• XFL Week 3 Stuff

XFL Betting Stats following Week 2:

Favorites: 5-3 SU & 4-4 ATS
    Home Teams: 6-2 SU & 5-3 ATS
    Home Favorites: 4-1 SU & 3-2 ATS

Over/Under: 2-6

XFL Week 3

Houston (-5.5, 47) @ Tampa Bay:

— Houston won its first two home games, scoring 65 points.
    — Both Houston games went over the total.
    — Roughnecks were outgained 390-238 in their win over St Louis LW.

— Tampa Bay lost its first two road games, outscored 40-12.
    — Only TD has scored was scored by their defense.
    — Both Viper games stayed under the total.
    — Tampa Bay outgained first two opponents by 168-90 yards, still lost.

Dallas (-4.5, 44.5) @ Seattle:
    — Dallas split tis first two games, with road underdog winning both SU.
    — Dallas gained 444 yards LW, in Landry Jones’ first game as QB.
    — Both Dallas games stayed under the total.

— Seattle split its first two games; home side won both games.
    — Seattle completed less than half their passes (28-59) so far.
    — Both Seattle games stayed under; team that was trailing at halftime with both games.

New York @ St Louis (-7.5, 42):
    — New York split its first two games, converting 2-21 on third down.
    — New York gained 137 yards LW, had only five FD’s, benched the QB after he whined to a TV person at halftime.
    — Both New York games stayed under; they turned ball over five times (-3).

— St Louis split its first two road games, covering both as an underdog.
    — St Louis converted 17-31 on 3rd down, ran 71-83 plays, compared to 59-49 for their opponents.
    — St Louis has 317 yards rushing, 447 yards passing. Good balance.

Washington DC (-7, 45.5) @ Los Angeles:
    — DC won its first two home games by combined score of 58-19.
    — Both DC games stayed under the total.
    — DC is only 1-7 on post-TD conversions.

— Los Angeles lost its first two games (0-2 ATS as an underdog).
    — Over is 1-1 in LA’s games.
    — Los Angeles allowed 37-25 points, already fired its defensive coordinator.

XFL observations:
    — Home teams won six of the first eight games.
    — Home favorites are 3-2 ATS, home underdogs 1-2
    — Six of eight games stayed under the total.

11) Much like the AAF last year, quarterback play in this spring league is sub-par; thinking back to the USFL in the 80’s, they had Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Doug Williams, Steve Young, Bobby Hebert, Brian Sipe, John Reaves— NFL quarterbacks, which is part of what made it so good.

The XFL has been fun to watch so far, but it ain’t the NFL, which is fine.

10) Most interesting part of the XFL so far is the extra point; you cannot kick a PAT, you have three options:
    — A one-point conversion from 2-yard line (6-22)
    — A two-point conversion from 5-yard line (3-14)
    — A three-point conversions from 10-years line (1-2)

So a 9-point game is still a one-possession game; there is no set-in-stone strategy on what is the smart thing to do. Coaches are learning on the fly, which is interesting to observe.

9) XFL teams are running an average of 61.4 plays per game; New York ran only 45-47 plays in their first two games, St Louis ran 71-83 plays in its two games.

Comment

XFL Week 3 Best Bets
      Brian Bitler

Two weeks of the XFL season are in the books and I really enjoyed the action again although although I came out of it with a 2-2 record. Through two weeks, I sit at 4-4 with my "Best Bets" and after watching eight games, I believe I have a very good grasp going into these Week 3 matchups.

XFL Betting Results

Week 2

Home/Away: 3-1 SU, 2-2 ATS
      Favorites/Underdogs: 3-1 SU, 2-2 ATS
      Over/Under: 1-3

Overall
      Home/Away: 2-2 SU, 3-1 ATS
      Favorites/Underdogs: 3-1 SU, 2-2 ATS
      Over/Under: 2-6

XFL STANDINGS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Team SU ATS Over/Under PF PA Home Away
      DC Defenders 2-0 2-0 0-2 58 19 1-0 1-0
      St. Louis BattleHawks 1-1 2-0 1-1 39 37 0-0 1-1
      New York Guardians 1-1 1-1 0-2 23 30 1-0 0-1
      Tampa Bay Vipers 0-2 0-2 0-2 12 40 0-0 0-2

WESTERN CONFERENCE
      Team SU ATS Over/Under PF PA Home Away
      Houston Roughnecks 2-0 1-1 2-0 65 41 2-0 0-0
      Dallas Renegades 1-1 1-1 0-2 34 33 0-1 1-0
      Seattle Dragons 1-1 1-1 0-2 36 40 1-0 0-1
      Los Angeles Wildcats 0-2 0-2 1-1 35 62 0-1 0-1

