Blacksheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SI.com/Stewart Mandel NCAA

Sat., 6 p.m. ET | CBS No. 3 Auburn (11-0) vs. No. 15 Tennessee (9-2)
    These conference championship games don't make a whole lot of sense. To win their first SEC title since 1989, the Tigers have to beat Tennessee twice, but the Vols only have to go 1-1 against Auburn to win the same prize. It's like ... a playoff.
    Auburn 24, Tennessee 13

Sat., 1 p.m. ET | ABC No. 10 Virginia Tech (9-2) at No. 9 Miami (8-2)
    Why yes, thank you, we will accept that invitation to your conference, ACC. And while we're at it, we'll go ahead and take your BCS berth. By the way, it's December. Don't the rest of you have some basketball games to go to?
    Miami 24, Virginia Tech 21

Sat., 8 p.m. ET | ABC No. 2 Oklahoma (11-0) vs. Colorado (7-4)
    Buffs coach Gary Barnett was named Big 12 coach of the year this week. Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, who just completed his second straight undefeated regular season, must be thinking, "What do you want me to do, lose four games?"
    Oklahoma 52, Colorado 17

Sat., 4:30 p.m. ET | ABC No. 1 USC (11-0) at UCLA (6-5)
    The Trojans won their previous three regular-season finales under Pete Carroll by a combined score of 123-41. The last time they played UCLA at the Rose Bowl, they hung 52 on the Bruins. Hope UCLA enjoyed its three weeks off.
    USC 42, UCLA 21

Sat., 7:45 p.m. ET | ESPN No. 4 Cal (9-1) at Southern Miss (6-4)
    Southern Miss officials were peeved when Cal hastily postponed its September trip to Hattiesburg because of Hurricane Ivan. Cal folks will be regretting their decision for eternity if the game costs them a Rose Bowl trip.
    Cal 35, Southern Miss 17

Sat., 11 a.m. ET | ESPN2 No. 19 Pittsburgh (7-3) at South Florida (4-6)
    It's Hurricane Game II, only this one couldn't have worked out better for the Panthers, who are playing infinitely better than they were in September. Will there be anyone left in the stands at the end to throw Tostitos on to the field?
    Pittsburgh 34, South Florida 21

Sat., 2:30 p.m. ET | CBS Army (2-8) vs. Navy (8-2)
    At the rate Bobby Ross is working, by this time next year this game finally will be known for more than its pageantry. And don't be fooled by the difference in records -- the improving Black Knights will fight until the end.
    Navy 38, Army 24

Thu., 10 a.m. ET | ESPN2 This week's upset special
    Michigan State (5-6) at Hawaii (6-5)
    As soon as the Warriors leave the island, they lose by scores such as 69-3 and 70-14. At home, though, they're pretty tough to beat, as Northwestern found out last weekend. Does Hawaii salute Timmy Chang now or wait until the bowl game?
    Hawaii 40, Michigan State 32
    Last week: 7-1. Overall: 65-39.
    Lord Knows I'm A Voodoo Child

My record Click Here

Comment

SI.com/Peter King NFL

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Minnesota at Chicago
      With Chicago down 30-0 and two minutes left, George enters the game and throws an 80-yard touchdown pass to Bernard Berrian on his first snap back in the league.
      Minnesota 30, Chicago 7

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Cincinnati at Baltimore
      Striped ones will run Rudi Johnson right at No. 52.
      Baltimore 16, Cincinnati 15

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup New England at Cleveland
      "Now they can take a deep breath and just play," Butch Davis told me the other night about his old team. Yup. The players actually seem to like Terry Robiskie, and I think they'll play hard for him.
      New England 19, Cleveland 16

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Arizona at Detroit
      Handling the ball for the Cardinals in this game will be guys named Navarre and Croom. News flash: I don't like Arizona's chances.
      Detroit 21, Arizona 6

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Tennessee at Indianapolis
      I do believe Steve McNair is contemplating the end of his career. I think Titans fans may see him for only one more year.
      Indianapolis 31, Tennessee 17

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Buffalo at Miami
      This may not exactly pay Ralph Wilson back for all the years of indignity in south Florida, but it will be sweet for him to see his Bills running up and down the field on his old nemesis.
      Buffalo 35, Miami 10

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Carolina at New Orleans
      Every week, when it comes time to pick the Saints game, I close my eyes and take a wild guess, because I never have the slightest clue how they'll play. Bizarre, bizarre ballclub.
      New Orleans 21, Carolina 14

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Houston at N.Y. Jets
      The Jets' offense gets unearthed a little bit with Chad Pennington back under center. But Pennington's shoulder still hurts. This is going to be a 190-yard rushing day by Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan.
      New York Jets 27, Houston 23

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup San Francisco at St. Louis
      The real upset here is the 49ers putting up 10.
      St. Louis 49, San Francisco 10

Sunday, 1 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Atlanta at Tampa Bay
      Brian Griese throws three big ones. And the nicest kid in the world, Chris Simms, sits on the sidelines, tries to look happy, and says to himself: "I was one Todd Steussie whiff-block away from experiencing all the success Griese's having." Steussie's missed block led to a crushing hit on Simms by the Saints in October and ended his chance of being the quarterback of the present for the Bucs.
      Tampa Bay 27, Atlanta 16

Sunday, 4:05 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Kansas City at Oakland
      Big game for Ed Podolak, and a Jan Stenerud 42-yarder with time expiring wins it. John Madden stomps off the field disgustedly, and Hank Stram pirouettes off, howling with glee.
      Kansas City 24, Oakland 23

Sunday, 4:05 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Denver at San Diego
      I know this will break the hearts of the Bolts-crazed among you, but it's my last gasp at common sense in the AFC West, and my last shred of belief in Jake Plummer. If he's a good and clutch player, he'll come through big in this game.
      Denver 27, San Diego 14

Sunday, 4:15 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Green Bay at Philadelphia
      Love this game. Hope it lasts till 8 p.m. I think Terrell Owens watched Green Bay on Monday night and said, "Lord, please, just this one time ... give me Al Harris, singled, for three hours next week."
      Philadelphia 30, Green Bay 28

Sunday, 4:15 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup N.Y. Giants at Washington
      Is it my imagination, or do the Giants wideouts, as the calendar turns to December, have zero touchdown catches this year?
      Washington 7, New York Giants 6

Sunday, 8:30 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Pittsburgh at Jacksonville
      Love this game II. Desperate team beats the better team. For some reason, I see Fred Taylor running well, eating the clock and winning the game for the Jags.
      Jacksonville 16, Pittsburgh 14

Monday, 9 p.m.
      Preview | Matchup Dallas at Seattle
      Vinny Testaverde plays, Jerry Jones puts on the brave face. The Vin-man throws the game-winner to Jason Witten with five minutes to play.
      Dallas 22, Seattle 20
      Last week: 10-6 Overall: 101-75

My record Click Here

Comment

Espn.com staff picks(SU)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

My record Click Here

Comment

Espn.com Hector & Victor

Vikings 23, @ Bears 7 More...

