Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bum's NFL Preseason Picks-Results-Etc. !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL notebook: Steelers GM says Bell's holdout hurting him
    August 10, 2017

Star running back Le'Veon Bell is only hurting himself with his holdout, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Bell, who has yet to sign his $12.12 million franchise tender, can't be fined for his absence from training camp because he doesn't have a contract. The 25-year-old isn't allowed to receive a long-term deal this season because the deadline for tagged players passed on July 17.

"My feeling is there's nothing to be gained by a holdout," Colbert said Wednesday. "The situation won't change; it can't really change from our part on a long-term deal.

"So it hurts him not to be here. It hurts him because he's not working with his teammates, he's not getting the conditioning work that he's going to need to have a great 2017 season. And he's not working with his teammates to get acclimated to the offense -- every year it's different."

DeAngelo Williams took up for his fellow running back by voicing his displeasure on Twitter.

"Wow he really said that!" Williams wrote. "Please explain to me how because when he gets back he will be the freshest body out there with his skillset #wrong"

--Indianapolis Colts center Ryan Kelly was spotted using crutches after exiting practice with an undisclosed injury.

"I didn't see it," Colts coach Chuck Pagano said of the injury to Kelly. "I think I was on the other field. I heard after a while they took him off. I'll wait and see what the docs and trainers have to say."

Undrafted free agent acquisition Deyshawn Bond stepped in for Kelly, who started all 16 games during his rookie season. The 24-year-old Kelly was selected with the 18th overall pick of the 2016 draft.

Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett missed his fourth consecutive practice because of a hamstring injury, according to multiple reports.

--Houston Texans offensive tackle David Quessenberry was admittedly emotional after playing in a preseason game on Wednesday.

The contest wasn't just your run-of-the-mill game for Quessenberry. The 26-year-old was playing in an NFL game for the first time since being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin T-lymphoblastic lymphoma three years ago.

Quessenberry finished his last chemotherapy treatment in April and returned to the practice field for the first time during OTAs.

"I was nervous for about three days leading up to this," Quessenberry said, per ESPN. "Even a preseason game. It was probably the most nervous I've been for a football game in my life. Before the game I got really emotional when I saw some of my family out there on the sideline. But once the first play started, it was back to football."

--Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Jude Adjei-Barimah suffered a patellar fracture in his right knee and will require surgery that will probably end his season.

Adjei-Barimah dealt with a similar injury late last season and rehabilitated the knee in the offseason. The latest setback was diagnosed during an MRI exam.

Adjei-Barimah played in 10 games last season while serving primarily as the nickelback. He had 22 tackles and one forced fumble.

Starting cornerback Brent Grimes also is ailing after suffering a deep cut on his right shin during Wednesday's practice. Grimes could miss most of the entire exhibition season.

--Aaron Rodgers is on record as saying that he'd like to still be playing professional football when he's 40.

While that gives the current Green Bay Packers quarterback plenty of time on the field, a certain long-time inhabitant of Lambeau Field has a question for Rodgers.

"Why stop at 40?" Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre asked of the 33-year-old Rodgers on Wednesday while speaking at the Lee Remmel Sports Awards Banquet in De Pere, Wis. "He moves around as well as anyone in the game right now. That's big,. I would think that barring any injury -- and he knows how to protect himself -- six or seven years from now is a long time to think that far down the road, but there's no reason to think he couldn't play and play at a high level until -- I'm not going to say 43, 44, it's up to the individual -- and I don't see any decline in his game unless he doesn't want to play anymore."

Favre played until he was 41.
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

Betting on Brees
      August 10, 2017

Are The Saints Grounding Brees?

Fantasy players across the world want to know if Drew Brees is going to be a monster on the stat sheet again. In any other year, it’s usually a given. The 17-year veteran is a remarkably consistent pigskin pusher throwing for an average of 5,140.8 and 39.8 touchdowns over the last six seasons. So when BetOnline.ag releases NFL Individual Stat markets that attempt to project Brees’s ungodly numbers, there’s a fun intersection of gambling and fantasy football.

The market for Brees sets his passing yard total at 4,999.5 with a touchdown total of 33.5 for this upcoming season. Compared to his averages, and his mind boggling 2016 numbers alone, that seems to be a bit low. The interesting part is that the betting marks for his passing yards indicate a favorite. To bet the OVER here, which means he’d have to throw for at least 5,000 yards you get even money at +100. The UNDER is listed at -130.

Which means that the BetOnline.ag oddsmakers think that Brees is more likely to have a bit of a down year for him. What’s pointing them in this direction? The answer is pretty simple.

The arrival of Adrian Peterson, combined with the fact that New Orleans kept Mark Ingram and fullback John Kuhn lean towards the idea that the Saints are more than willing to diversify their attack. Needless to say, it’s about goddamn time.

The Saints have always been one of the best passing attacks in the league, and I don’t think they’ll miss Brandin Cooks as much as the New England Patriots will appreciate having him. Michael Thomas was a breakout talent last season with 1,137 yards and 9 touchdowns, emerging as the new-age Marques Colston-type target that Brees loves.

The rest of the receiving corps is a smattering of underscored pass catchers like Willie Snead, who are totally fine given that Brees is their quarterback. That guy can turn anyone in to a fantasy dynamo and rack up huge numbers for himself in the process, but the Saints haven’t actually benefited all that much from it.

New Orleans has endured three straight 7-9 SU seasons and missed the playoffs every single time. Maybe they just haven’t recovered from Marshawn Lynch’s insane, earthquake inducing touchdown.

No team in the NFL has been necessarily scared of New Orleans attacking on the ground. They averaged the 16th most yards last year with Ingram and Cadet, but adding Peterson is a very interesting decision. I know that running-backs in this league have short lifespans, and that anyone over the age of 29 is usually on the downside of their career. But I think Adrian Peterson is an exception to the rule.

