• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da bum's top 25 matchups for week # 12

No. 1 LSU refocuses on trip to Ole Miss
    November 13, 2019
    By STATS LLC Editorial

No. 1 Louisiana State took control of the SEC West race when it defeated No. 2 Alabama 46-41 last week.

By emphatically ending an eight-game losing streak to the Crimson Tide, the Tigers moved past Ohio State and into the top spot in the College Football Playoff rankings. They are so lofty right now that they might be able to suffer a loss and still make the CFP semifinals.

But LSU (9-0, 5-0) isn't going to take a victory lap just yet. The next step is a road game against Ole Miss (4-6, 2-4) on Saturday night in Oxford.

"We're going to treat this week just like any other week," Tigers coach Ed Orgeron said. "I think that we have a mature enough team not to look down the road because if we don't beat Ole Miss it won't happen."

Orgeron understood the LSU-Ole Miss rivalry from both sides, even before he became the Tigers head coach in 2016. He grew up in Louisiana as an LSU fan and was the Rebels head coach from 2005-07.

He won just three SEC games in three seasons with the Rebels before being fired.

"Ole Miss was a great opportunity for me," Orgeron said. "It was my first job. It was in the SEC. I learned a lot of things. I learned how to do things; I learned how not to do things. So I'm very appreciative of that job. I don't like the results, but you know what, it prepared me for down the road."

Now LSU has games against the Rebels, Arkansas and Texas A&M before a likely SEC Championship Game against Georgia -- and perhaps more.

"The message last week was, 'It's still all about LSU,' and that's how it is every week," Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow said. "We didn't go into last game thinking, 'This is our Super Bowl.' It was just another game where if we played as well as we could play then we'll win the game. We feel like that's the case every week."

Ole Miss would need to pull off the biggest upset of the season this Saturday and defeat Mississippi State on Thanksgiving night just to get bowl eligible.

"That was the goal coming into the season, to try and get this program back to the postseason," Rebels coach Matt Luke said.

"We have two games left and that's what we want to do, we want to win both of them. If it comes down to it at the end, we'll focus on it then. But right now, we have to focus on LSU and find a way to win this football game."

The Rebels' primary challenge will be to do something no LSU opponent, including Alabama, has been able to do -- slow down Burrow, the Heisman Trophy favorite.

The senior is completing an astonishing 78.9 percent of his passes for 3,198 yards, 33 touchdowns and four interceptions.

"We've got nine games worth of tape to watch to try and find out ways to slow him down," Luke said.

"We've got to get some pressure on him to get him out of his comfort zone a little bit. When the plays are there, we have to make them. When we have an opportunity for an interception, we'll have to take it."

LSU's Justin Jefferson leads a standout group of receivers, with 62 catches for 898 yards and nine touchdowns. Ja'Marr Chase has hauled in 10 scoring receptions.

Ole Miss freshman quarterback John Rhys Plumlee is coming off a 177-yard rushing performance in a 41-3 win over New Mexico State. He has 777 rushing yards in seven games this season in coordinator Rich Rodriguez's zone-read offense.

"I have been blessed with speed and pretty good vision as well," he said. "So, when you break that initial line you only got two or three guys to make miss."
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

No. 2 Ohio State huge favorite against Rutgers
    November 13, 2019
    By STATS LLC Editorial

Ohio State might not have star defensive end Chase Young back as the NCAA investigates a possible violation for accepting a loan, but it likely won't make a difference when the No. 2 Buckeyes play at Rutgers on Saturday in Piscataway, N.J.

The Scarlet Knights (2-7, 0-6 Big Ten) are about 53-point underdogs after the Buckeyes (9-0, 6-0) ripped Maryland 73-14 last Saturday.

By comparison, visiting Maryland defeated Rutgers 48-7 on Oct. 5 in the Scarlet Knights' first game under interim coach Nunzio Campanile after Chris Ash -- a former Ohio State defensive coach -- was fired.

The Buckeyes didn't miss Young, who leads the nation with 13 1/2 sacks despite being suspended for the Maryland game. OSU recorded seven sacks and limited the Terrapins to 139 yards.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day said Tuesday that Chase is practicing with the intent of playing Saturday, but he has no knowledge of when a ruling may come.

Rutgers did not play last weekend, but even with added practice time they will be hard pressed to stop the Buckeyes, considering no team has done so this season.

Ohio State is fifth nationally in total offense (535.9 yards per game game) after compiling 705 vs. Maryland and is No. 1 in total defense (214.8) and scoring defense (8.6 points per game).

The Buckeyes have scored the most touchdowns (62) and given up the fewest (eight).

Quarterback Justin Fields remains in the Heisman Trophy discussion behind LSU quarterback Joe Burrow. Fields is completing 68.2 percent of his passes, with 27 touchdowns and just one interception. He has rushed for 10 scores. Junior running back J.K. Dobbins (1,200 yards) has 11 rushing touchdowns in his third 1,000-yards season.

Rutgers' best chance is to hope the Buckeyes are looking ahead to playing Penn State at home on Oct. 23 and ending the regular season the following Saturday at Michigan.

Day said the Buckeyes will take Rutgers seriously.

"We certainly have respect for everybody we play," Day said. "I've known Nunzio a long time. He's going to do a great job.

"(Rutgers) has had a week off, and those guys are going to come out play really, really hard. If we're going to take anything for granted, if they (think) we're just going to show up in Piscataway and win a game, that's not going to happen."

The Scarlet Knights are on their third quarterback. McLane Carter retired after sustaining a concussion in the second game. Artur Sitkowski decided to redshirt after playing in three games.

