forwards have been involved in the same trade. Davis spent 4½ seasons in Toronto before the Raptors traded him to Chicago in 2003.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

god I T just loves washed up players

Comment

It hurts to be a Knicks fan! What a terrible deal that Thomas made. Another overpaid vet who plays no defense. What a joke just for a draft pick and Denver's no less so not even lottery.

Comment

I think it's a great trade for the Knicks, they get a Toronto first round pick, who cares about the rest of the trade

Comment

Is there is a worse GM in the league then Thomas. He has screwed up the Knicks for years to come...

Comment

Who does everyone like in the T-Wolves vs Blazers?

Im thinking Twolves -4 but i havent really seen them play much this year, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X