"Buick Open" Closes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Buick Open" Closes

What should have happened early this morning has finally come to pass. The "Buick Open" closed.....for the day.

PGA officials had an earful from pros who were forced to :

A. Get up at 4 AM for an 8 AM tee off. (1 hr breakfast, 1 hr. on driving range, 1 hr. on putting range, 1 hour rest).

B. Be sent to tee off on 8 separate occasions and called back to
    club house. Then back to driving range to warm up, etc., etc.

C. It made two of the most prominent pros on the PGA Tour, give it up. VJ Singh and Rocco Mediate put their respective feet down and said:"Enough, already. Either postpone the start until Friday or we are walking. The PGA, which is expected to fine 5 pros who refused to go through the warm - up, chill down, warm-up routine,
    has lost a lost of prestige with this fog - enveloped San Diego tournament.

The entire South Course, where the closing rounds will be played on Saturday and Sunday, played 3 and 1/2 strokes higher than the North Course in 2002. Today it played 5 strokes higher.

Those with an early tee time lucked out, teeing off before the fog moved in, then coming back to the club house. All the leaders were in that group and all were on the easy North Course. Among them Couples, our opponent.

I spoke with someone who I have known for years late today who played the South Course. "Man, I was ready to walk!

I couldn't even see where the green was there was so much fog!"

No it wasen't our selection, Calk. But I did check his driving and he was bombing them 300 yards to lead the field in driving distance. I had told you to watch for this stat.

You know me as one who never makes excuses. But to send a professional through this, is inexcusable. Do you think a pro basketball player would put up with this kind of treatment?

We got in a measly 6 holes out of 18. Couples played 13. Don't sweat the strokes.

Today is "Gone With The Wind" and tomorrow we rebuild Tara.

Bounty Hunter
    Division of Hunter News & Sports Group.
Working...
X