Handicapping Bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicapping Bases

1. Too Many Favorites: The novice bettor often looks at all the daily numbers and instinctively hones in on the favorites. They think: “The Dodgers are a minus-150 favorite at Milwaukee with Ishii going. LA is more likely to win, so I’ll back them.” Then they build reasons in their head why the favorite will probably win, rather than doing the research to support the play. In the end LA might be the side, but you have to find reasons – many, not just one – as to why that is the play.

One way to begin to break this habit is to review yesterday’s games. Notice how many dogs won – more than you probably thought yesterday morning! Remember that even the worst team in baseball that goes 64-98 still wins around 40% of the time. That means the worst team in baseball is going to win four out of every ten games, probably as a good sized dog, too. Naturally, you can get great prices on poor teams. If you bet two-dollar favorites on a regular basis, you need to win two of every three bets just to break even. Shooting for a 66-70 winning percentage is a tough way to try and turn a profit.

2. Betting Against Streaks: Some bettors think that it’s wise to bet against poor teams that are on a winning streak. There’s no better example as to why this way of thinking doesn’t work than to look at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Recently they had a stretch wining 12 straight games, many on the road. If you started betting against them after they had won six in a row simply because they were due to lose…well, you lost the next six.

3. Overvalue Starting Pitching: Betting lines in baseball are based roughly 90% on the starting pitchers. Remember that in this day and age, most starting pitchers only go 5-6 innings. That’s closer to one-half to two-thirds of the game, which leaves a huge chunk of the contest up to the relief staff. In short, starting pitching doesn’t determine 90% of the outcome of games, though the betting numbers suggest this. Starting pitching is one small piece of a big puzzle, and the smart bettor examines all the pieces.

4. Failure to Analyze Everything: When examining what might happen in a baseball game, some people look at one thing. Maybe they like the New York Yankees powerful offense against a weak opposing pitcher. Or, maybe Astros ace Roger Clemens is 14-4 lifetime against his opponent, so they make Houston a play.

This is too simple an approach. You just dig deeper. Maybe Clemens is 14-4 lifetime, which says something about his dominance over one team, but you must look further than that. How is Clemens doing over his last four starts? How is the Houston offense doing this week? Are they slumping? And if so, why? Are two key pieces of the offense limping? Examine the lineup that Clemens will be facing this game. Examine the park. Scrutinize the defensive abilities of both teams. You must analyze many factors and put them together to identify a sound play, not just one piece.
    Wash. D.C. 8 sq. miles surrounded by REALITY

Nice points! As this is my first season capping baseball I found myself playing way TOO MANY favs! Thanks and GL.

Comment

In my opinion, the most common mistake novices make with baseball wagering is placing too much emphasis on starting pitching. They see Houston with Clemens at -175 or higher and think, this will be easy money, Roger will shut the opposing bats down. Well, he might. But what if his team musters no offense and the Astros lose 1-0? Or what if the bullpen blows a late lead? A good illustration of this point was last year's Dodgers, who had perhaps the best starting rotation in baseball--and therefore were routinely favorites of -150 or greater--but whose offense averaged little over 2 runs a game and was held scoreless more than any other team in baseball.

When handicapping baseball, you can't focus on the starting pitching. It is important, but equally important are offense and bullpen quality. To a lesser extent, you should consider defensive ability (errors tend to lead to unearned runs), motivation (how important is the game? Is a team on a streak? Have they been playing well, or poorly? Are there any unique circumstances that might give a team a motivational edge?), and other intangibles (home-field advantage, umpiring tendencies, etc).

Just thought I'd toss this in. You raise many excellent points!
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -Joe Theismann

Comment

GR8LIFE

Your right on the money with alot of your logic here! The best time to bet on a pitcher who has dominated a certain team, is when the pitcher's team is on a little bit of a losing streak themselves. If you pay attention to this, you will see its a winning proposition. Baseball is definitely a game of streaks also, know when to ride a team and know when to get off of a certain team. It's all about timing. If a game looks to easy, it usually is! For instance, the 4 game series between the Pirates and the Expos! Everybody and his brother was on the Pirates, and bam the Expos won 3 out of 4 games from the Bucs. Teams change players year in an year out! You got East coast-West coast trends that seem to work out pretty decent! You got lefty vs lefty trends that seem to win on the under more than the over. You gotta look at the DH in the American League, more runs being scored in the American League vs the National League. Certain pitchers in the National League are an asset in their lineup and give their team another decent stick. Like you said, you have to look at alot of different angles in each game. The best thing for each and every handicapper to do is, draw up a format on how to handicapp a game and see how your format holds out over a period of time. You can always add and change your format, its whatever works best for you!