Wagering on Brees’s production in the NFL futures markets at BetOnline.ag depends entirely on if you think Peterson can pull his weight. To be fair, he’s only played in 20 games over the past three years. He last two games in 2016 before being basically shelved for the remainder of the season (he returned in mid-December for Week 15 and was barely a factor).

Bringing on Peterson for a 2-year, $7M deal is a great gamble by the Saints. He’s what they’ve been missing. And the last time Peterson played with a truly great quarterback was way back in 2009 when Brett Favre arrived in Minneosta. Favre passed for 4,202 yards, 33 touchdowns and 7 yards while Peterson was a menace with 1,383 yards and 18 scores of his own. If the idea is that Peterson and Ingram can keep each other healthy by spelling one another, then the workload on Brees becomes far less dramatic.

It would be lunacy to bet on the Saints to win the Super Bowl too, let alone the division. The Panthers, Falcons and Bucs all measure out as better teams. So if you want to get in on a long-term bet on the Saints, the best place to look is Brees’s Individual Stats.

Brees launching passes like he’s in a video game is a gameplan that hasn’t worked well for New Orleans. He’s certainly not to blame for their woes because the defence needs to be better. The defence was pretty much the worst in the league last year, and let them down time and again in important games. So naturally Brees has to pick up some slack.

The UNDER feels like a strong take given the arrival of Peterson, but this can also work both ways. Peterson is a very good pass-catcher out of the backfield. In 2015 he was targeted 36 times. More importantly, when Favre was in town he was targeted 57 times.

To put this in perspective, Aaron Rodgers has a total of 4,440.5 yards to eclipse in his Individual Stats bet while Andy Dalton has 4,200.5 yards. The idea of Brees breaching that illustrious 5,000 yard plateau feels a bit ridiculous especially given the decision of the Saints’ brass to ship out Cooks and bring in Peterson. The UNDER for Brees is most likely the best futures wager you can make on the Saints.

Comment

Friday's Preseason Tips
        August 11, 2017

Steelers at Giants (-3 ½, 37) - 7 PM EST

Pittsburgh
        Head coach: Mike Tomlin (22-20 SU, 18-24 ATS in preseason)
        Quarterback rotation: Joshua Dobbs (Rookie), Bart Houston (Rookie)
        Beat Twitter Follow: Gerry Dulac

Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell won't participate, but everyone else who is healthy will be out there for Tomlin's Steelers. That will include burner Martavis Bryant, whose regular-season future remains unclear but who is now available to practice and participate in exhibitions. Normal backup Landry Jones is sidelined, so this will be the Dobbs show. The rookie from Tennessee hopes to become this year's Dak Prescott, ironic since Big Ben weighing retirement. Cancer survivor James Conner, a local college star who has Pittsburgh excited, has missed practices all week, putting his participation in this one in doubt. Injuries have played a major role in throwing off the Steelers' preparation.

New York
        Head coach: Ben McAdoo (2-2 SU, 2-2 ATS in preseason)
        Quarterback rotation: Josh Johnson, Geno Smith, Davis Webb (Rookie)
        Beat Twitter Follow: Dan Duggan

Eli Manning and Odell Bechkam, Jr. have been excellent in practices, per reports, but they're unlikely to participate here if McAdoo follows the same script as last year. Johnson and Smith are vying for the backup role, making this a big game as far as that battle is concerned. Webb, a third-round pick who threw for over 4,200 yards at Cal last season, will finish the contest. McAdoo's Giants were outscored 48-10 in the first two preseason games last year.

Bucs at Bengals (-2, 37) - 7:30 PM EST

Tampa Bay
        Head coach: Dirk Koetter (2-2 SU, 2-2 ATS in preseason)
        Quarterback rotation: Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Griffin, Sefo Liufau (Rookie)
        Beat Twitter Follow: Jenna Laine

The Bucs made their debut on HBO's "Hard Knocks" this week and it appears story lines will center around the charismatic Winston, receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson and rookie linebacker Riley Bullough, an undrafted free agent hoping who has opened eyes but looks like a longshot to make the final roster. RB Doug Martin will be suspended for the first three regular-season games, so Koetter will have to strike the right balance between getting him reps and making sure he has multiple options ready to try and replace his production. Tampa Bay lost its exhibition opener 17-9 on Aug. 11, 2016.

Cincinnati
        Head coach: Marvin Lewis (29-28 SU, 30-26-1 ATS in preseason)
        Quarterback rotation: Andy Dalton, A.J. McCarron, Jeff Driskel
        Beat Twitter Follow: Katherine Terrell

It hasn't been the ideal practice week for the Bengals since Lewis has been nursing a knee injury that saw him sent home on Tuesday and the team didn't do much the other day in order to be fresh for this one since injuries have been a major issue. In addition to all the attrition, a wild rumor that the team was sending McCarron to Denver made the rounds. A number of key players aren't expected to participate and Driskel will likely wind up taking the bulk of the snaps. Running back Joe Mixon should debut in the second half. Defensively, fourth-round draft pick Carl Lawson, and Auburn product who would've been drafted higher if not for baggage, has excelled throughout camp.

49ers at Chiefs (-3 ½, 37 ½) - 9:00 PM EST

San Francisco
        Head coach: Kyle Shanahan (No preseason record)
        Quarterback rotation: Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, CJ Beathard (Rookie), Nick Mullens (Rookie)
        Beat Twitter Follow: Cam Inman

Shanahan spent nearly a decade as an offensive coordinator with stops in Houston, Washington, Cleveland and Atlanta, so even though he's finally secured a head seat, this shouldn't be too different a change. He's calling the plays, has a pair of veterans to get the ball rolling in the first half and will turn it over to Beathard to close it out unless Mullens gets in there late. Carlos Hyde, Tim Hightower and rookies Joe Williams and Matt Breida give the 49ers plenty of options to work with on the ground. Defensively, No. 3 pick Reuben Foster has already moved into the starting lineup at linebacker and has drawn rave reviews, but we'll see how long he plays since he injured an ankle in practice earlier this week. Robert Saleh, a linebackers coach for Jacksonville the past three seasons, is a first-time defensive coordinator.