Panthers 24, @ Saints 16 More...

@ Rams 34, 49ers 13 More...

Falcons 20, @ Buccaneers 13 More...

@ Jets 16, Texans 10 More...

Patriots 27, @ Browns 17 More...

@ Lions 24, Cardinals 9 More...

@ Colts 35, Titans 24 More...

Bills 24, @ Dolphins 10 More...

@ Ravens 23, Bengals 17 More...

Chiefs 27, @ Raiders 24 More...

@ Chargers 27, Broncos 20 More...

@ Eagles 27, Packers 24 More...

@ Redskins 17, Giants 3 More...

Steelers 20, @ Jaguars 7 More...

@ Seahawks 23, Cowboys 17 More...

My record Click Here

Comment

more on ssaturday

My record Click Here

Comment

NY Daily News/Phil Steele

-
              Attached Files

My record Click Here

Comment

MSNBC Predicitons 101/ John Tamanaha

No. 2 Oklahoma vs. CU
                This is where the trouble started a year ago. Unable to protect QB Jason White, the Sooners imploded in last year’s Big 12 Championship loss to Kansas State and then continued the trend, melting down against LSU in the BCS title game. Oklahoma will attempt to get it right this time, returning to Arrowhead Stadium to face Colorado, the unlikely North Division champion.

Helping the cause greatly is the rugged Sooner running game. Last season, Oklahoma was ranked at No. 65 in the nation in rushing offense and teams went right after White. This year, freshman RB Adrian Peterson, who leads the country with 286 rushing attempts, has changed all that. He has run for 1,671 yards this season, including nine carries for 35 or more yards.

Colorado’s red-zone defense is the best in the Big 12 at 65 percent, but the Sooners are just too tough to defend at any spot on the field. Give the Buffs credit for overcoming major offseason distractions and a horrid start to the conference season to make it to Kansas City, but there will be no Fiesta.

Weather updates: Click here

Opening point spread: Oklahoma by 21.5

Pick: Oklahoma 36-17

No. 3 Auburn
                vs. No. 15 Tennessee
                The last time these two met, it couldn’t have been much worse for the Volunteers. Playing in front of the home folks, Tennessee wasn’t able to compete with Auburn, turning over the football six times and allowing the Tigers to score on five of their first six possessions. Phillip Fulmer might still be seeing Auburn safety Junior Rosegreen, who had four interceptions, in his nightmares.

In their last opportunity to gain ground on Oklahoma in the BCS rankings, the Tigers should be happy to see Tennessee on the other side of the field in Atlanta. Since losing to Notre Dame, the Vols have enjoyed some success with third-string QB Rick Clausen passing for 606 yards in a pair of victories. But squeakers over Kentucky and Vanderbilt don’t quite compare to what he’ll face at the Georgia Dome.

Auburn’s top-ranked scoring defense (9.6 points allowed per game) looks even better when one considers that 67 of the 106 points that the Tigers have given up have been allowed when they were leading by 20 points or more.

Along with the suffocating defense, the three-headed monster offensive attack of Jason Campbell, “Cadillac” Williams and Ronnie Brown, gives Auburn the upper hand once again.

Weather updates: Game indoors

Opening point spread: Auburn by 13

Pick: Auburn 26-10

No. 1 USC at UCLA
                The top-ranked Trojans are hoping that this is their last trip to the Rose Bowl this season. Normally eager to visit Pasadena, USC has its sight set on the Orange Bowl and only a stunning loss to crosstown rival UCLA can foul up Pete Carroll’s travel plans. How’s that for a change? The Trojans advance to the Rose Bowl only if they lose to the Bruins.

UCLA hasn’t played since Nov. 13. Three weeks of idle time spent listening to the local and national media dissect USC’s BCS situation should have the Bruins rested and ready to offer their best effort. However, a rusty first quarter could prove fatal if UCLA can’t get into a groove. Even teams that come out of the gate well versus the Trojans (Notre Dame most recently) wilt in the second half when USC turns up the heat.

The Bruins, who have greatly improved their running game this year, are averaging 6.2 yards per offensive play, so they do have some punch. But, the Trojans are quite adept at standing toe-to-toe with all comers and don’t figure to let UCLA tailback Maurice Drew get loose, especially since he has a gimpy ankle.

Opening point spread: USC by 19.5

Pick: USC 47-10

No. 10 Virginia Tech
                at No. 9 Miami. Fla.
                In their first year since both defected from the Big East to the ACC, the Hurricanes and Hokies will close the regular season against each other with the championship of their new conference on the line.

Both squads are hot. Virginia Tech has won its last two games (Maryland and Virginia) by a combined score of 79-16. In its last two victories (Virginia and Wake Forest), Miami rushed for a grand total of 358 yards and passed for 601, while the defense allowed only 130 yards through the air.

The Hurricanes have a distinct homefield advantage and the revenge angle. Last year, these two teams met in Blacksburg, where Virginia Tech jumped all over Miami 31-7 handing the 'Canes their only loss by more than seven points since 1999.

Bryan Randall, Virginia Tech’s all-time passing and total offense leader, is capable of taking over a game, but Miami’s Brock Berlin is finally in a steady groove. In his last seven games, Berlin has thrown for 19 touchdowns and only a pair of interceptions. He’ll be the difference, making the big plays in the final minutes.

