info on MIA-NIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on MIA-NIU

Running the ball is key to NIU's success: The Huskies are led by junior RB Garrett Wolfe, who ranks seventh in the country in yards per game with 126.5 and opened the season with back-to-back 200-yard games. Wolfe and teammate A.J. Harris (7.9 yards per carry) entered the season as the top returning rushing tandem in the nation. However, NIU is coming off its lowest rushing total in over six years following a 48-42 overtime loss to Akron. The Huskies totaled just 50 yards on the ground as a team, with Wolfe gaining 52 yards on 21 carries. QB Phil Horvath threw for a school-record 486 yards and six touchdowns in the loss, but head coach Joe Novak knows the team needs to run the ball against Miami to be successful. The Huskies are 10-2 ATS in conference home games since 2002.

Betts will try to turn game into another air show: Miami QB Josh Betts ranks third in the MAC with 319.5 yards per game and will try to duplicate Akron QB Luke Getsy's performance of two weeks ago in beating NIU. Getsy, ranked second in the MAC, threw for 406 yards and five TDs, forcing the Huskies away from their ground game by making them throw three TDs just to get to OT. NIU is giving up an average of 30.5 points and nearly 420 yards per game so far in four games this season.

Northern Illinois has one of the best offensive units in the nation, as they’ve averaged 7.5 yards per play against teams that would combine to allow 5.7 yppl to an average team. That includes 7.4 yppl against Michigan and 6.9 yppl against Northwestern, so they have been impressive even against teams from better conferences. Miami-Ohio’s offense isn’t quite as good, but the Redhawks have averaged 5.7 yppl against teams that would allow 5.3 yppl to an average offense, which is good for a MAC team. Miami-Ohio is an average team overall given that their defensive rating is 0.4 yppl worse than average (5.8 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.4 yppl against an average defense) and it will tough for that unit to slow down the Huskies’ attack tonight. Miami-Ohio could stay in the game against a bad NIU stop unit that has surrendered 5.7 yppl this season to teams that would average only 5.2 yppl to an average offense. The Over looks like a pretty good play given that both offensive units should perform well above average in this game
    Remember, one just man causes the Devil greater affliction than a million blind believers

Becareful though Yuri... It is supposed to storm tonight, and have 20 MPH winds.. Also, NIU is planning to run the ball, and keep it away from Mia Ohio and Betts..

Comment

Huskies` game plan concerns total bettors
      Josh Hansen

Joe Novak has a plan: Keep the ball out of the hands of Miami (Ohio) quarterback Josh Betts.

No, but really Joe, how do you plan on doing this when your team owns one of the worst defenses in the MAC?

Easy.

“We need to run the ball. That`s our identity,” the Northern Illinois head coach said when he spilled the beans on his game plan for tonight’s nationally televised game against Miami (Ohio).

“When we throw the ball 40 times, that`s not us, that`s not what we`re about.”

For those playing under the 62-point total, Novak’s news is less than encouraging. Running the ball eats precious seconds off the game clock, limiting the amount of time the MAC’s second-best QB can work against a brutal Huskies defense. Comprised of a number of freshmen, Northern Illinois’ defense has fallen away from the basics of football. They’ve allowed over 445 yards of total offense in three of their first four games, with their only strong defensive performance coming against Divison II Tennessee Tech.

“We`re just not a very good defensive football team right now," Novak admitted. "That side of the ball has to get better. We`re not doing the fundamental things, like tackling, very well."

Or blocking. Last week, freshman running back Garrett Wolfe was held to just 52 yards rushing against a sparse Akron defense. Wolfe was the MAC’s leading rusher heading into the game, so he needs a better performance from his offensive line tonight.

"For me it’s a difficult game to cap because NIU is the ultimate over team," says ****** Expert Ted Sevransky. "Their defense hasn’t been able to stop anyone and Novak apparently doesn’t think they can stop Betts.

"But on the other hand their offense is grade- A. They moved the ball at Michigan, Northwestern and shouldn`t have a problem doing it against Ohio."

The RedHawks` defense is allowing over 150 yards on the ground this season and will be up against the thunder and lightning duo of Garrett and A.J. Harris. Wolfe rumbled for over 200 yards in back-to-back games to open the season, while Harris is averaging over 12 yards per carry for the Huskies

Comment

Great info Jessica. I really appreciate it, gives me time to reconsider.
        Remember, one just man causes the Devil greater affliction than a million blind believers

Comment

Originally posted by yuri
          Great info Jessica. I really appreciate it, gives me time to reconsider.
          I think if this games turns into a running game, NIU kills Mia Ohio.. I see that Mia ohio gives up alot on the ground, and NIU picks up alot of yards on the ground.. Also, Mia Ohio is only averaging like 2.5 yards per carry on the road. Without their passing game, this could get ugly.. I think NIU wins it 30-17

Comment

Thanks for your input Jess!

Comment

thanks

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Working...
              X