XFL Week 3 Opening Betting Lines
      Houston (-5.5, Total 47) at Tampa Bay
      Dallas (-4.5, Total 44.5) at Seattle
      New York at St. Louis (-7.5, Total 42)
      DC (-7, Total 45.5) at Los Angeles

Future Odds to win 2020 XFL Championship

New future odds for the XFL were posted and you can see by viewing the below numbers that the projections have changed quickly over two weeks. The Houston Roughnecks come ranked first and they sit at 2-0 and after two dominating performances and the offense has scored 65 points through two games. They're currently 2/1 (Bet $100 to win $200) co-favorites to win the XFL title. Along with the Roughnecks, the DC Defenders are also 2-0 and they sit at 2/1 odds as well. Quarterback Cardale Jones has been arguably the best player in the XFL this season and he's looked electric in the two victories.

When it comes to disappoinemnt, Tampa Bay leads the charge. The Vipers opened up the season as one of the favorites (5/1) to win it all and were road favorites in both games this season. Tampa has had the worst offense through two games this season scoring just 12 points in two games. Right behind the Vipers is Los Angeles, who sits as the longest of long shots at 25/1.

Current (Opening)
      D.C. Defenders 2/1 (6/1)
      Houston Roughnecks 2/1 (5/1)
      Dallas Renegades 4/1 (5/2)
      St. Louis Battlehawks 10/1 (10/1)
      New York Guardians 14/1 (5/1)
      Tampa Bay Vipers 14/1 (5/1)
      Seattle Dragons 18/1 (16/1)
      Los Angeles Wildcats 25/1 (8/1)

Games for Saturday, Feb. 22

Houston (2-0 SU, at Tampa Bay (0-2 SU, 0-2 ATS)
      (ABC, 2:00 p.m. ET)

The top meets the bottom in Saturday's first game as Houston heads to Tampa Bay as a road favorite. The Vipers were slotted as one of the top teams in the XFL and favored in both of theie first two games. Now, they're close to to a touchdown underdog at home. The betting public is leaning heavy to Houston and I sense a letdown here since this is the second of back-to-back road spots for them and also the home opener for Tampa Bay. I'm going to buy the bounce back from Tampa and take the points wiht the home squad.

Best Bet
      - Tampa Bay +6.5

Dallas (1-1 SU, 1-1 ATS) at Seattle (1-1 SU, 1-1 ATS) (FOX, 5:00 p.m. ET)

I believe the second matchup on Saturday has plenty of value for bettors. Seattle cashed for us last week at home and you could hear a definite homefield advantage for the Dragons, similar to the Seahawks of the NFL. I believe the XFL needs this market to be successful since it has a nice televisiuon draw and also a good attendance turnout. Dallas will be facing its second straight road trip after winning at Los Angeles in Week 2. Renegades QB Landry Jones didn't impress me in his debut and I see this game coming down to a field goal in a super low-scoring affair. We will gladly take the points here and ride with the Dragons of Seattle as home 'dogs on Saturday.

Best Bet - Seattle +5

Games for Sunday, Feb. 23

New York at St. Louis
      (ESPN, 3:00 p.m. ET)

St. Louis has started the season as an underdog in each of its first two games and it owns a 1-1 record. The Battlehawks won their first game at Dallas (15-9) but were humbled 28-24 at Houston in Week 2. They did manage to cover against the Renegades with a late touchdown, improving to 2-0 for bettors. QB Jordan Ta’Amu ranks second in the XFL in passing yards (493) and touchdowns (4). New York looked absolutely horrid in its 27-0 loss at DC in Week 2 but this team has talent and this line is just way to high no matter who is at quarterback for New York. I think we see a competitive game with St.Louis winning but New York keeping it close and giving us a needed cover.

Best Bet - New York +9.5

D.C. at Los Angeles
      (FS1, 6:00 p.m. ET)

From what I can see, the last game of the XFL weekend will be an absolute annihilation. The LA Wildcats have been lost on offense and their defense is a complete mess. QB Cardale Jones has looked like an MVP, tossing for 511 yards in his first two starts. I expect him to have a huge day against this LA defense, plus I believe the DC defense will have a field day against the quarterbacks of Los Angeles. DC head coach Winston Moss has the team fired up and the confidence for the club is growing. Normally I do not like laying points on the road but here I will make the exception as we back the DC Defenders -8 here on the road.

Best Bet
      - DC -8

Comment

Working...
      X