Opening point spread: Miami, Fla. by 7

Pick: Miami, Fla. 27-23

No. 7 Louisville
                at Tulane
                This Cardinals juggernaut was nothing short of amazing in November, scoring an average of 61.5 points in four victories, the most recent being a 70-7 shellacking of Cincinnati. Louisville wouldn’t be Tulane coach Chris Scelfo’s first choice of an opponent, especially when bowl eligibility and a winning record hang in the balance.

The Green Wave have won their last three and four of the last five, but the Conference USA champion Cardinals are too much to tackle. And as if he needed any more added incentive, Louisville QB Stefan LeFors will be playing near his hometown of Baton Rouge. LeFors is completing a stunning 74.5 percent of his passes and pilots the nation’s most prolific offense (538.2 yards per game).

Last week, Tulane QB Richard Irvin was outstanding in his first career start, completing 22-of-37 for 282 yards at TCU. In the final moments of the 35-31 victory over the Horned Frogs, he engineered a 12-play, 99-yard drive that ended with his fifth touchdown pass of the day. But, since the Green Wave defense won’t offer much resistance, Tulane can’t score nearly enough points to keep things interesting.

Weather updates: Game indoors

Opening point spread: Louisville by 25.5

Pick: Louisville 56-20

Army vs. Navy
                The Midshipmen really have the Black Knights backed into a corner as they come charging for their second consecutive outright Commander in Chief’s Trophy in East Rutherford. Unable to stop the run all season, allowing an average of 243.8 rushing yards per game (115th in the country), Army has a great deal to prove against their archrivals at Navy, which owns the nation’s third-best rushing attack with a 290-yard average on the ground.

Cadet LB Greg Washington, who leads the nation in tackles, will be even busier than usual. Bobby Ross has done a commendable job turning Army (0-13 last season) in the right direction. But, he’ll need three or four more defenders like Washington to slow down Midshipmen FB Kyle Eckel and QB Aaron Polanco, who have accounted for a total of 27 touchdowns this season.

The Midshipmen will know at halftime that they’ll be singing their alma mater last in the greatest postgame tradition in sports.

Opening point spread: Navy by 12

Pick: Navy 34-20

No. 4 Cal at So. Miss
                Back in mid-September, Hurricane Ivan forced this game into December, extending the drama in what has been the Golden Bears’ best season in more than half a century. California coach Jeff Tedford has everything rolling along so well it doesn’t matter when they play this one. The result is almost predetermined.

In last year’s game between the two teams in Berkeley, the Golden Eagles opened the scoring with a safety and held a 2-0 lead throughout the first quarter, but the Bears came up with the final 34 points to score a near wipeout.

The Southern Miss offense will get on the scoreboard in this one, especially since kicker Darren McCaleb has converted on all 14 of his field goal attempts, but don’t expect a double-digit number. Although overshadowed by its teammates on offense, the Cal defense is allowing only 13.1 points per game (No. 4 in the nation). Two Bear opponents have been shut out this season and two more have been held to a touchdown or less.

Since “style points” count now more than ever for the BCS, Tedford will make use of every opportunity given to him by a Southern Miss defense that has struggled as of late.

Opening point spread: California by 21

Pick: California 42-9

Michigan St. at Hawaii
                In an attempt to avoid the same fate as Northwestern, the Spartans went to extremes this week. Coach John L. Smith had the heat turned up in his indoor practice facility, way up to a humid 80 degrees, and conducted his own version of midnight madness, practicing from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. Such is life, when you’ve got a long journey to Aloha Stadium looming on the horizon.

Northwestern paid a similar Big Ten visit to Honolulu last week, which ended with a 49-41 loss to the Warriors that snuffed out the Wildcats’ postseason aspirations. Now it is Michigan State’s turn to play the role of spoiler as Hawaii needs another victory to earn an invitation to the Hawaii Bowl.

Unless the Warriors are able to win their sixth consecutive home game, this contest will mark the end of Timmy Chang’s record-breaking career. The only player in NCAA history to pass for more than 16,000 yards, he was 31-of-56 for 405 yards and four touchdowns in the come-from-behind win over Northwestern.

Both defenses are very susceptible to what the other team does well, but Hawaii’s passing circus will prevail over Michigan State’s ground attack.

Opening point spread: Michigan State by 6

Pick: Hawaii 38-36

Total: Outright 98-32; Against spread 66-59-4
                Week 14: Outright 0-1; Against spread 0-1
                LL: Miami, Oh (+1.5) 36, Toledo 31 (Toledo 35-27)
                Pittsburgh (-7) 31, S. Florida 17
                Miami, Fla. 27, Va. Tech (+7) 23
                Louisville (-25.5) 56, Tulane 20
                Navy (-12) 34, Army 20
                USC (-19.5) 47, UCLA 10
                Auburn (-13) 26, Tennessee 10
                Cal (-21) 42, So. Miss 9
                Oklahoma 36, Colorado (+21.5) 17
                Hawaii (+6) 38, Michigan St. 36

Week 13: Outright 7-3; Against spread 6-4
                Week 12: Outright 9-1; Against spread 6-3
                Week 11: Outright 6-4; Against spread 5-5
                Week 10: Outright 8-2; Against spread 8-2
                Week 9: Outright 7-3; Against spread 4-5-1
                Week 8: Outright 9-1; Against spread 5-5
                Week 7: Outright 9-1; Against spread 6-4
                Week 6: Outright 6-4; Against spread 2-8
                Week 5: Outright 7-3; Against spread 4-6
                Week 4: Outright 9-1; Against spread 2-6-2
                Week 3: Outright 8-2; Against spread 8-1-1
                Week 2: Outright 6-4; Against spread 5-5
                Week 1: Outright 7-2; Against spread 5-4

Key: W/L outright, W/L vs. spread, pick, final score

• Print this

My record Click Here

Comment

MSNBC Predicitons Jay Novacek NFL (SU?)

Packers (7-4) at Eagles (10-1)
                  The Packers’ defense is playing surprisingly well. They have the ability to stop the run up the middle with Grady Jackson back, and their linebackers are playing well. Plus, their secondary players fly around, take chances and make plays.

Green Bay, which has won six straight to retake the NFC North lead, must continue to establish the run. If Najeh Davenport or Ahman Green can run, then Brett Favre is able to pick defenses apart.