Redshirt freshman Johnny Langan has the unenviable task of facing a defense that limited Maryland to 77 yards passing. Langan in his most recent game, a 38-10 loss to Illinois, was 5 for 10 for 86 yards and was sacked three times.

Campanile and his players have more than just the Buckeyes on their mind. Rumors swirl that former Scarlet Knights head coach and ex-OSU assistant Greg Schiano will return to Rutgers.

"Really the biggest thing is making sure that it doesn't affect the players," Campanile said. "I think they've done a really good job of it. I'm sure they read all the stuff and hear all the stuff, but we're just trying to talk about going out and getting better every day and kind of staying on the path for growth."

Comment

No. 10 Oklahoma, No. 13 Baylor in Big 12 showdown
      November 13, 2019
      By STATS LLC Editorial

The Oklahoma-Baylor game turned into a budding rivalry earlier this decade when coach Art Briles had the Bears soaring in Waco, Texas.

The teams met as ranked foes in four consecutive seasons -- and five out of six years -- but Briles was ousted amid scandal, and Matt Rhule took over the helm in 2017 and had to rebuild.

On Saturday, high stakes return to the game.

The No. 13 Bears host the No. 10 Sooners with Big 12 and College Football Playoff implications on the line, and with ESPN's "College GameDay" show in town.

The Bears (9-0, 6-0 Big 12) have earned the spotlight by being one of the five remaining undefeated teams in the country, although they haven't been consistently dominant.

While Baylor beat Kansas State by 19 and Oklahoma State by 18 in October, the rest of the Bears' games since Big 12 play began have been tight. Baylor won its other four conference games by an average of 3.5 points, with two of those victories (Texas Tech, TCU) coming in multiple overtimes.

"They've really done a great job finishing games, overcoming some odds at times, and to have really good seasons, you have to do that, so give them a lot of credit," Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said. "They've played well and beat some really good people, and it will be a great challenge."

The Sooners are hoping to get back atop the Big 12 and back into the thick of the CFP discussion.

To do that, they'll need to perform better than they did the last time Oklahoma visited a hostile environment.

Three weeks ago, the then-undefeated Sooners went to Kansas State, had a hot start, fell flat and ultimately mounted a comeback that came up just short in a 48-41 loss.

"We just have to keep our composure and just play the way we know how to play," Sooners safety Delarrin Turner-Yell said.

Oklahoma struggled with its composure against the Wildcats, most notably as cornerback Parnell Motley was ejected early in the game for kicking at an opponent.

Even through their recent struggles -- the loss to Kansas State and last week's 42-41 squeaker over Iowa State -- Oklahoma's offense has continued to put up big numbers. Jalen Hurts leads the nation in passing efficiency with a rating of 219.7, which is better than the mark of Oklahoma's Heisman-winning Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield in the past two seasons.

That's only part of Hurts' success story. Much of what makes the Sooners so dangerous offensively comes from Hurts' running ability. He has 869 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns.

"There's times where it's like defending the single wing. They're running quarterback counter with lead tailbacks blocking for them, so they present a lot of challenges," Rhule said. "A lot of that's credit to him; he's a great runner, has great vision, he's accurate, he can do it in a multitude of different ways."

The tight games have given the Bears comfort in late-game situations, and Rhule hopes that can be the case against the Sooners. Baylor leads the Big 12 in scoring defense (19.0 points allowed per game) and has yielded only 41 first-half points all season.

"Part of it is weathering the storm, just our defense. Don't get down 21-0," Rhule said. "Knowing that we are more of a fourth-quarter team, you have to try to push this game to the fourth quarter."

Comment

No. 15 Michigan rolls into rivalry vs. Michigan State
        November 12, 2019
        By STATS LLC Editorial

For a change, Jim Harbaugh isn't the coach feeling the most heat heading into one of Michigan's rivalry games.

Harbaugh hasn't recorded a win over Ohio State since taking over the Wolverines program in 2015. He's 2-2 against in-state rival Michigan State, but the Wolverines lost both meetings in Ann Arbor. Michigan hasn't defeated the Spartans at the Big House since 2012, but it will try again Saturday.

No. 15 Michigan (7-2, 4-2 Big Ten) defeated its past two opponents, Notre Dame and Maryland, by a combined score of 83-21 before getting a bye week.

Michigan State (4-5, 2-4) carries a four-game losing streak into the annual matchup.

Coach Mark Dantonio has been criticized for being too loyal to his assistants and not adapting his offensive scheme to keep up with his peers. Several players also transferred during the season, cutting into the team's depth.

The Spartans' offensive woes were apparent in the first three games of the slide, as they managed just 17 total points. This past Saturday, their offense racked up 526 yards but they blew a 25-point lead at home and fell 37-34 to Illinois.

"It's one that I'll carry with me for probably the rest of my life, but that's coaching," Dantonio said of the collapse.

With Dantonio under fire, Harbaugh expects the Spartans to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at his team.

"On high alert for everything," Harbaugh said. "Specifically, we understand that Coach Dantonio is a master motivator. There could be trick plays. Special teams, the punt fakes, field goal fakes. Everything needs to be alerted and prepared and readied for."

Defenses have ruled the past two meetings.

Michigan State pulled out a 14-10 win on a rainy night in Ann Arbor two years ago. Last season, the Wolverines left East Lansing with a 21-7 victory. Michigan hasn't recorded back-to-back victories over the Spartans since winning six straight from 2002-07.

"It's one of my favorite games to play in every year," Wolverines offensive lineman Ben Bredeson said.

"I love the rivalry games, the big games. That's what you play college football for. We've had some good games here in the last three years, some memorable ones for sure, and I'm looking forward to another one this Saturday. Owning the state of Michigan is always a big thing for the two programs."