Kansas City
        Head coach: Andy Reid (34-38 SU, 34-34-4 ATS in preseason)
        Quarterback rotation: Alex Smith, Tyler Bray, Patrick Mahomes (Rookie), Joel Stave
        Beat Twitter Follow: Terez Paylor

All of the quarterbacks are expected to get a quarter according to Reid, but Chiefs fans are salivating over the debut of top draft pick Mahomes, who is set to open the second half. Rookie RB Kareem Hunt has been a standout in camp, joining a crowded backfield that has moved on from Jamaal Charles with Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West and the newly acquired C.J. Spiller all vying to play a major role in the team's regular-season plans. Kansas City put together its lowest-scoring preseason since Reid took over last year after a perfect run in '15 where it averaged 26.5 points. To approach that type of production, the Chiefs will need explosive plays out of Tyreek Hill and a batch of unheralded receivers looking to impress. Per reports, Hill has picked up where he left off last season and has been tremendous in camp.

Comment

FRIDAY, AUGUST 11

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

PIT at NYG 07:00 PM

NYG -3.5

O 35.5

TB at CIN 07:30 PM

TB +2.0

O 37.0

SF at KC 09:00 PM

SF +4.5

U 38.0

Comment

Steelers top sloppy Giants, 20-12
            August 11, 2017

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Watching T.J. Watt and Josh Dobbs in their first NFL game, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin got what he expected from the draft picks.

They had their ups and downs, and they showed they belonged in the league, as did eighth-year linebacker Arthur Moats.

Dobbs threw a 28-yard touchdown pass, Moats set up Chris Boswell's go-ahead 37-yard field goal in the third quarter with an interception and Watt -the younger brother of Houston's J.J. Watt - lived up to his first-round billing with sacks on his first two series in a 20-12 preseason win over the New York Giants on Friday night.

With the Steelers short-handed, Dobbs, Watt and Moats were on the field most of the game.

''I think just getting out there in general, having a play on (special) teams and then having the sack as I did, it calmed the nerves a little bit,'' said Watt, who had five tackles, two sacks and three quarterback hits.

''At the same time I felt like I belong here. I came into this game with a certain amount of confidence because of the work I put in.''

A fourth-round pick out of Tennessee, Dobbs didn't get off to a quick start. His two early interceptions led to two New York Giants field goals, but he turned his game around with a 44-yard pass to Cobi Hamilton to set up Bosworth's first field goal and he added a 28-yard scoring strike to Hamilton for a 10-9 lead after Donte Deayon fumbled a punt in the final minute of the first half and Mike Hilton recovered at the Giants 28.

''Of course there were some throws you want back and some plays that were good,'' Dobbs said. ''I was able to respond from a little adversity at the beginning of the game, but this is a good start and I'll be able to build off this.''

Terrell Watson added a 15-yard touchdown run in a game that had little offense with Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers and Eli Manning of the Giants being given the night off.

Moats was a force on defense for the Steelers. He had six tackles, three sacks, three quarterback hits and a pass defended in addition to his interception. He laughed when asked when was the last time he had a game like that.

''Playing Madden,'' he said.

''Any time you are keeping score you want to win,'' Moats said. ''Even though it's the preseason and some teams may not take it as serious, any time we are out there and representing the Steelers organization we want to put our best foot forward and we did that tonight.''

Pittsburgh also was without injured backup quarterback Landry Jones, but that didn't matter because the Giants didn't get much from either Josh Johnson or Geno Smith, and New York was generous with the football.

A 45-yard field goal by Mike Nugent on the opening series of the second half put New York ahead 12-10, but Moats' interception and Boswell's field goal put the Steelers ahead 13-12.

Watson capped a nine-play, 53-yard drive that Bart Houston guided in his first series after taking over for Dobbs, who was 8 of 15 for 100 yards and two interceptions.

Blake's interception and 11-yard return to the Steelers 39 set up a 27-yard field goal by rookie Aldrick Rosas, who added a 52-yarder late in the second quarter for a 9-3 lead.

An interception by lineman Devon Taylor led to a 30-yard field goal by Nugent and a 6-0 lead.

JOSH AND GENO:
            Johnson and Smith had their ups and downs in the battle for the No. 2 job behind Manning. Johnson was 5 of 10 for 31 yards. Smith was 10 of 16 for 114. Neither got much protection from their line and running game (23 carries for 73 yards) offered little help.

Giants coach Ben McAdoo said Johnson moved the team in and out of the huddle well, but Smith started off with a hot hand but his interception ''was a blind throw.''

INJURIES: Steelers second-round draft pick JuJu Smith-Schuster left the game with a concussion in the first quarter. Giants veteran S Duke Ihenacho pulled a hamstring in the second quarter and did not return.

MISSING STARS: Steelers WRs Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, who is coming off a one-year suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy, did not play. Bryant will return to practice Sunday. Giants WRs Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard did not play. Brandon Marshall played the first series. New York also rested DE Jason Pierre-Paul and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

''It's a great feeling, it's a long time coming,'' Bryant said of getting back to practice after the game. ''I worked hard and I'm just happy the process is almost over.''

Comment

Bengals beat Buccaneers, 23-12
              August 11, 2017

CINCINNATI (AP) Ryan Fitzpatrick made a good initial impression with Tampa Bay.

The rest was so-so.

Fitzpatrick completed his first series with a 6-yard touchdown run before the Cincinnati Bengals pulled away to a 23-12 victory over the Buccaneers on Friday night.

The 34-year-old quarterback signed a one-year deal for a chance to back up Jameis Winston . Fitzpatrick had mixed results after his TD, going 6 of 13 overall with an interception. He also scrambled twice for 15 yards. Fitzpatrick lost the ball while trying to throw, but recovered his fumble.

''It's nice to get into a game situation just figuring out how they set the tempo and pace,'' Fitzpatrick said. ''It's something I've had to work on.''