The Eagles are on a roll, too. They are starting to find their rhythm on offense, and they are a truly balanced team. When Brian Westbrook is running and Donovan McNabb is accurate with his passes, that team is lethal.

Philly will need to mix things up against Green Bay’s defense. The Eagles can’t give the Packers an opportunity to key on one phase of the game, and they must mix the pass and run very well.

On defense, the Eagles will focus on stopping the Packers’ rushing attack. They have a much tougher defense against the run than the Rams. Then they’ll get pressure on Favre.

Pick: Eagles

Broncos (7-4) at Chargers (8-3)
                  The winner here will be in charge in the AFC West, and the Chargers are a team on a big roll.

Even though the Broncos are poised for a rebound after a frustrating loss to the Raiders, the Chargers are the more consistent team.

Denver might be due for a letdown after losing a game in which everything SHOULD have gone its way. The Broncos had their rival at home, in the snow, and they might be due to slip.

San Diego’s only concern is, when will the team have a bad week? But the Chargers aren’t a team that is likely for a letup, because every facet of their game is in synch. They’re running well, passing well and playing good defense. The Chargers don’t need to rely on any one part of their game.

Pick: Chargers

Steelers (10-1) at Jaguars (6-5)
                  The Jaguars can’t afford another loss, because they’re still in the hunt for a playoff spot. But they face a tough task against the Steelers, who might be the most consistent team in the league.

Pittsburgh needs to play good – not great – to beat Jacksonville. The Steelers have such a bruising running attack, and everything keys off that. Jerome Bettis is providing such a great attack, with such fresh legs, and if Duce Staley can return, he’ll make them even more dangerous.

Ben Roethlisberger needs to continue to avoid mistakes, because that’s all the Steelers need from him.

The Jaguars’ magic appears gone, and now they’re not getting the bounces they once did. That can wear on a team. Jacksonville’s players are looking for that spark, and it will be hard to find this week.

Pick: Steelers

Falcons (9-2) at Buccaneers (4-7)
                  This will seem odd, but the Buccaneers’ struggles are symbolized by their kicking game. During their heyday, the Bucs could depend on Martin Gramatica to hit field goals. But he missed three last week, and he was cut. That’s how the season has been for Tampa.

For all the talk about Michael Vick and his dazzling ability, the Falcons have been winning with defense. They shut down opponents. Then, if the game is close, Vick can make something happen.

The Falcons will steal the Panthers’ script to beat the Bucs. Atlanta will stop Tampa’s run and force Brian Greise to pass. He can be effective, but not if the Bucs are one-dimensional.

The Falcons are playing with confidence – they know they will find a way to win.

Pick: Falcons

Bengals (5-6) at Ravens (7-4)
                  I thought I was watching the Rams or Chiefs, not the Bengals. After putting up 58 points against the Browns, the Bengals will be tired this week!

Cincy is playing a very good defense in Baltimore, and the Bengals know they won’t have the same success as they did last week. The emotional rush of the win over the Browns might wear them down, too.

The Ravens are a better team than they showed last week in their loss to the Pats. They will realize that they had a tough game against the defending champs on the road, and they should rebound. If they can stop Rudi Johnson’s running, they will tee off on Palmer and force him into turnovers.

Pick: Ravens

Vikings (7-4) at Bears (4-7)
                  The Bears looked terrible – just terrible – against the Cowboys. Dallas didn’t look good, but Chicago looked worse.

The Bears’ quarterback struggles continue. I don’t think Chad Hutchinson is the answer. He’s a talented player, but coming over from baseball is a hard, hard transition. He won’t be able to jump in right away. And Jeff George was playing when I was!

The Vikings know they need this win. They need to put things together for a playoff run – they’re a talented team and should be able to handle the Bears. With Randy Moss back for another week, he should become a bigger part of the offense and make them that much more dangerous.

Pick: Vikings

Patriots (10-1) at Browns (3-8)
                  This week the Browns will score 80 points, right? Well, I don’t think so.

The Patriots are looking very tough right now. They are beaten up a little bit in the secondary, but as is always the case with Bill Belichick’s teams, someone else is stepping in and making plays. They’ll be fine on defense, and they will overpower the Browns with their balanced attack. Corey Dillon should be able to run well and New England will control the clock.

Pick: Patriots

Cardinals (4-7) at Lions (4-7)
                  The Cardinals are scrambling, especially at quarterback. Bringing in John Navarre off the scout team seems like Denny Green is searching for something – anything – to spark his team. Who knows? Maybe Navarre was lighting up the scout teams, and Green figured he didn’t have anything to lose. But I think it’s a sign of desperation.

The Lions at least know that the Cardinals won’t do them what the Colts did on Thanksgiving. Detroit is tough at home, and they ran the ball well on Indy in the first half and should do it again this week.

Pick: Lions

Titans (4-7) at Colts (8-3)
                  Peyton Manning looks like he’s having so much fun right now, and the game is coming so easy for him. It’s fun to watch him play.

The Colts are just too good right now. Against a team that they can handle defensively, the Colts are in good shape. The Titans don’t have the firepower to keep up with the Colts, and Indy’s defense is at its best when it can gamble and get after the quarterback. Unless Chris Brown returns and puts up a marvelous day, Tennessee is in trouble.

Pick: Colts

Bills (5-6) at Dolphins (2-9)
                  The way the Bills are playing right now, they have the playoffs in sight. They are a dangerous team. If a few bounces had gone their way, they might be 7-4!

The Dolphins are struggling, while the Bills are on a roll. They’re playing with confidence on offense, and a lot of that comes from running the ball well. They give Willis McGahee the ball, let him do some things, and opposing defenses can’t tee off on Drew Bledsoe.

The Bills have always had a solid defense, and now that the offense is coming around, they’re a sleeper team.

Pick: Bills

Panthers (4-7) at Saints (4-7)
                  These teams are hard to figure out. They both played well last week, and they aren’t out of the NFC playoff race yet. The Panthers are coming off a win, while the Saints are off a loss but at home.

The Saints have done some good things, but they’re very sporadic right now. If Carolina can run, it will handle the game.

The Panthers are the more experienced group, and even though there’s still a bit of a Super Bowl hangover, they have a resiliency. Carolina is starting to gel, play more as a team.