Dantonio expects emotions to run high on both sides.

"If you don't like confrontation, this probably isn't a good game to go to, because it's just the way it is," he said.

"It's just natural. You've got guys that have played against each other in high school. You've got guys that have played already in this football game. So it's a competitive environment, and the biggest thing that we need to do is have total focus on what we need to do at the right time and not make mistakes and just play hard. Play harder than hard."

Both teams have dynamic freshman running backs.

The Spartans will try to grind out a win behind running back Elijah Collins, who rushed for 170 yards and two touchdowns against the Illini. He has 715 rushing yards this season. Michigan's Zach Charbonnet has scored 11 touchdowns, including two in each of the team's past three games.

Spartans quarterback Brian Lewerke has thrown 12 touchdown passes this season but only two during the losing streak while getting picked off six times. Michigan's Shea Patterson has tossed 12 touchdown passes this season, compared to four interceptions.

Comment

Mississippi St. expects to see 'Bama's best
          November 12, 2019
          By STATS LLC Editorial

Alabama coach Nick Saban clearly was in no mood to rehash his team's 46-41 loss to Louisiana State when he met with media to discuss the Crimson Tide's upcoming outing against Mississippi State on Saturday in Starkville, saying the focus is on "how we complete the season."

Despite the loss, the Tide (8-1, 5-1 Southeastern Conference) clearly remain in contention for their sixth consecutive berth in the College Football Playoff.

"We have kind of a legacy around here that we've had only one team in the last 12 years that's lost more than one game in a regular season," Saban said, referring to the 2010 Tide team that finished the regular season 9-3. "I'd like for this team to continue that."

The Tide haven't lost back-to-back games in the regular season since dropping four in a row in 2007, Saban's first year in Tuscaloosa. That also marks their last loss to Mississippi State. They lost their regular-season finale to Auburn in 2008 and then the Sugar Bowl to Utah, but haven't lost consecutive outings since.

The Bulldogs (4-5, 2-4 SEC) are coming off an open date after ending a four-game losing streak with a 54-24 rout of Arkansas in their last outing. Coach Joe Moorhead expects to get the Tide's best shot.

"In my mind we are not anticipating any lingering effect or hangover or anything where they have their chins on their chest," Moorhead said. "I would imagine that I know what Coach Saban is going to stress to the team and the type of players they have. We are expecting their best and they are going to get our best as well."

The Bulldogs are one of the top rushing teams in the conference (No. 3 at 217.0 ypg) and have the league's top rusher in running back Kylin Hill (1,027). They have been playing two quarterbacks, and freshman Garrett Shrader and senior Tommy Stevens are separated by an "or" at No. 1 on the depth chart for this game.

"The good news is that Garrett is back to being completely healthy," Moorhead said. "We went through practice yesterday and both the guys got reps. Tommy got most of the reps with the 1s and Garrett with the 2s. We are going to continue to progress it through and see how Garrett is coming along."

Shrader is considered more of a runner (504 rushing yards) and Stevens a passer (687 passing yards in six games), though Saban doesn't see it that way.

"I don't really think that I see a lot of difference in what they do whichever quarterback plays," Saban said. "They kind of run their offense. They run a lot of quarterback runs with both guys, and they run the same kind of passing game with both guys."

Saban said his quarterback, junior Tua Tagovailoa, came out of the loss to LSU a little sore after going the distance with his sprained ankle, but no further issues developed. Tagovailoa had ankle surgery the day after the Tide's win over Tennessee.

"We'll have to manage it day to day," Saban said.

Comment

Notre Dame wary of Navy at home
            November 12, 2019
            By STATS LLC Editorial

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly has spent much of this week studying film of No. 23 Navy and he is impressed.

"Really good football team," Kelly said. "Deserving of being nationally ranked."

The same could be said for No. 16 Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish (7-2) will host Navy (7-1) on Saturday afternoon in the 93rd meeting between the programs -- and the first time since 1978 that both teams have been ranked. In that meeting 41 years ago, No. 15 Notre Dame and a promising quarterback named Joe Montana pulled away for a 27-7 win over No. 11 Navy.

No one is comparing Fighting Irish quarterback Ian Book with Montana, now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but the senior from California has showed plenty of poise this season. Book has passed for 2,009 yards, 21 touchdowns and six interceptions, and he has rushed for 390 yards and four touchdowns.

In his most recent performance, Book passed for 181 yards and four touchdowns, and he had 139 rushing yards on 12 carries. Chris Finke caught two touchdowns and Chase Claypool and George Takacs hauled in one apiece as Notre Dame cruised to a 38-7 win over Duke for its second straight victory.

Navy also enters the weekend feeling confident. The Midshipmen have won five games in a row, including a 56-10 victory over Connecticut last Friday.

The lopsided score allowed Navy to rack up 51 rushes compared with six pass attempts in the game. The Midshipmen typically lean on their triple-option rushing attack, which can perplex opposing defenses.

A reporter informed Kelly this week that two high schools near South Bend also featured the triple option.

"I would rather play them," Kelly deadpanned.

What made the offense so effective?

"Well, I mean, they've seen everything," Kelly said. "First of all, their in-game adjustments, the ability, and certainly the coaching. They can make adjustments to what you're trying to do in a split second.

"You've got the best and brightest that are playing at the academy that can make some quick adjustments in game, at halftime, so they're not going to be fooled by what they see."

The Midshipmen are led by quarterback Malcolm Perry, who has 1,042 rushing yards on 157 carries for a 6.6-yard average. He also has scored 16 rushing touchdowns. Perry has completed 29 of 53 passes for 722 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions.

Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo said he and his players are pleased but not fully satisfied with their season.

"From where we were last year (finishing 3-10), to be 7-1 at this point, I'm encouraged," Niumatalolo said in comments published by the Baltimore Sun. "It's a testament to our senior leadership. They did a great job during the offseason of building the culture of our program.

"Our mantra has been 1-0. Just think about winning the next game. It's great to be 7-1, but we don't want to stop here. We want to keep pressing forward."

Comment

No. 17 Cincinnati wary of struggling South Florida
              November 13, 2019
              By STATS LLC Editorial

No. 17 Cincinnati will be going for an eighth consecutive victory when it plays at South Florida on Saturday.

While the Bulls are struggling -- they have lost two of their last three games and need two wins just to get to bowl eligibility -- Bearcats coach Luke Fickell remembers all too well the last time the teams met on the Bulls' home field in Tampa.

That was in 2017 in Fickell's first season, and the Bulls won handily 33-3.

That USF team was undefeated at the time of that meeting, however, while the current crew is coming off a 17-7 loss to Temple that dropped the Bulls (4-5, 2-3 American Athletic Conference) under .500 again.

One of their wins was over an FBS opponent (South Carolina State) and another came against struggling UConn, which was just waxed 48-3 by Fickell's Bearcats last week and is winless in AAC play.

Nevertheless, Fickell is taking nothing for granted.

"I really believe this is a talented football team," he said of USF. "I know their record might not indicate it, but they sometimes play to the level of their opponent as well.

"But at home, at night, we were there two years ago and it wasn't close. I don't think they've dropped off. Obviously, we've gotten better, but they haven't dropped off talent-wise. They're a challenge for us."

The Bearcats (8-1, 5-0) have much more than the memory of their last visit to Raymond James Stadium as incentive. They can clinch at least a tie for the AAC East title and could sew up a spot in the league championship game if Temple loses to Tulane earlier in the day.

And they also lead the race for a New Year's Six bowl game as the highest-ranked team among the Group of Five conferences. Cincinnati finishes the season with challenging games vs. Temple and at Memphis.

USF is pushing for bowl eligibility while having to navigate Cincinnati and Memphis at home before finishing at UCF.

Coach Charlie Strong sees that as motivation for his players.

"They see that in front of them and they'll come back to work," Strong said. "You've got enough seniors who have enough leadership about them and will get them going."

Strong hopes to have reinforcements with the return of a couple of injured players -- tight end Jacob Mathias (virus) and defensive tackle Kevin Kegler (unspecified). But starting left tackle Donovan Jennings' status was undetermined early in the week. He injured an ankle in the loss to Temple.

"He's one of those guys who is very tough," Strong said. "If he can go, he'll go out there and do what he needs to do."

Jennings' return could be vital. The Owls sacked USF quarterback Jordan McCloud nine times last week. Backup quarterback Jah'Quez Evans, a freshman who rushed for 99 yards in one half against East Carolina on Oct. 26 but sat out last week's game, also is iffy with an undisclosed injury.

"We're going to test him this week, just to see where we are with his injury to see if he'll be back," Strong said.

Comment

No. 19 Texas figures to have hands full at Iowa State
                November 13, 2019
                By STATS LLC Editorial

Expect a little bit of anything and everything on Saturday afternoon when enigmatic No. 19 Texas squares off against talented and hungry Iowa State in a key Big 12 Conference contest in Ames, Iowa.

A win for the Longhorns (6-3, 4-2 Big 12) would keep them in line for a spot in the Big 12 championship game. Texas trails undefeated Baylor and once-beaten Oklahoma in the league standings, with the Bears and Sooners set to play Saturday.

If the Cyclones (5-4, 3-3) can beat Texas, they will become bowl eligible for the third season in a row for just the second time in school history and help exorcise some of the demons they have endured during a crazy first three-fourths of the regular season.

Texas's defense has been its Achilles' heel, but was better -- like night and day better -- when it allowed Kansas State just 304 yards in the Longhorns' 27-24 win last Saturday.

Several Texas players were quick to point out that the effort was what the Longhorns are capable of when they are healthy and have nearly all their most important defensive players on the field, including safeties Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster.

"This is what happens when we're fully healthy," Texas nose tackle Keondre Coburn said. "This is a great team, unbelievable team. We never pointed at each other; we never gave up. We just kept doing the game plan that we were given, and we just executed better."

The Longhorns got more good news on the defensive injury front Monday, when coach Tom Herman announced that safety Chris Brown, who broke his right arm against Oklahoma on Oct. 9, has been cleared to play this week.

"(Brown's broken arm) healed faster than he anticipated and the doctor cleared him on Friday to play with a cast on," Herman said Monday. "To know that we're going to have him here this week is a big boost to our defense and to special teams."

Herman also said that linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch, who separated his shoulder against OU, is progressing better and should be able to play against the Cyclones.

Iowa State heads home after a gut-wrenching 42-41 loss Saturday at Oklahoma. The Cyclones battled back from a 42-28 deficit in the fourth quarter but failed on a two-point conversion pass late in the game that could have flipped the script.

The attempt failed when Brock Purdy's well-placed pass into La'Michael Pettway's belly was intercepted. by Oklahoma's Parnell Motley.

"It looked like we had a chance to catch the ball but it got intercepted at the end of it," Iowa State coach Matt Campbell said. "Credit to them. They made the great play at the end of the game to win the game."

Iowa State has lost four games by a combined 11 points this year -- all to teams in the CFP rankings: Iowa (18-17), Baylor (23-21), Oklahoma State (34-27) and Oklahoma.