Ryan Griffin - Tampa Bay's third-string quarterback the past two seasons - left in the fourth quarter after someone landed on his passing shoulder. There was no estimate how long he'll be sidelined.

''It's all a process now,'' said Griffin, who was 4 of 9 for 57 yards. ''I haven't been hurt before, so we'll see how it goes.''

Tampa Bay opened the game with a 14-play, 92-yard drive, but had to settle for a field goal after Adam ''Pacman'' Jones broke up a pair of Winston's passes in the end zone. Jones is suspended by the NFL for the season opener because of his offseason arrest.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was on the sideline after missing a practice last week because of a knee problem.

Andy Dalton had his full complement of receivers - A.J. Green and tight end Tyler Eifert have returned from significant injuries last season - and moved the offense smoothly on Cincinnati's opening drive before making a bad decision. Vernon Hargreaves III anticipated Dalton's sideline throw and picked off a pass at the 1-yard line .

Dalton had plenty of time to throw behind Cincinnati's reconfigured line.

''I just wish I could have that last play back,'' said Dalton, who was 4 of 5 for 38 yards on his only drive.

Green, who missed the last half of last season with a hamstring injury, had a pair of catches for 21 yards.

Both teams have kicker competitions that were in the spotlight in their preseason opener.

Roberto Aguayo made a 20-yard field goal on Tampa Bay's opening possession, but he was wide right on a 47-yard try and hit the right upright on the extra-point attempt. Nick Folk was good from 45 yards on his only chance.

The Bengals' kickers were perfect. Randy Bullock made field goals of 54 and 49 yards and his extra-point try. Jake Elliott, who was drafted in the fifth round, connected from 45 yards and also made an extra point.

''We both had a good night tonight,'' Elliott said. ''We put all of them through, which is what you want.''

INJURIES

Buccaneers: CB Brent Grimes (leg) and C Ali Marpet (ankle) sat out. RB Russell Hansbrough left in the fourth quarter to be evaluated for a concussion.

Bengals: RB Giovani Bernard was held out along with first-round pick WR John Ross, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Bernard has fully practiced in camp while recovering from ACL surgery midway through last season.

ROOKIE WATCH

Buccaneers: TE O.J. Howard, the 19th overall pick, didn't have a catch, with only one pass thrown his way. WR Chris Godwin had one catch for 14 yards.

Bengals: RB Joe Mixon had several nice runs, avoiding tacklers to get extra yards. He carried six times for 31 yards and turned his only reception into an 11-yard gain by slipping through a pair of attempted tackles. He's competing with Jeremy Hill for playing time.

''Once I got that first carry and got the first-game jitters out of the way, I adjusted,'' Mixon said. ''It was just playing football.''

SORTING OUT THE RBs

Tampa Bay will miss Doug Martin for the first three games as he serves a suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing substances. Martin carried four times for 11 yards. Jacquizz Rodgers, who is expected to be the featured back while he's gone, also carried four times for 11 yards.

QUOTABLE

After his touchdown, Fitzpatrick simply flipped the ball to an official instead of celebrating. Nobody touched him after he took off for the end zone.

''I went left and there was nothing in front of me,'' he said. ''I was so surprised. I had no celebration planned. I didn't know what to do.''

UP NEXT

Buccaneers: Play at Jacksonville on Thursday.

Bengals: Host Kansas City next Saturday.

Comment

Saturday’s six-pack

— 96 major leaguers have been on the DL more than once this season.

— White Sox 6, Royals 3- KC has followed 9-game win streak with a 2-10 skid.

— Mets 7, Phillies 6— Amed Rosario’s first MLB homer was the game-winner.

— Marlins 6, Rockies 3— Giancarlo Stanton hit his 40th home run.

— Dolphins’ QB Ryan Tannehill will have knee surgery, is done for the season.
                — DL happenings:

Cubs’ C Willson Contreras (hamstring) is expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

New York P CC Sabathia (knee) goes on the 10-day DL.

Seattle P James Paxton (pectoral) goes on the 10-day DL

Saturday’s List of 13: Random stuff with weekend here……..

13) Buffalo Bills had an active Friday; they traded WR Sammy Watkins and a 2018 6th-round pick to the Rams, getting CB E.J. Gaines and an ’18 2nd-round pick in return.

They also traded CB Ronald Darby to the Eagles for WR Jordan Matthews and a 2018 3rd-round pick. Buffalo now has six picks in the first three rounds of the 2018 draft.

In 2014, Bills traded two first-round draft picks to move up and acquire Watkins ahead of Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Jr. Oy.

12) Dallas Cowboys’ RB Ezekiel Elliott was suspended by the NFL for six games; Dallas has a Week 6 bye, so Elliott can return for the Week 8 game with the Redskins.

11) Indians @ Rays Thursday night; attendance was 9,533
                Indians @ Rays Friday night; attendance was 16,794

When the Rays move to Canada and become the Montreal Expos, this is why…….

10) Eagles’ backup QB Matt McGloin was 28-42 passing in Green Bay Thursday; lot of passes for a third-string QB to throw in an exhibition game.

9) Chicago Bears have a veteran QB trying to hold off a first-round draft pick, with a head coach on the hot seat. Sound familiar?

The 2016 Rams had a veteran QB (Case Keenum) trying to hold off a first-round draft pick (Jared Goff), with a head coach on the hot seat (Jeff Fisher).

Hope this season works out better for Coach Fox than last year did for Jeff Fisher.

8) Didn’t help Chicago’s new QB Mike Glennon when he threw a pick-6 0:48 into the Bears’ first preseason game, Thursday vs Denver. People are not patient in today’s world.

7) One of the prettiest plays of the weekend was Miami backup QB David Fales throwing a 99-yard TD to Damore’ea Stringfellow, an undrafted free agent from Ole Miss.

6) Golfer Patrick Cantlay eagled the 7th hole at the PGA Thursday and Friday. Hard to do.

5) Dodgers started this season 10-12; they’re 71-21 since. LA was 9-11 when they called Cody Bellinger up to the big leagues on April 25- you do the math.