Pick: Panthers

Texans (5-6) at Jets (8-3)
                  The Texans have done a great job rebounding from an early slump. They appear to be over the hump that has held them back the past few seasons. They are moving the ball well on offense, with David Carr showing confidence and Domanick Davis running hard.

If Chad Pennington sits out again, then the Jets are vulnerable. Quincy Carter has struggled more and more each week as the starting quarterback, and opposing teams are containing his scrambling and letting him make mistakes. But if Pennington returns, the Jets will be far too good. He’s such an accurate, smart quarterback.

Pick: Jets

49ers (1-10) at Rams (5-6)
                  The Rams looked bad last week, but they’re not out of the playoff race. They couldn’t stop the Packers’ rushing attack, but the Rams offense was impressive.

Against San Francisco, if Marc Bulger can throw for 400 yards, St. Louis will win.
                  Plus, the Rams are much more dangerous at home on the turf. That’s where they can capitalize on their impressive team speed.

Pick: Rams

Chiefs (3-8) at Raiders (4-7)
                  The Raiders are too inconsistent right now to jump on their bandwagon. They’re coming off an impressive upset of their rivals, the Broncos, and there’s not much reason to think they’ll get on a win streak.

The Chiefs haven’t shown much consistency, either, but they can score points on anyone, and they’ll match up well against the Raiders defense. Expect Kansas City to establish a strong rushing attack.

Pick: Chiefs

Giants (5-6) at Redskins (3-8)
                  Eli Manning will have a better game this week than he did against the Eagles. He got his one “awful” game out of the way, and he’ll click more with his receivers.

The Giants defense will help Manning out, too. They’ll stop the Redskins’ woeful offense and give their offense good field position. They can take the pressure off Manning and the offense.

Pick: Giants

Cowboys (4-7) at Seahawks (6-5)
                  I am finally ready to jump off the bandwagon on the Seahawks. They haven’t shown the mental strength this season – they haven’t reacted well to adversity.

Some of the Seahawks players are upset with Mike Holmgren’s coaching. They’re frustrated with some of the playcalling and how the offense has stalled. The Seahawks have the talent to succeed, but they haven’t gotten over the hump.

The Cowboys, meanwhile, aren’t counting themselves out. They are inspired by Bill Parcells, and they know they need to win just a few games.

The Dallas running game is invigorated by rookie Julius Jones, too. He looked very effective against the Bears. Add that to Vinny Testaverde’s health, and if he can play, they’ll be solid.

Pick: Cowboys

LAST WEEK: 8-8; SEASON RECORD: 105-71

My record Click Here

Comment

FOXSports /TheSportsAdvisors

HOUSTON at NEW YORK JETS
                    Houston, 5-6 SU and 5-5-1 ATS, covered for the second straight game with last week's 31-21 win over visiting Tennessee. The Texans, who have allowed 80 points in their last two road games and are ranked 30th in the league in total defense, have failed to cover in seven straight on the highway after scoring a spread victory the week before. They're also on a 1-3 spread slide following back-to-back home games.

The Sports Advisors

Analyst Trace Adams, who has won 20 of his last 31 NFL releases, has another rare 3,000* play going today on the Buffalo-Miami contest. Last Sunday Trace nailed his 3000* selection with the Bengals downing the Browns. Put your trust in Trace today and grab another Free NFL Pick as well at TheSportsAdvisors.com

New York improved to 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS with last week's 13-3 win and cover at Arizona. The Jets beat the Texans 19-14 as a 3 ½-point road chalk last year in Week 7. They've covered nine of their last 13 against non-division AFC foes, but only have two offensive touchdowns in their last two games.

Chad Pennington is expected to return to the Jets' helm following a three-game absence because of a strained rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. New York won two of three with back-up Quincy Carter starting during Pennington's absence.

Totals Tip: The Texans have stayed under in three of their last four after back-to-back home games, while the Jets have failed top the posted price in six of their last nine overall.

ATS ADVANTAGE: NEW YORK

CINCINNATI at BALTIMORE
                    Cincinnati, 5-6 SU and 4-6-1 ATS, has failed to cover just once in its last six games following its 58-48 win and cover over visiting Cleveland last week.

The Bengals lost 23-9 to the Ravens as a two-point home dog in Week 3 as Carson Palmer was sacked four times while tossing three picks. They've covered just three of their last 15 against Baltimore and are on a 5-18 spread slide in December road games.

Baltimore dropped to 7-4 SU and 8-3 ATS with its 24-3 loss at New England a week ago. The Ravens, who had covered six straight prior to last week's setback, are on a spread run of 9-0-1 off a straight-up road loss. They've also covered 30 of their last 40 against losing teams.

Totals Tip: Cincinnati has sailed over in seven of its last eight division road games, while the Ravens have gone over in 11 of their last 14 as a home chalk of 4 to 10 points.

ATS ADVANTAGE: BALTIMORE

NEW ENGLAND at CLEVELAND
                    New England improved to 10-1 SU and 8-2-1 ATS with last Sunday's three-touchdown win over visiting Baltimore. The Patriots, who limited the Ravens to just three first downs and 29 offensive yards in the second half, are on a very profitable overall spread run of 20-5-2. They beat visiting Cleveland 9-3 as a 4½-point favorite in Week 8 last season.

Cleveland, 3-8 SU and 4-7 ATS, has failed to win or cover in four straight following last week's 10-point loss at Cincinnati. The Browns, who have lost five straight on the scoreboard, are 8-20 straight-up since making the playoffs two years ago.

Cleveland head coach Butch Davis stepped down this week and has been replaced on an interim basis by offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie, who inherits a club that's covered four of six home games this year.

Totals Tip: New England has played over in five of six on the road versus an avenging team. Meanwhile the Browns, who played in the second highest scoring game in league history last week, have topped the posted price in five of their last six after facing the Bengals.

ATS ADVANTAGE: NEW ENGLAND

ARIZONA at DETROIT
                    Arizona, 4-7 SU and 6-5 ATS, has failed to win or cover in two straight following last week's 10-point home loss to the Jets. The Cardinals, who have covered just two of their last 13 non-division road games, are only 2-13 versus the number in their last 15 on the highway after a pair of straight-up losses.