Given Texas's struggles on defense, this game sets up well for the Cyclones. Iowa State ranks 16th nationally in total offense (479.2 yards per game), which is on pace to break the school record of 439.6 set in 1976.

The Cyclones have recorded more than 400 yards of offense in eight of nine games. Their lowest offensive game of the season was a 372-yard effort vs. West Virginia.

"We try not to look ahead," Campbell said about Texas after the OU loss. "We've always had the ability to look at ourselves, figure out what we did well, what we didn't do well and get back to work. That's what it's going to take for this team to continue to move forward."

Texas leads the series at 14-2. Iowa State's lone win over the Longhorns in Ames was in 2015 (24-0).

Comment

No. 24 Kansas State faces struggling West Virginia
                  November 13, 2019
                  By STATS LLC Editorial

With new head coaches, neither No. 24 Kansas State nor West Virginia knew exactly what they had at the beginning of the season.

The Wildcats' Chris Klieman came from the FCS level, where he won four championships in five years at North Dakota State. The Mountaineers' Neal Brown came off a successful stint at Troy from the Sun Belt Conference.

They meet Saturday in Manhattan, Kan., on different paths.

Brown took over a program seemingly in better shape than Klieman's when he stepped in after Dana Holgorsen's unexpected departure for Houston. The Mountaineers finished last season tied for third in the Big 12 at 6-3 and were 8-4 overall.

But West Virginia (3-6, 1-5 Big 12) has lost five consecutive games and must win all three remaining games to be bowl eligible.

Kansas State (6-3, 3-3) has exceeded nearly everyone's predictions. Picked to finish ninth in the Big 12, K-State has defeated an SEC team (Mississippi State) on the road and then-No. 5 Oklahoma at home. A last-second loss to current No. 19 Texas last Saturday kept the Wildcats from being in prime position to play in the conference championship game.

"It stinks to lose," Klieman said after the Texas game. "There's no moral victories. Guys are hurting. But (I'm) proud of the way the guys fought and battled. We need to bounce back and have a great week of prep and get ready for the next one."

The key for Kansas State has been balance. The Wildcats are averaging 198.8 rushing yards per game and 180.7 through the air. Their point production favors the ground game, with 25 touchdowns on the ground through nine games, compared to just nine via the pass.

Quarterback Skylar Thompson had his career-best in passing yards against Texas (253), but after running for seven touchdowns in the previous two games against Oklahoma and Kansas, he was held out of the end zone.

Ironically, Brown was the choice of a large chunk of Kansas State fans when Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder retired following the 2018 season. Brown was 35-16 in his four seasons at Troy, including 31-7 in his final three seasons, when he won three bowl games. Instead, he took the job in Morgantown.

The Mountaineers have struggled on both sides of the ball in Brown's first season.

They average 253.9 passing yards per game but rank 111th out of 130 teams in total offense because the ground game is managing only 75.8 yards per game. The defense is allowing 421.0 yards per game, and Kansas State will be sure to test a run defense yielding 172.1 yards on average.

"It was a frustrating day all around," Brown said after West Virginia's 38-17 home loss to Texas Tech in which the Red Raiders led 35-10 at halftime. "I don't have any words of wisdom. We got off to an extremely poor start defensively. We settled down and did some things better, but we've got to be ready to go defensively."

One bright spot last week was freshman receiver Sam James, who had 14 receptions for 223 yards.

Oklahoma transfer quarterback Austin Kendall has struggled at times this season -- 12 touchdowns, 10 interceptions -- and might have to hold off Bowling Green transfer Jarret Doege, who appeared in his first game last week, completing 11 of 17 passes for 119 yards and a touchdown.

Comment

App State preps for hungry Georgia St.
                    November 13, 2019
                    By STATS LLC Editorial

It's no surprise No. 25 Appalachian State is making a conference title run in November. But Georgia State?

In six seasons in the Sun Belt Conference, the Panthers have posted a winning record in conference play only twice, going 5-3 in 2015 and 2017. Twice they were winless in league play, and they were 1-7 a year ago.

But the Panthers (6-3, 3-2 Sun Belt) go into Saturday night's home game in Atlanta against Appalachian State (8-1, 5-1) needing a win to have a shot at least a share of the East Division title. That would give them the tiebreaker over the Mountaineers and the berth in the conference championship game if the teams end the season deadlocked.

"We are playing a significant ball game in the month of November going up against one of the best teams in the country," Georgia State coach Shawn Elliott said. "It's certainly exciting for our football program."

The Panthers, who started the season with a shocking 38-30 win at Tennessee, come into the game off a disappointing 45-31 loss at Louisiana-Monroe. That ended a four-game winning streak, which included a big 52-33 victory over Troy.

They also lost their starting quarterback when senior Dan Ellington (201.4 passing yards per game, 67.0 rushing) suffered a knee injury. In his place will be freshman Cornelious Brown, who has played in three games. Brown played the second half against ULM and was 8-of-18 passing for 80 yards, while rushing for 14 yards.

It adds a bit of mystery for Appalachian State coach Eliah Drinkwitz and his defensive staff.

"You've got to assume he's the No. 2 quarterback, which means he's been getting No. 2 reps, which means he's been repeating the plays that the first quarterback runs," Drinkwitz said. "I don't think we'll see a scheme change overall or a lot of new plays."

Brown's other five pass attempts on the season were not completed with one interception.

The Mountaineers, who this week became the first Sun Belt team to get a spot in the College Football Playoff rankings, are coming off a win over South Carolina that gave them two victories over Power 5 conference teams. They beat North Carolina in September.

It was cause for much celebration, but Drinkwitz said his players are focused on Georgia State.