4) Houston Astros were 58-27 in their first 85 games, with a 3.91 team ERA.
                Since then, they’re 13-16, with a 5.20 team ERA.

3) Cardinals’ pitcher Lance Lynn got drilled in the top of his head by a line drive hit by Lorenzo Cain Thursday night, but he stayed in the game and pitched six innings. St Louis swept four games from Kansas City- they hit grand slams in consecutive games Wednesday/Thursday for the first time in six years.

2) Jeffrey Loria has apparently sold the Miami Marlins for $1.25B, thats billion, with a B, to a group of 16 investors, most famous of which is Derek Jeter, who will run the baseball side. Fans in Miami are better off without Loria.

1) Over the last seven years, A’s/Nationals have made ten separate trades; it is almost like your local fantasy league, where certain people only trade with certain other people.

But in a business where teams are worth $1B or so, or more, do teams really do each other favors when one team is in contention and the other isn’t?

On July 16, the A’s sent Sean Doolittle/Ryan Madson to bullpen-starved Washington- the Nationals also added Brandon Kintzler from the Twins. Problem solved for Washington.

When the A’s needed a catcher in 2013, all of a sudden Kurt Suzuki fell into their lap, a gift from the Nationals. It helps to have friends.

Comment

Saturday's Best Bet
                  August 11, 2017

Saturday NFL Best Bet
                  Oakland Raiders vs. Arizona Cardinals

Week 1 of the NFL preseason is nearing a close and for football bettors everywhere it means we are one more week closer to games actually meaning something.

However, there is still plenty of money to be made on preseason betting odds, especially when certain situations pop up that favor one team over the other. This week's Oakland/Arizona definitely fits that latter category, as this is the 2nd preseason game for Arizona after losing in the HOF game a week ago.

BetDSI.eu Odds: Arizona (-3); Total set at 39.5

Although many of Arizona's starters sat on the sidelines in street clothes during last weeks' 20-18 loss in the HOF game, the fact that this is the second preseason tilt for the rest of the squad is a good thing from a betting perspective. Guys like backup QB Blaine Gabbert – who was 11-for-14 – have already established some sort of rhythm, and when they get on the field this week for the Cardinals after the starters get their one or two series' things could start to turn Arizona's way.

From 2013 through 2015 (there was no HOF game in 2016), NFL teams that got that extra game early on in the preseason ended up going 4-2 ATS (4-2 O/U) during “Week 1” of the preseason the following week. So while the level of play in the HOF game may never be spectacular, it does suggest that the extra time on the field helps those two teams against the spread the next week.

Arizona fits that bill in this one, and with VegasInsider.com's betting percentages showing plenty of support (75%+) for the underdogs from Oakland, there may actually be quite a bit of value in laying the points here.

All of that Oakland loves stems in large part to the high expectations many have for the Raiders this year, but a common mistake bettors make during the preseason is projecting regular season expectations on those same teams in games that mean next to nothing. Oakland should be one of those teams that we see get plenty of support from bettors all year long, but it looks like many are seeing the three points they are getting with Oakland here and jumping all over it.

Public underdogs are typically bankroll killers in NFL betting (regular season or not), and with history on the side of the Cardinals with this being their second game, those of you considering grabbing the points with Oakland as many already have may want to reconsider.

With Arizona's starters likely to see some time on the field, and possibly even backup QB Drew Stanton getting significant reps before we see Gabbert again, the depth advantage has to lie with the Cardinals in this spot.

With that being the case and Arizona being a favorite that's getting next to nothing in terms of betting support, I've got to lay the points here and hopefully it will add a bit more money to my bankroll for those regular season bets on the Raiders that many have been clamouring for all summer long.

Odds per - BetDSI.eu

Best Bet: Arizona (-3)

Comment

Rookie QBs to Watch
                    August 11, 2017

Which Rookie Quarterbacks Will Start in 2017?

There are truthfully two guys who have really good shots at starting in the 2017 NFL season, and both are the ones that everyone’s talking about right now. But there’s a third who may sneak in. Let’s take a look at the rookie quarterback class of 2017 and see who’s most likely to be moved up on the depth chart to QB1.

Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago Bears – 2nd Pick)
                    Breaking news! Mike Glennon isn’t very good! Everyone in Tampa Bay could’ve told you that. The Bears signed the former backup to a $45M deal over three-years which is looking more and more like a one-year deal for $18.5M. There’s a built in out for Chicago to dump him with a dead cap hit of just $4.5M after this season.

Glennon went just 2-for-8 and 20 yards and a pick in a brutal performance against one of the best defences in the NFL. Then in came Trubisky, the second overall pick who whizzed 18-of-23 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown to Victor Cruz.

Trubisky didn’t have to face the top end talent of the Broncos by the time he entered, but he far outclassed Glennon. Chicago is starving for a good quarterback after years of Jay Cutler and they have probably found the right guy.

The truth is that Trubisky needs a lot more time to develop, which is why it was always going to be worth it to start Glennon. The problem is that the NFL world doesn’t have much patience for terrible quarterback play when there’s a potential franchise guy on the sidelines. Chicago is an especially boisterous fanbase and they could propel Trubisky in to the starting lineup if the Bears realize that Glennon is nothing more than the backup he’s always been.

Deshaun Watson (Houston Texans – 12th Pick)

Everyone is buzzing about Watson after he dazzled against the backup units of the Carolina Panthers. Listen, Watson is great and we all know this. Watson completed 15-of-25 for 179 yards while also rushing for 24 yards and a pretty easy walk-in touchdown.

What stood out about Watson was how well he read the second unit of Carolina,. He was as poised and collected as he was when he beat the Alabama Crimson Tide not too long ago.

Tom Savage is a totally fine quarterback, but he has never felt like a franchise quarterback. The Texans have had a long standing history of bad quarterbacks, but they might have hit the nail perfectly in drafting Watson.

Pocket passers usually struggle as rookie starters which is why Watson’s playmaking ability as a runner might sneak him in as the first rookie quarterback to start in the 2017 NFL season.