Example that I like to use to handicapp a game!

1. Is one team traveling from the East to West coast or vice versa? yes/no If the answer is yes, track and see how that team has done over the past 2 to 3 years in the traveling situation. Remember our body is a biological factor to take into consideration when traveling in different time zones.

2. Is this game a lefty to lefty matchup?

3. How does the starting pitcher do against left handers, and how does he do when he starts against right handers.

4. How have the teams been doing in the first game of a series, how have they been doing in the first game of a series against their opponents.

5. If the teams have met previously in the season, who won the first meeting and track the past couple of years to see if the series seems to flip flop after one team won the first series. Even check out to see if a three game series goes with all unders the first time around, does it go all overs the next 3 games. Sometimes going the opposite the next series, you can hit 2 out of 3 plays alot of times just going the opposite way. In the long run it just seems like all trends will eventually more or less even out over a period of time.

6. How does the starting pitcher do at home, away, during the day, and during night time games. How does each team bat at home, away, during the day, and during night time games. Good example of that this year, is the Cardinals have a good batting average on the road at night time.

7. What is the current team's roster players batting average against the opposing teams pitcher. See how many at bats they average to get an extra base hit! Example a team is 20 for 100 against a pitcher for a .200 batting, but of the 20 hits, 18 are extra base hits, that means the team is averaging one extra base hit every 5.5 at bats. That is a very good stat and might even outweigh that the opposing team has a higher batting average against their pitcher that game. Slugging % is a very important thing to take into consideration. When taking that into consideration, you must also remember to check and see if the wind is blowing in or out at the ball park.

8. Keep an eye on each team's bullpen, to see what their current form is like. Are they blowing alot of save opportunites (Exampe: Gagne at home for the Dodgers, almost a guarantee) ! Do they have good strikeout to walk ratios. Is their bullpen healthy and how hard was the bullpen used the previous series. This is something your going to have to learn how to use, cause like you said in your thread, starting pitching is only a part of the game.

9. I like to use head to head between the starting pitchers, to check an see if one pitcher has dominated another pitcher over the years with different teams involved. Meaning did this one pitcher beat the other pitcher 8 times in a row over the course of 5 seasons and both pitchers played on 3 different teams over the course of those 5 years. Use you own judgement on this, but sort of try and understand what I'm saying here!

Thats pretty much what I use to cap games, and to be honest with you, this year I did get on one hell of a roll, but over the last week I lost units. So just try and see what works best for you!

Sorry GR8LIFE, I got a little carried away! You started a great thread on a topic for some interesting point of views

Krunch
        :D

Comment

watch the cannot miss games as well. Go to a sight and see if the entire world is on it, in most cases it is trouble. Perfect example is Pitts/Cards this Sunday. Old saying is true, if it sounds too good then it is!
          Joe Thorton for MVP

Comment

Saw this article last week on other sites, I believe it was written by handicapper Bryan Leonard. Good points all!!

Comment

ThomasC, Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thanks Wayne!!

Comment

Great points and a good read. I hate playing favorites and will rarely play anything above -125. If I am set on a couple of big favs that I am confident will win I will parlay them to try to get near even money. Dogs are where it's at in MLB betting, nothing like going 2-2 or 2-3 and still being up units at the end of the night. I lurk hear daily, but don't post my plays. I post at another site I won't mention and am 62-60 so far this year, you would think with that win to loss ratio I would be down, but because I play so many dogs I am up 8.86 units at the break.

I look at starting pitching, bull pens, team batting averages, how teams fair in whatever game they are in, game 1, 2, etc....pitchers past performances against the teams and how the team is doing the past 3 to 10 games among other things. I think it is a lot easier to bet teams at + money and come away with a profit at the end of the year than it is to bet these big favs.

One other thing that some might not agree with, but I believe in is flat betting. I bet every game with the same unit value whether it is a dog bet or a fav bet. A 1 unit bet on a fav of -120 is the same amount as I will lay on a dog. I might not get the +100 return, but I am not losing more money just because the team is a fav.

GL to all 2nd half.

Comment

Working...
                  X