"I don't think we have any issue putting that game behind us," he said. "Yesterday they came in and everybody to a man wanted to talk about Georgia State."

Appalachian State is the second-highest scoring team in the conference with a 36.4 points-per-game average, a couple of points shy of Louisiana's 38.3. But Elliott wanted to talk about the Mountaineers' defense.

"They're all over the field," Elliott said. "They play with great intensity and they're fast. That's one of the things about that defense. They're so fast. They shut down South Carolina. I think South Carolina rushed the ball 27 times for 21 yards. If that's not shutting it down, I don't know what to say."

--Field Level Media

Comment

Penn State look to rebound vs. Indiana
                      November 12, 2019
                      By STATS LLC Editorial

Penn State will attempt to do something Saturday it hasn't had to do all season -- rebound from a loss.

The No. 9 Nittany Lions (8-1, 5-1 Big Ten) suffered their first setback last weekend in a dramatic 31-26 loss at undefeated Minnesota.

In an unlikely matchup of ranked teams, they look to bounce back against the Indiana Hoosiers (7-2, 4-2) at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pa.

While the Nittany Lions had a late chance to win -- Golden Gophers walk-on Jordan Howden intercepted Sean Clifford in the end zone with 61 seconds left -- there are plenty of reasons why they dropped to 1-7 on the road against ranked teams during coach James Franklin's tenure.

For starters, Clifford, who tossed three interceptions through eight games, matched those three in Minneapolis, including two in the first half that helped Minnesota build a 24-13 lead.

The sophomore finished with 340 yards on 23-of-43 passing with a touchdown, but his turnover while driving for the potential winning score ended any hopes of his squad remaining unbeaten.

Defensively, Penn State couldn't stop quarterback Tanner Morgan, whose quick strikes off RPO reads nullified any pass rush. Minnesota set the tone in front of sellout crowd of 51,883 by scoring on four of its first five series in the first half.

The Nittany Lions, who opened this week as a 14-point favorite, have won five straight against Indiana and 21 of 22 overall.

In Tuesday's press conference, Franklin said his team could use their first loss as "fuel."

"Everything can be used as fuel. When you win, the confidence is fuel. When you have setbacks, the adversity can be used as fuel," the sixth-year Nittany Lions coach said.

True freshman Noah Cain (ankle) is expected back after not playing last week, though Journey Brown rushed for 124 yards and two scores in his place.

While perfect starts by Penn State, Ohio State and Minnesota dominated the conference through the first two-plus months of the season, Indiana has quietly had a resurgent 2019.

However, the team's optimism after its best start since 1993 and being ranked for the first time in 25 years was tempered some last week when freshman quarterback Michael Penix Jr. was lost for the season following sternoclavicular surgery.

Penix passed for 1,394 yards with 10 touchdowns and four interceptions in six games, and he added two rushing scores. He was replaced by Peyton Ramsey, who has played in seven games and started three.

While the Hoosiers boast the No. 34 defense in the country, their offense will take center stage, especially considering Penn State's defense yielded 461 yards to Minnesota -- 339 passing.

The Hoosiers have scored at least 31 points in every game but one this season. Their two defeats were in September at home against Ohio State (51-10) and two weeks later at Michigan State (40-31).

Indiana has soared into the polls with four straight wins, surprising almost everyone -- except coach Tom Allen.

"I told our team during fall camp that we were a top-25 football team. I believed it," Allen said. "I said we got to go prove it, but that's what I believed this football team was going to do."

--Field Level Media

Comment

No. 11 Florida awaits chilly reception at Missouri
                        November 12, 2019
                        By STATS LLC Editorial

No. 11 Florida visits Missouri on Saturday to battle more than the Tigers in a Southeastern Conference game in Columbia, Mo.

The 11 a.m. local kickoff time likely will include temperatures in the 40s. That's fine for some people, though not necessarily those nicknamed Gators. The average kickoff temperature for Florida games this season has been 76.3 degrees, with the coldest being 56 degrees at South Carolina on Oct. 19.

"That's why we live in Florida," Gators coach Dan Mullen said Monday after being asked about the Missouri weather. "I was looking at their temperature right now and it's 22 and snowing.

"If you're a competitor, I don't care if you put the ball down at 2 o'clock in the morning in the middle of the parking lot -- let's go play. If that's not your mindset, you're not really a competitor."

The Gators (8-2, 5-2 SEC), who trounced visiting Vanderbilt 56-0 last weekend, will be trying to avenge losses to Missouri in each of the past two years. The Tigers won 45-16 at home in 2017 before prevailing 38-17 in The Swamp last season.

Missouri (5-4, 2-3) has lost three straight games -- 21-14 at Vanderbilt, 29-7 at Kentucky, 27-0 at Georgia -- to fall to 0-4 on the road. However, the Tigers are 5-0 at Memorial Stadium.

Missouri hasn't played at home since an Oct. 12 victory against Mississippi.

"Our kids are excited about (being back home)," coach Barry Odom said Tuesday. "We obviously need to play better, we need to play well."

That hasn't been a problem at home, where the Tigers have averaged 40.4 points, allowed 11.6 points and have earned three Power 5 wins, including against South Carolina and Ole Miss.

Missouri expects quarterback Kelly Bryant to return against the Gators. The graduate transfer from Clemson missed last week's loss at Georgia after suffering a hamstring injury two weeks earlier at Kentucky.

"Unless there's a setback, I fully anticipate him playing and playing well," Odom said.

Bryant has completed 140 of 225 passes (62.2 percent) for 1,845 yards, 14 touchdowns and five interceptions in eight games this season.

Gators quarterback Kyle Trask is coming off a stellar performance against Vanderbilt. He passed for a career-high 363 yards and three touchdowns and ran for another.