If he remotely lives up to the hype that he’s generated this week, the value on the Texans to win the AFC South at +190 jumps up dramatically.

DeShone Kizer (Cleveland Browns – 52nd Overall Pick)
                    The former Notre Dame standout looked brilliant in an 11-for-18 performance that produced 184 yards. Brock Osweiler is close to playing his smug face out of yet another job after being absolutely brutal, but there’s a catch here when it comes to the idea that Kizer could start in 2017. And his name is Cody Kessler.

As a third-round pick in 2016, Kessler was decent in his rookie season with a 65.6 completion percentage, 1,380 yards and 6 touchdowns against 2 picks. This might come as a bit of a surprise, but Kessler actually outperformed the second overall pick from his own draft in Carson Wentz, who put up dodgy numbers. Wentz ended the year with an 79.3 quarterback rating. Kessler managed a 92.3 rating.

Don’t be surprised if the Browns smartly keep Kizer studying the playbook and the NFL game while Kessler takes his lumps throughout 2017.

Nathan Peterman (Buffalo Bills – 171st Pick)
                    Who? The Buffalo Bills are obviously hitting the reset button on their personnel after pulling off a trade that shipped out Sammy Watkins and brought in some great draft picks. If they want to move up the 2018 NFL Draft board, they already have a guy who can help them sink to the bottom of the rankings in Tyrod Taylor.

Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City Chiefs – 10th Pick)
                    Davis Webb (New York Giants – 87th Pick)
                    Joshua Dobbs (Pittsburgh Steelers – 135th Pick)
                    Brad Kaaya (Detroit Lions – 215th Pick)

Sorry guys, you’re playing behind established and very well paid franchise quarterbacks. Even Mahomes, who was the second quarterback taken in the draft, knows what the deal is. Kansas City went 12-4 SU ad 9-7 ATS while clowning the division last year with a perfect 6-0 SU record.

C.J. Beathard (San Francisco 49ers – 104th Pick)
                    Yup, when you’re the San Francisco 49ers anything is possible. Beathard was a third round pick so it’s not like he’s a scrub, and the only guys he has to beat are Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley. The former was signed on to carry a franchise that can’t figure out how to win, while the latter is so barely wanted by any franchise looking towards the future.

If San Francisco plummets in to the toilet this year, as they’re projected to with a Regular Season Win Total of just 5.5 games, it wouldn’t be unlikely for Beathard to get the call. We’re talking about a guy that Kyle Shanahan reached for in the draft. The man knows what he wants and there’s certainty around San Francisco’s training camp that Shanahan really likes the former Iowa starter.

Chad Kelly (Denver Broncos – 253rd Pick)

There is little to no chance that Chad Kelly plays in 2017 but that’s largely because he is recovering from an assortment of serious injuries. The former Ole’ Miss Rebel tore his ACL in November 2016 and is still recovering. He also hurt his wrist and is simply unable to participate in practice. We can maybe chat about him going in to 2018 when Trevor Siemian has watched his career turned to ashes, but until then there’s no point in getting all hot and bothered about Kelly supplanting anyone in Denver.

Comment

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

TEN at NYJ 07:30 PM

TEN -3.0

O 36.5

DAL at LAR 09:00 PM

LAR +3.0

O 37.5

OAK at ARI 10:00 PM

OAK +3.0

U 40.0

Comment

Mariota returns; Jets top Titans 7-3 in preseason opener
                        August 12, 2017

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Marcus Mariota got out on the field, ran a handful of plays and then watched the rest of the game from the sideline.

It was a nice, simple night for the franchise quarterback.

Mariota played in his first game since breaking his right leg late last season, easily the most important development for the Tennessee Titans in their 7-3 loss to the New York Jets on Saturday in the exhibition opener for each team.

''I enjoyed the moment,'' he said. ''You kind of create those moments when you're going through the rehab process. You keep telling yourself `This is what you're working for' and that's the way I approached it.''

Mariota, who had 3,426 yards and 26 touchdowns in 2016 before his injury on Dec. 24, played two series in the first quarter.

''The recovery process was a long one,'' Mariota said. ''To be able to be out there today with the guys, I enjoyed it.''

On his first attempt, he scrambled to his right and completed a 15-yard pass to Rishard Matthews . He finished 2 of 3 for 15 yards.

''Instincts kind of took over,'' he said. ''It felt good to get out of the pocket and make a play.''

Unlike the Titans, the Jets' quarterback situation is more muddled. Well-traveled veteran Josh McCown got the start for New York. He was 3 of 4 for 72 yards and a touchdown in his one series, which was enough for the win because the Jets defense had eight sacks and was dominant throughout.

Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016, took over for McCown and played until late in the third quarter. Hackenberg was 18 of 25 for 127 yards.

''He has some things to build off,'' Jets coach Todd Bowles said of Hackenberg. ''He has some positives that we can look at and he can build from. He's got some negatives that we've got to correct. That's to be expected in the first game.''

Bryce Petty, a fourth-round pick in 2015, finished up and was 2 of 6 for 16 yards.

Robby Anderson, an undrafted free agent who was trying to make the team a year ago, is the Jets' No. 1 receiver after Quincy Enunwa was lost for the season to a neck injury. He had three receptions for 71 yards.

Anderson made a nice 53-yard catch on the opening drive, which ended with McCown's 4-yard TD pass Charone Peake .

''It felt great to get in there with the guys,'' McCown said. ''The O-line was excellent. Robby made a heckuva play. And we finished it off. Peake made a great catch.''

Titans rookie receiver Taywan Taylor made a leaping a 42-yard catch in the third quarter. The drive ended with Ryan Succop's 36-yard field goal.

Titans running back Derrick Henry, the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner, had eight carries for 29 yards.

Alex Tanney replaced Mariota and was sacked by linebacker Julian Stanford on his first play and briefly left the game. He returned for the next series. Tanney was 10 of 26 for 128 yards with an interception and lost a fumble on a sack.