The Sports Advisors

Get a FREE SELECTION daily by email from the nationally-recognized Sports Advisors' staff of professional analysts. Every pick, whether it be in football or hoops, is backed by in-depth analysis to get you on the winning track. And, it's FREE! Just click on the submit button below to be added to the daily e-mail list immediately!

Rookie John Navarre, the former Michigan standout who has never appeared in a regular season game, will start at quarterback. He is the third such signal-caller to get the nod at the Cards' helm this season.

Detroit is on a 0-5 straight-up and 1-4 versus the spread slide following its Thanksgiving Day 41-9 loss to visiting Indianapolis. The Lions, 4-7 SU and 5-6 ATS, beat the visiting Cardinals 42-24 in the 2003 season opener.

The Lions are on a spread slide of 8-23 as a non-division favorite and have failed to win or cover in four straight at Ford Field, losing by 12½, 31, 10½ and 22½ points against the number.

Totals Tip: The Lions have sailed over in 10 of their last 13 after playing on Thanksgiving. But beware because they do have the league's worst rated offense this season.

ATS ADVANTAGE: NONE

TENNESSEE at INDIANAPOLIS
                    Tennessee fell to 4-7 SU/ATS with its 10-point loss at Houston last week. The Titans lost 31-17 to the Colts as a two-point home dog in Week 2 as Indy rallied with three fourth quarter touchdowns. Tennessee has failed to win or cover in three straight versus the Colts, but is on an 8-3 spread run when getting points on the road in December.

Indianapolis, 8-3 SU and 7-3-1 ATS, won and covered for the third straight game with its 32-point win at Detroit on Turkey Day. The Colts are averaging 34.5 points per game this year and quarterback Peyton Manning, who has been sacked just six times this season, has 24 touchdowns passes in his last five outings.

The Colts have covered nine of their last 11 December games versus an opponent that failed to win or cover the week before.

Totals Tip: The Colts have gone over in eight of their last 10 following back-to-back road games.

ATS ADVANTAGE: INDIANAPOLIS

MINNESOTA at CHICAGO
                    Minnesota, 7-4 SU and ATS, has covered three of its last four following its 27-16 win over visiting Jacksonville last Sunday. The Vikings, who won 27-22 over the Bears as a 10-point home chalk in Week 3, have covered only four of their last 16 as a division road chalk. They're also 0-3 SU/ATS in their last three visits to the Windy City.

Chicago is 4-7 SU and 6-5 ATS after failing to cover in its Thanksgiving Day 21-7 loss at Dallas. The Bears, who lost starting quarterback Rex Grossman to a season-ending knee injury in the season's first meeting, are averaging just 197 yards total offense in eight games since he went down.

Chad Hutchinson, the former Cowboys' castoff, will become the Bears' fourth different starting quarterback and he'll try to jump-start an offense that averages only 15.6 points per game.

Chicago is on spread runs of 8-1 at home seeking revenge versus a division foe and 15-3 as a home pup off a pair of straight-up losses.

Totals Tip: The Vikings have stayed under in five of their last seven as a division road chalk, while the Bears have gone over just once in their last eight as a division home dog.

ATS ADVANTAGE: UNDER

BUFFALO at MIAMI
                    Buffalo, 5-6 SU and 7-4 ATS, has won and covered two straight with its 38-9 win at Seattle last week. The Bills won 20-13 over visiting Miami as a five-point favorite in Week 6 as they out-gained the Dolphins 341-212.

Buffalo, which has won and covered four of its last five overall, is on spread slides of 1-8-1 as a division road chalk and 3-10 in division road games.

Miami is 2-9 SU and 4-7 ATS after covering for the second straight game in last week's 24-17 win at San Francisco. The Dolphins have covered three of four at home over the Bills and six of the last nine overall in this series. However, Miami is on a 0-9 spread slide when playing with same-season revenge, and has covered just once in its last 11 at Pro Player Stadium.

Totals Tip: Buffalo, which has the league's fourth-ranked defense, has stayed under in four straight in the second of back-to-back road games. The Dolphins, who were limited to only 49 yards rushing last week, have stayed under the total in six of their last eight at home off of back-to-back highway affairs.

ATLANTA at TAMPA BAY
                    Atlanta, 9-2 SU and 5-6 ATS, had covered three straight prior to last week's 24-21 win over visiting New Orleans as a 9½-point chalk.

The Sports Advisors

The # 1 rated football analyst at The Sports Advisors remains Brian Myers, who is on a 42-22-2 NFL run over the past 2 ½ months. Get today's Free NFL Pick from Brian now at TheSportsAdvisors.com

The Falcons, who can clinch the NFC South title with a win, covered the 3½-point spread in a 24-14 win over visiting Tampa Bay three weeks ago. They've won and covered two straight over the Buccaneers and are on a spread run on the road of 8-1-1 off of back-to-back straight-up wins. They're also 3-1 SU/ATS in their last four road games this year.

Tampa Bay fell to 4-7 SU and 4-6-1 ATS with last week's 21-14 loss as a three-point favorite at Carolina. The Buccaneers are on a 15-4 spread run after failing to win or cover the week before. Also, as a home dog or favorite of three or less, Tampa Bay has scored the spread win in 11 of its last 12 games.

Totals Tip: Tampa Bay has sailed over in five straight at home when playing with same-season revenge.

SAN FRANCISCO at ST. LOUIS
                    San Francisco, 1-10 SU and 4-7 ATS, has failed to cover in five straight with last week's touchdown loss to visiting Miami. The 49ers, who lost 24-14 to the Rams as a 3½-point home dog in Week 4, are on spread slides in this series of 3-6-1 overall and 0-3-2 in St. Louis. They've also failed to cash the Vegas ticket in six straight division road games.

St. Louis dropped to 5-6 SU and 4-7 ATS after being routed 45-17 at Green Bay Monday night. The Rams are on spread runs at home of 6-1 versus avenging teams and 12-6 against squads with losing records.

The favorite is 10-2-2 versus the number in the last 14 meetings in this longtime rivalry.

Totals Tip: Four of the last five meetings in St. Louis have gone over the posted total.