Trask said he was not overly concerned about Saturday's weather in Columbia, adding he played in "30s and raining" while in high school in Manvel, Texas.

"As a quarterback, you want to throw it the same way whether it's raining or the sun's out," Trask said Monday. "You can't give (the ball) the death grip, because it's not going to go anywhere."

Mullen said he expected defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga (ankle) and right guard Brett Heggie (concussion) to return after missing the Vanderbilt game. Odom said receiver Johnathon Johnson (shoulder strain) was day-to-day but "other than that, we've got everybody healthy."

Both teams rely on strong defenses. The Tigers give up 287.8 yards per game (10th nationally); the Gators allow 308.2 (14th).

Offensively, Florida averages 419.5 yards (ranked 56th nationally), while Missouri is at 402.9 yards per game (72nd nationally).

--Field Level Media

Comment

Wisconsin renews 'rivalry' at Nebraska
                          November 12, 2019
                          By STATS LLC Editorial

Nebraska and No. 14 Wisconsin play on Saturday in Lincoln, Neb., with some Badgers wondering if the annual matchup is really a rivalry these days.

"I think it was a big rivalry back before they had the trophy, so they created the trophy, and now it hasn't left here. I don't know if it's much of a rivalry anymore," said Wisconsin senior outside linebacker Zack Baun.

The winner of the game gets the Freedom Trophy, which was unveiled in 2014. The Badgers (7-2, 4-2) have won six straight in series against the Huskers (4-5, 2-4), so the trophy has had permanent residence in Madison.

Senior outside linebacker Chris Orr considers the game a rivalry because it pits Big Ten West opponents, and he said the trophy adds a "physical presence."

Nebraska coach Scott Frost said he'd like the Huskers to become consistent and compete on the same level with Wisconsin. Nebraska, coming off a bye week, has lost three consecutive games.

"We need to get our program to where we can give them a run and compete with them because they've consistently probably the best team in our half for quite a few years," Frost said.

"Hats off to them and credit to where they are as a program. They're probably going to have a target on their back from every Big Ten West team for a while because they've been at the top."

Wisconsin brings a bit of momentum to Lincoln following a 24-22 victory over then-No. 18 Iowa last weekend.

A key point will be how well the Badgers contain Huskers sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez. Wisconsin ranks second nationally in yards allowed (231.4 yards per game) and third in passing efficiency defense (94.90 rating).

The dual-threat Martinez has completed 110 of 185 passes for 1,492 yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions. He also has 97 rushes for 399 yards and five scores.

"It's a really explosive, good offense," Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst said. "It stresses you and everybody has to do their part in it. True assignment football. They've got a lot of playmakers and it certainly starts with him."

Wisconsin's victory over the Hawkeyes showcased the Badgers' success in the passing and running games.

Junior running back Jonathan Taylor, who has scored 19 touchdowns this season, had 31 rushes for 250 yards, both season highs. Taylor was a fringe Heisman candidate until the Badgers were upset 24-23 at Illinois on Oct. 19 and then lost by 31 at Ohio State a week later. Taylor has 5,430 rushing yards and 44 rushing touchdowns in his career.

In two games against the Huskers, Taylor has rushed 49 times for 470 yards.

Junior wide receiver Quintez Cephus caught five passes for 94 yards and one touchdown against Iowa, while junior wide receiver Danny Davis scored via a run and reception.

Junior quarterback Jack Coan continues to be a steady presence under center. He ranks fourth nationally in completion percentage (73.2) and has thrown 12 touchdowns with three interceptions.

Coan was 16 of 25 for 173 yards, two touchdowns and one pick against Iowa.

--Field Level Media

Comment

Junkyard Dawgs: No. 5 Georgia's stellar D a team effort
                            November 11, 2019
                            By The Associated Press

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Kirby Smart has coached some stellar defenses.

This might be one of his best.

Never mind the lack of star power.

''They've got some of those same traits as the good defenses I've been able to be around,'' the Georgia coach said Monday. ''But this group probably doesn't have that star, elite player. There's no guy on there that you can say is just going to be a first-round pick. That's not what this is made of. It's made of a group of guys that buy in to doing it the right way and playing team defense.''

The No. 5 Bulldogs, whose national title hopes are still alive heading into Saturday's big game at No. 13 Auburn, have posted three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1981. They're leading the Southeastern Conference and among the top five nationally in several major categories, including points allowed (10.1 per game), rushing defense (74.6 yards) and total yards (260.3).

Most impressively, Georgia is the only major-college team that's yet to allow a rushing touchdown this season.

While the Bulldogs do have senor safety J.R. Reed, a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player, they lack the sort of dominating defenders who were the hallmark of previous teams.

No Roquan Smith. No Leonard Floyd. No Jarvis Jones.

No one who looks like an early first-round NFL draft pick.

''The number one thing that stands out is their work ethic,'' Smart said. ''I mean they work really hard every day. The meetings, the game planning meetings are a joy to be in, because they're very interactive, meaning they communicate with you. They don't just sit there and listen. They answer questions. They ask questions. They take on the personality of their defensive staff, which is energetic.''

This past Saturday, they kept up that enthusiasm right to the very end, even when the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt.

With Georgia leading 27-0, Missouri had second-and-goal at the 1-yard line in the closing minutes. It didn't really matter if the Tigers scored, but the Bulldogs weren't about to make things easy. Monty Rice sliced through the line and threw Dawson Downing for a 3-yard loss, the Bulldogs forced two incomplete passes, and the third shutout of 2019 was complete.

''The players on this defense don't pride ourselves on trying to be superstars,'' defensive tackle Michael Barnett said. ''We don't look at individual statistics that much.''