Former Jets wide receiver Eric Decker had no catches in his return to the Meadowlands. Decker was signed by the Titans in June after he was cut by the Jets in their salary purge.

N.Y. SACK EXCHANGE

Devon Still, Anthony Johnson, Josh Martin, Jordan Jenkins, Bruce Carter, Leonard Williams, Patrick Gamble and Stanford had sacks for the Jets. Martin also had a fumble recovery.

GETTING A LEG UP

Chandler Catanzaro and Ross Martin are competing for the Jets' kicking job. Catanzaro made a PAT, but was wide left on a 55-yard field goal attempt in the second quarter.

QUOTEABLE

''Well, that was not the way we wanted to start the preseason, obviously,'' Titans coach Mike Mularkey said. ''But there were some good things defensively. Not offensively, even though we still had opportunities to win the game at the end.''

OUT OF THE LINEUP

Titans: Running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring), wide receivers Corey Davis (hamstring) and Mekale McKay, cornerback Demontre Hurst, defensive lineman Karl Klug (ankle) all sat out.

Jets: Running backs Matt Forte (hamstring), Bilal Powell (neck) and linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin did not play.

UP NEXT

Titans: Host Carolina on Saturday.

Jets: At Detroit on Saturday.

Comment

Goff leads early TD drive, LA Rams hold off Cowboys 13-10
                          August 12, 2017

LOS ANGELES (AP) Jared Goff led the Rams on a touchdown drive in the opening minutes, and backup kicker Travis Coons made a tiebreaking 36-yard field goal with 6:11 left in Los Angeles' 13-10 preseason victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday night.

Goff completed three of four passes for 34 yards while playing eight snaps in the opener for the Rams, who need the No. 1 overall pick in last year's draft to take a big step forward this fall.

The Rams punted after Goff's first three plays, but Josh Forrest recovered the Cowboys' muffed return. Robert Woods then caught Goff's pass and fumbled near the goal line moments later, but rookie Cooper Kupp recovered for a score.

Dak Prescott, Dez Bryant and Ezekiel Elliott were among several starters sitting out for the Cowboys, who didn't manage a first down until the second quarter.

Rookie Cooper Rush threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to tight end Rico Gathers in the third quarter while completing his first eight passes for the Cowboys. Gathers scored in his second straight game.

Sean Mannion went 18 of 25 for 144 yards while playing most of the game. The Rams' offense put up 271 yards in Sean McVay's first day on the sideline as the youngest head coach in modern NFL history.

Kellen Moore went 8 for 17 in the first half for the Cowboys, but the offense perked up for Rush, the four-year starter at Central Michigan. Rush also caught the eye of Dallas coach Jason Garrett during the Hall of Fame Game last week, and his exceptional touch on the TD throw to Gathers was undeniably impressive.

Rush went 9 of 11 for 104 yards.

BUTTERFINGERS: The Rams hung in despite alarming ball security. Los Angeles fumbled six times, but recovered its own fumble four times before losing the last two. Rookie running back Justin Davis looked good while running for 70 yards in his college stadium, but he also fumbled twice.

SPECTATORS:
                          Elliott and Prescott worked out on the Coliseum field before the game and then watched from the sideline in uniform. Elliott was given a six-game suspension by the NFL on Friday for injuring his girlfriend in July 2016.

BIG HIT: Dallas rookie Taco Charlton got his first sack, downing Mannion in the first quarter. The Michigan product took a bit of light criticism after a quiet debut in the Hall of Fame Game. ''It looked like he was making some strides,'' Garrett said.

NEW GUY: Rams receiver Sammy Watkins watched from the sideline in sweats after arriving in LA earlier in the day. The Rams traded a second-round pick and cornerback E.J. Gaines to Buffalo for the playmaking wideout. Watkins got a big ovation when he appeared on the scoreboard.

COOOOOP:
                          Kupp was busy in his first professional game, making two early catches for 35 yards and scoring LA's only touchdown while lining up all over McVay's formations. The Rams chose the prolific Eastern Washington product in the third round, hoping to add playmakers to the NFL's worst offense.

Comment

Sunday’s six-pack

— Blue Jays 7, Pirates 2— West Point graduate Chris Rowley wins his MLB debut.

— Mets traded 2B Neil Walker to the sliding Brewers, who need another bat.

— Boston 10, New York 5— Andrew Benitendi homered twice for the Red Sox.

— Indians 3, Tampa Bay 0— Rays were shut out in five of last eight games.

— On-track handle at Saratoga thoroughbred meet is up 8.6% from this time last year.

— DL happenings:

New York puts P Masahiro Tanaka (shoulder) on DL

Red Sox put 2B Dustin Pedroia (knee) on the DL

Blue Jays put C Russell Martin on the DL

Sunday’s List of 13: Clearing out a cluttered mind…….

13) There is only one cut in the NFL this summer, from 90 to 53 players on Labor Day weekend, which means that 1,184 guys will hit the streets all at once, and lesser teams will scurry around and try to improve their roster by adding guys the better teams release.

12) I’m thinking it hurts HBO’s Hard Knocks some that there is one less cut date; that is the best part of the program, watching coaches tell guys they didn’t make the team. Sad for the player but compelling TV— lot of times those players move on and play for other teams anyway.

11) St Louis Cardinals are first team to score 8+ runs in six straight wins since ’06 Braves.

10) Cardinals-Pirates are playing a game in Williamsport, PA next weekend, five miles from where the Little League World Series takes place.

Williamsport has a team in the Class A NY-Penn League, so there is a stadium in place there, unlike last year, when Marlins-Braves played a game on a military base in South Carolina, where a stadium was basically built for that game.

9) Tampa Bay Bucs traded up to draft Florida State kicker Roberto Aguayo in the 2016 Draft, but he’s been a disappointment and been beaten out by Nick Folk. Aguayo missed an extra point and a 47-year old FG Friday night— he got cut Saturday, which should make for an interesting scene on Hard Knocks Tuesday night.