ATS ADVANTAGE: ST. LOUIS

CAROLINA at NEW ORLEANS
                    Carolina has won and covered three straight following its seven-point win over visiting Tampa Bay a week ago. The Panthers, 4-7 SU and 6-5 ATS, have won three consecutive straight-up over the Saints and have covered nine of their last dozen division games in the month of December.

This is the first meeting this year as the Panthers scored a 23-20 overtime win as three-point road dog in Week 8 last year.

New Orleans, 4-7 SU and ATS, stayed inside the 9½-point number in last week's three-point loss at Atlanta.

The road team has scored the spread win in nine straight division games involving the Saints, who have covered just once of six home games this season.

Totals Tip: Five of the last seven meetings in New Orleans have stayed under the posted price.

ATS ADVANTAGE: CAROLINA

KANSAS CITY at OAKLAND
                    Kansas City dropped to 3-8 SU/ATS in failing to win or cover for the fourth straight game with its 34-31 loss to visiting San Diego a week ago.

The Chiefs won both meetings straight-up in 2003, including a 17-10 triumph as a four-point road chalk in Week 7. Kansas City has now scored the spread win in five of its last seven trips to Oakland, but has covered just once in its last nine on the road overall. It's also 0-4 straight-up against teams with losing records this season.

KC quarterback Trent Green practiced Friday and is expected to start despite sore ribs and a bruised hip.

Oakland improved 4-7 SU and ATS with its 25-24 outright upset at Denver last Sunday night. The Raiders have failed to cover in five straight division home games and are on a spread slide of 8-23 at home against teams with losing records.

Totals Tip: The Chiefs have played over in seven of their last 10 division road games, while the Raiders have stayed under the posted number just once in their last five overall.

ATS ADVANTAGE: OVER

DENVER at SAN DIEGO
                    Denver's upset home loss to the Raiders last week dropped the Broncos to 7-4 SU and 4-5-2 ATS. They beat the visiting Chargers 23-13 as a 10-point home favorite in Week 3 and have now won 12 of the last 15 meetings straight-up in this rivalry. Denver has scored the spread win in four consecutive division road games and in 11 of its last 14 division highway contests when getting points. It's also on a spread run of 13-4 off a straight-up division loss.

The Sports Advisors

Jeff Benton entered the weekend on a 41-22-2 football run, college and pro combined. Last Sunday he won his first-ever "Let it Ride" Game of the Year release, his highest-rated play of the season, on San Diego as the Chargers won outright at Kansas City. Don't make a move today before consulting Jeff Benton at TheSportsAdvisors.com

San Diego, 8-3 SU and 9-1-1 ATS, won and covered for the fifth straight game with last week's three-point triumph at Kansas City, The Chargers, who have scored the spread win in eight straight, are one game up on the Bronco in the AFC West.

The home team has covered in five of the last six meetings and the Chargers are on a 3-1-1 spread run in division home games when seeking revenge.

Totals Tip: The Chargers have sailed over in nine straight following a division road game, while the Broncos have topped the price in 14 of their last 17 against an opponent playing with same-season revenge.

ATS ADVANTAGE: OVER

NEW YORK GIANTS at WASHINGTON
                    New York's three-touchdown loss to visiting Philadelphia last Sunday dropped it to 5-6 SU/ATS. The Giants, who have failed to win or cover in four straight, beat the visiting Redskins 20-14 as a three-point chalk in Week 2 as they forced seven Washington turnovers. They've now covered three of the last four in this series, as well as three of their last four visits to Washington.

Washington, 3-8 SU and 4-7 ATS, stayed inside the 10-point number in last week's 16-7 loss at Pittsburgh. The Redskins, who have not topped 18 points in any game this year, have scored the fewest points in the NFL this season. They've failed to cover in 10 consecutive division home games.

Totals Tip: Washington has stayed under in nine of 11 this season. The Giants, who've scored 30 total points in their last three games, have stayed under in eight of their last 10.

GREEN BAY at PHILADELPHIA
                    Green Bay, 7-4 SU and 5-5-1 ATS, won its sixth straight game on the scoreboard with a 45-17 triumph over visiting St. Louis last Monday night. The Packers lost 20-17 in overtime at Philadelphia as a four-point dog in last year's divisional playoffs.

Green Bay has covered 18 of its last 21 December games versus an opponent off a straight-up win. The Packers have also covered in 10 of their last 11 following a Monday night contest.

Philadelphia is 10-1 SU and 8-3 ATS following its 21-point win at the New York Giants last Sunday. The Eagles, who have won and covered three straight overall, won both meetings straight-up versus the Packers in 2003. They've now scored the spread win in 19 of their last 23 regular season outings. Philadelphia is also on a 12-2 spread run in non-division conference games.

Totals Tip: Green Bay has sailed over six of its last seven games, but the Eagles have stayed under in four of their last five overall.

PITTSBURGH at JACKSONVILLE
                    Pittsburgh, 10-1 SU and 7-3-1 ATS, did not cover the 10-point number in last week's 16-7 home win over the Redskins.

The Sports Advisors

Need to bailout? Analyst Scott Delaney is 8-2-1 with Sunday Night sides this season. Scott aims for winner # 9 at TheSportsAdvisors.com

The Steelers, who have won nine consecutive games straight-up, are on spread slides against their former division rival of 2-6 overall and 1-4 in Jacksonville. They're also only 3-11 versus the number in their last 14 as a non-division road chalk.

Jacksonville fell to 6-5 SU/ATS with last Sunday's 27-16 loss at Minnesota as a six-point dog. The Jaguars, who have failed to win or cover in three of their last four, have scored the spread victory in four of their last five as a home dog. In addition, they're 7-2 straight-up and 6-3 against the number in their last nine home games.

Totals Tip: Jacksonville has stayed under in four of five home games this year, while the Steelers have failed to top the posted price in four straight overall.

My record Click Here

Comment

Sagarin Ratings NFL

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl04.htm

My record Click Here

Comment

trends

• ARI is 6-1 ATS in the last seven meetings.
                        • Over is 6-2 in ARI last eight overall.
                        • Under is 3-0 in ARI last three games in Dec.
                        • Lions are 0-4 ATS in their last four home games.
                        • Under is 7-3 in DET last 10 at home.
                        • Over is 4-0 in the last four meetings.