Before arriving to Georgia in 2016, Smart ran some of the greatest defenses in college football history on Nick Saban's staff at Alabama.

He's brought that same sort of hard-nosed mindset to the Bulldogs.

''We're just guys that go out there and do their job,'' Reed said. ''It's not about one single person, it's about guys going out there, doing their job, and guys working hard.''

While Smart maintains a hefty influence on the defensive side of the line, Dan Lanning has made his mark right away. Only 33, he was promoted to coordinator this season after serving one year as the outside linebackers coach, assuming the role when Mel Tucker left to become the head coach at Colorado.

Lanning's high-energy approach has been a hit with his players.

So has his attention to the small details.

''He finds little stats, like last year we knew Missouri, they ran the ball on us, they had four touchdowns, 182 yards, 5.2 yards a carry,'' Reed said. ''So those are things that engraved in my head while we're going through practice and so we knew we had to go out there and stop the run. Doing things like that and showing us, basically like going to the doctor, showing us what we need to fix after each game.''

Georgia (8-1, 5-1) can clinch its third straight SEC East title and a spot in the league championship game with a victory over Auburn (7-2, 4-2), but the Bulldogs will be going against a defense that is nearly as good on the stat sheet and probably has more elite NFL prospects, especially along the front line.

It all sets up a defensive struggle on the Plains.

''Their defense speaks for itself,'' Smart said. ''They've got a ton of guys that are going to be drafted on it. They've got guys that seem like they've have played in our conference for 10 years.''

Comment

Clemson QB Lawrence back in top form
                              November 12, 2019
                              By The Associated Press

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) Praise him or criticize him, Trevor Lawrence doesn't care. Not as long as the quarterback keeps improving and No. 3 Clemson keeps winning.

Lawrence and the Tigers have done plenty of both this season.

''I really like the way we're playing,'' Lawrence said with a smile Monday.

Lawrence came into the season the potential face of college football, fresh off a dominating show where he riddled Alabama in Clemson's 44-16 national championship victory in January. Several analysts even suggested Lawrence withdraw from school and spend the next two years prepping for his inevitable selection as the NFL's No. 1 pick.

Instead, Lawrence vowed to work hard and came into the season as the first-team QB on The Associated Press All-America team presented by Regions Bank, a sure-fire favorite for the Heisman Trophy.

But the 6-foot-6 sophomore slumped early. Lawrence threw just four interceptions in his 15-0 freshman season, but he had five in his first five games this year. He struggled in Clemson's low point of the season, a 21-20 escape at North Carolina on Sept. 28 that grabbed everyone's attention for all the wrong reasons from Clemson's point of view.

Lawrence's health was questioned, his mechanics picked apart. Critics questioned the 19-year-old's ability to make the right decisions.

Take a look at Lawrence now.

Lawrence marked his 20th birthday in early October and got right back to looking every part the Crimson Tide slayer he was in January, his accuracy and talent on full display.

Over the past five games, he has thrown for 15 touchdowns, 1,172 yards and just three picks. Clemson's winning streak is now up to 25 games as it tries for a second straight perfect Atlantic Coast Conference season when it faces Wake Forest (7-2, 3-2 ACC) on Saturday.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said Lawrence has the same knack for following poor plays with big ones that Deshaun Watson had. Watson threw 17 interceptions during his last season with the Tigers, which ended with the 2016 national title.

''Deshaun made some bad plays, too, but how did he respond?'' Swinney said. ''He always was going to make the next play. And that's how Trevor is. He's the exact same. He doesn't go in a shell. He doesn't pout. He just responds.''

Swinny and the coaching staff have become used to Lawrence's steadiness in almost every situation. Swinney said Lawrence is continually soaking up lessons to make himself a better teammate and player for the Tigers (10-0, 7-0, No. 5 CFP).

Lawrence said he believes the offensive is playing at a higher level than a year ago because younger players like himself, tailback Travis Etienne and receivers Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins are another year more accomplished in the game.

''We're in the same spot,'' Lawrence said. ''But I believe we're a little bit better because of continuity, the guys have been playing together longer.''

Now, about that hair. Lawrence's long locks have led to memes and gentle mocking, even from his teammates. Last year's All-American defensive tackle, Christian Wilkins, joked about taking ''a pretty girl'' out for breakfast (it was Lawrence) while offensive lineman John Simpson came to ACC media days last summer in a long, blonde wig.

While Lawrence appears steady and calm, safety K'Von Wallace said he has emotions his teammates see all the time.

''He's a human being,'' Wallace said. ''He laughs and plays jokes just like all of us. ... It just so happens that God blessed him to be 6-6 and the best quarterback in the country.''

WHO'S HOT

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

Harris has surpassed 100 yards rushing in three of the last four games, including a season-best 146 against No. 1 LSU. The junior and former five-star recruit has had to wait his turn to become Alabama's feature back. Now, he has developed into one of the most complete backs in the country, adding 19 receptions and five touchdown catches to 788 yards rushing and six scores.

WHO'S NOT

Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest

The sophomore's breakout season is over. Surratt will miss the rest of the year because of an injury that requires surgery. He appeared to injure his shoulder against Virginia Tech last week after scoring two touchdowns. He finishes the season with 66 catches for 1,001 yards and 11 touchdowns, leading the ACC in all three categories.

ALL-AMERICA WATCH

Raequan Williams, DT, Michigan State vs. Ben Bredesen, OG, Michigan

Michigan State is struggling, but Williams has been moving people in the middle and leading a stingy run defense. Bredesen was a preseason All-American who has helped spark a rejuvenated running game.

Comment

Working...
                              X