8) If you’re not contending for a Wild Card spot in the American League, your team stinks, because some of the contending teams aren’t very good.

7) Pat O’Hara is a QB coach for the Houston Texans; he was in the terrific football movie Any Given Sunday, playing Dennis Quaid’s backup QB who also gets hurt, which forces Jamie Foxx’s (#3 QB) character into the game, where he becomes a star.

In real life, O’Hara was mostly a backup QB at USC; he played for seven different Arena League teams and has had a very interesting career. NFL Films should do a feature on him.

6) Total plays run from scrimmage in last February’s Super Bowl: Patriots 93, Falcons 46.

5) Cincinnati Bengal fans should be slow to criticize coach Marvin Lewis, who is 118-110-3 in 14 years as the Bengals’ coach, From 1984-2002, before Lewis took over, Cincy went 116-192 under four different head coaches. Be careful what you ask for……..

4) Denver Broncos have only one road game in the first six weeks this season; they have a bye and four home games, then play on road in Weeks 7-9, with a Week 8 Monday night game, then a Week 9 game in Philly six days later. Unusual schedule; Denver has a new head coach and very little experience at quarterback.

3) Consider the career of former NFL QB Tony Banks:
                            — From 1996-98, Banks went 14-29 as QB of the Rams. When they cut him loose after 1998, they won the Super Bowl in ’99 behind Kurt Warner, who backed up Banks in ’98.

— In 2000, Banks started the first eight games for the Ravens, going 5-3, but Games 7-8 were 10-3/14-6 losses, so Banks was replaced by Trent Dilfer……and the Ravens won the Super Bowl.

I’ll leave the facts there and let you make your own judgments.

2) Gregg Williams is the new defensive coordinator in Cleveland; he has his son Blake back on the coaching staff this year. Blake Williams was on the Rams’ coaching staff as linebackers’ coach in 2012, the year Gregg Williams was suspended by the NFL because of Bountygate, but apparently the other coaches couldn’t stand young Williams and he was shown the door.

1) If I was an NFL head coach (a frightening thought), my team would go for it on 4th down a lot and go for 2 after every TD in exhibition games. Games don’t matter; it is a good chance to get more plays to evaluate your players. Thats what these exhibition games and mainly for….that and ripping off fans who pay regular season prices to watch games that don’t matter.

Comment

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Time (ET) Away Home

1:30 PM Detroit Lions Indianapolis Colts

8:00 PM Seattle Seahawks Los Angeles Chargers

Sunday's Best Bet
                              August 11, 2017

Sunday NFL Best Bet
                              Seattle Seahawks vs. Los Angeles Chargers

Sportsbetting.ag Odds: Seattle (+1.5), L.A. Chargers (-1.5); Total set at 37.5

With their unceremonious departure from San Diego this spring now in the rear-view mirror, the Chargers era in L.A. officially begins on Sunday night with their first home preseason game. It will be the second straight night that football fans in L.A. will get to see NFL action (the Rams host Dallas on Saturday), as the battle for football supremacy in the City of Angels can officially begin.

After all, we've already heard about the fights that have happened this week with the two L.A. teams sharing a training camp, so it will be interesting to see what type of loyalties the L.A. football fans have to their two new squads this year.

But for our purposes, it's all about the Chargers and Seahawks here, with both teams opening up their preseason slate and having strong expectations for what 2017 may bring. On paper, Seattle is the much better team and are heavy favorites to win the NFC West, but the Seahawks aren't nearly as deep as they once were a few years ago at nearly every position on the field, and that can be a little problematic for Week 1 of the preseason.

Seattle has always put a big more priority on preseason results during the Pete Carroll era then most other teams do. Pete Carroll has a 30-14-1 ATS record over his last 45 preseason games and Seattle has gone 28-16 SU in those contests. While at first glance that might not support a bet on the Chargers this week, but much of that damage has been done by Seattle teams that were so much deeper across the board than the 2017 edition of the Seahawks.

Seattle's window of dominance in the NFC West is definitely getting closer and closer to being shut, and with depth being more of an issue these days (thanks to salary cap concerns as well), it means that Seattle's starters are likely going to see less and less time on the field in the preseason to avoid needlessly getting hurt.

Enter a Chargers team who is hoping to make a drastic improvement from their 5-11 SU season a year ago. The Chargers also know that even with it just being the preseason, making a strong, positive statement in their new home will go a long way. It's no secret that L.A. sports fans love a “winner” and with the Chargers coming over to L.A. from a rival city (in other sports) like San Diego, it's likely going to take some time for the Chargers to establish a die-hard fanbase.

L.A. fans already got a taste of NFL football a year ago with the Rams in town, and that year head start doesn't do the Chargers any favors either. But coming out in Week 1 of the preseason and establishing some credibility on the field will go a long way towards fans (and bettors) believing in them when the season starts.

The Chargers are also a hungrier team in terms of their depth chart with many starting positions still open to competition. That may not be a plus in the regular season, but preseason NFL bettors know that it's a good thing in August because you've got guys doing everything they can to get some good tape out there. A 5-11 SU season creates plenty of change on the field, and the Chargers will be out to put their best foot forward here.

Finally, it would be sloppy of me to not consider the current betting percentages on this game, and as of this writing it's about a 75/25 split in favor of the Seahawks. To me that reeks of NFL fans getting overly anxious for the season to start and projecting regular season potential onto early preseason games. That's typically not going to get your bankroll very far in August, especially when you consider that regarding this game specifically, there are other sportsbooks who have moved up to -2 for L.A. despite Seattle getting the bulk of the support.

That tells me all I need to know here, as I expect the L.A. Chargers to put their best foot forward in their new city.

Odds per - Sportsbetting.ag

Best Bet: L.A. Chargers (-1.5)

Comment

SUNDAY, AUGUST 13

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

DET at IND 01:30 PM

IND +1.0

U 36.0

SEA at LAC 08:00 PM

SEA +2.0

O 37.5

Comment

Working...
                                X