• Over is 5-2 in the last seven meetings.
                        • Under is 15-5 in ATL last 20 overall.
                        • Under is 12-4 in ATL last 16 road games.
                        • Under is 16-6 in TB last 22 overall.
                        • TB is 3-0 ATS in their last three home games.
                        • TB ranks 5th in defense allowing 285.8 yds/gm.

• Over is 6-3 in the last nine meetings.
                        • Under is 15-3 in BUF last 18 road games.
                        • BUF is 6-2 ATS in their last eight overall.
                        • Over is 6-0 in MIA last six overall.
                        • MIA is 1-10 ATS in their last 11 home games.
                        • MIA is 6-3 ATS in the last nine meetings.

• CAR is 3-0 ATS in the last three meetings in NO.
                        • Over is 4-1 in CAR last five overall.
                        • CAR is 8-1 ATS in their last nine road games.
                        • Under is 5-1 in NO last six games in Dec.
                        • NO is 3-0 ATS in their last three games in Dec.
                        • Under is 7-3 in NO last 10 home games.

• Over is 4-1 in the last five meetings.
                        • CIN is 4-1-1 ATS in their last six overall.
                        • CIN is 2-6 ATS in their last eight road games.
                        • BAL is 8-2 ATS in their last 10 overall.
                        • Over is 8-3 in BAL last 11 home games.
                        • BAL is 8-2 ATS in the last 10 meetings.

• HOU is 6-3 ATS in their last nine overall.
                        • HOU is 4-8 ATS in their last 12 road games.
                        • Under is 7-2 in HOU last nine games in Dec.
                        • Under is 12-5-1 in NYJ last 18 home games.
                        • NYJ are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games in Dec.
                        • Under is 6-3 in NYJ last nine overall.

• Under is 6-2 in the last eight meetings.
                        • MIN is 6-2 ATS in their last eight overall.
                        • Over is 4-1 in MIN last five road games.
                        • Over is 4-1 in CHI last five overall.
                        • CHI is 1-5 ATS in their last six home games.
                        • CHI is 2-7 ATS in their last nine games in Dec.

• Pats are 3-1 ATS in the last four meetings.
                        • NE is 22-4-3 ATS in their last 29 overall.
                        • Under is 3-0 in NE last three overall.
                        • Browns are 0-4 ATS in their last four overall.
                        • Under is 5-2 in CLE last seven at home.
                        • CLE is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 as a dog.

My record Click Here

Comment

email freebies

Marc Lawrence | bio
                          PICK: Miami Dolphins (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

Bryan Leonard | bio - (CBB: won 3 of 4)
                          PICK: Packers/Eagles OVER (NFL)
                          Bodog Line

Mike Lee Sports | bio - (won 8 of 9)
                          PICK: Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL)
                          Bodog Line

K & B Sports | bio
                          PICK: Chicago Bears (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

Sports Unlimited | bio
                          PICK: Packers/Eagles UNDER (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

Ben Burns | bio - (won 3 of 4)
                          PICK: Vikings/Bears UNDER (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

Special K Sports | bio
                          PICK: Giants/Redskins UNDER (NFL)
                          Bodog Line

The Animal | bio - (won 878of 150: +19.8 net units)
                          PICK: Detroit Lions (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

Vegas Vic | bio
                          PICK: Baltimore Ravens (NFL) Analysis
                          Bodog Line

JB Sports | bio - (won 49 of 84: +17.1 net units)
                          PICK: San Diego Chargers (NFL)

My record Click Here

Comment

More Trends:

• 49ers are 2-7 ATS in their last nine overall.
                            • Over is 4-1 in SF last five overall.
                            • SF ranks 27th in offense with 17.5 pts/gm.
                            • Over is 8-2 in the Rams last ten overall.
                            • STL is 1-4-1 ATS in their last six home games.
                            • STL is 3-6 in their last nine games in Dec.

• TEN is 0-3 ATS in the last three meetings.
                            • TEN is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 overall.
                            • Over is 4-1 in TEN last five games in Dec.
                            • Over is 8-3 in the Colts last 11 overall.
                            • IND is 4-1 ATS in their last five home games.
                            • Under is 3-0 in the last three meetings in IND.

• DEN is 4-2 ATS in the last six meetings.
                            • Under is 6-2-2 in Broncos last 10 overall.
                            • Under is 9-1 in DEN last 10 road games.
                            • SD is 10-1-1 ATS in their last 12 overall.
                            • Over is 9-1 in SD last 10 home games.
                            • SD is 8-2 ATS in their last 10 games on grass.

• KC is 0-4 ATS in their last four overall.
                            • Over is 6-2 in KC last eight road games.
                            • Over is 11-3 in KC last 14 games in Dec.
                            • OAK is 7-20-1 ATS in their last 28 overall.
                            • Over is 4-1 in OAK last five overall.
                            • Under is 11-1 in OAK last 12 games in Dec.

• Under is 5-1 in the last five meetings.
                            • Over is 6-1 in the Packers last seven overall.
                            • GB is 18-7 ATS after playing MNF since 1992.
                            • Under is 8-2 in PHI last 10 overall.
                            • Eagles are 8-3 ATS so far this season.
                            • PHI is 8-0 this season vs. conference opponents.

• Under is 4-1 in the Giants last five road games.
                            • Giants are on a four game losing streak.
                            • Road team is 3-1 ATS in the last four meetings.
                            • Under is 9-2 in the Redskins 11 games this year.
                            • WAS is 1-4 ATS as a favorite this season.
                            • WAS is 0-3 ATS vs. div. opponents this year.

• PIT is 3-1-1 ATS in their last five road games.
                            • Under is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings.
                            • Steelers are 7-1-1 ATS in their last nine overall.
                            • Under is 7-3 in JAC last 10 overall.
                            • JAC is 3-0 ATS this year with the total 35 or less
                            • Under is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings.

• Over is 4-1 in DAL last five road games.
                            • Cowboys are 2-6 ATS in their last eight overall.
                            • DAL is 1-4 ATS this year playing a +.500 team.
                            • Over is 7-1 in SEA last eight overall.
                            • SEA is 1-4 ATS in their last five home games.
                            • SEA is 2-5 this year as a fav of 3.5-9.5 points.

My record Click Here

Comment

Working...
                            X