4 College Football Plays For Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 College Football Plays For Saturday

Went 3-1 Last week here at Bettors chat with wins on Oklahoma State -3.5, Texas A&M +3 and BYU/UCLA Under 49, while my lone loss was on Syracues +14. Let's keep it rolling this week.

BYU vs West Virginia

College football action on Saturday afternoon and the BYU Cougars will battle it out with the West Virginia Mountaineers from FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland. The Cougars are coming off a tough 17-14 loss at home to UCLA and are now just 1-2 on the year, while the Mountaineers are off a 38-21 win over Youngstown State and are now 2-0 on the year. These teams have never met.

What Happened To The BYU Ground Attack?

The BYU Cougars had plenty of talent returning this year, including QB Taysom Hill, but so far they have really struggled on offense and have lost two of their three games played. They come in off a tough 17-14 home loss to UCLA, which doesn’t really have a great defense and yet the Cougars were able to muster just 273 yards of total offense, including just 23 yards on the ground. Taysom Hill has missed all of or parts of the last two years and back in 2013 when he was healthy for the whole year they ran for 267 ypg. What happened to their ground attack? It’s a good question as they do have a solid OL and also have Jamaal Williams, who ran for 1988 yards in his first two years at BYU. He missed all of last year and parts of 2014, but is healthy again, but still the run game is non-existent.

BYU really need their run game to perk back up or they will be in for a very long year. The defense has been decent so far and they held UCLA to just 357 yards, including 50 on the ground, but still overall if they don’t find a way to score then they will end up having a very mediocre season and that would be a shame with all the talent they do have on this team. Overall on offense the Cougars check in at 105th in total offense (338.7 ypg), 78th in passing (212.3 ypg), 107th in rushing (126.3 ypg) and 119th in scoring (17.0 ppg). On defense they have been solid, ranking 49th in the nation in total defense (349.3 ypg), 78th in pass defense (238.0 ypg), 37th in run defense (111.3 ypg) and 31st in points allowed (17.7 ppg).

Skyler Howard Leads Mountaineers Over The Penguins

The West Virginia Mountaineers are 2-0 the year and they just beat Youngstown State 38-21, but the game was tied at 14 at the half before WVU took over after the break. QB Skyler Howard didn’t have a great game in the opener vs Missouri but came back strong vs the Penguins as he hit 20 of 33 passes for 389 yards with five TDs and just one INT. He didn’t have a TD pass vs Missouri but did have an INT vs them. The run game also was solid vs the Penguins as they rolled up 235 yards rushing in the game and at 5.1 yards per pop. Leading the attack on the ground was Rushel Shell, who had 84 yards, while Howard had 50. This can be a tough offense to defend, but they are taking on a solid BYU defense here, so something has to give.

Speaking of defense, the Mountaineers have not been great overall and allowed Youngstown State to pile up 405 yards on them, including 185 yards on the ground. The run defense has been shoddy so far and may be just what the doctor ordered for a struggling BYU ground attack. The Mountaineers enter this game ranked 7th in total offense (559.0 ypg), 18th in passing (321.0 ypg), 23rd in rushing (238.0 ypg) and 67th in scoring (32.0 ppg). On defense they check in at 99th in the nation in total defense (433.5 ypg), 94th in pass defense (251.0 ypg), 95th in run defense (182.5 ypg) and 21st in points allowed (16.0 ppg).

Trends

BYU is:

The Under is 18-7 in their last 25 games after accumulating less than 275 total yards in their previous game
    The Under is 6-1 in their last seven games after scoring less than 20 points in their previous game

West Virginia is:

The Under is 10-3 in their last 13 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game
    The Under is 7-1 in their last eight vs. a team with a losing record

Looking for a low scoring game in this one. The Mountaineers have a very good offense, but this BYU defense is solid and will be able to slow them down. The Cougars will also be able to keep the pace down in their game with their offense as they will run the ball a lot while huddling up and taking their time when they have the ball. The Cougars offense has really struggled this year and WVU has a good enough defense to keep it that way. This game may not reach 42 points.

Play BYU/ West Virginia Under 51.5

Miami-Oh vs Cincinnati

College football on Saturday afternoon and the Miami Redhawks will travel to Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio to battle it out with the Cincinnati Bearcats. The Redhawks are off a 31-24 loss to Western Kentucky, while the Bearcats feel 40-16 at home to the Houston Cougars in their last game. The Bearcats have won the last 10 games in this series SU, but Miami still leads the all-time series 27-26-1.

Redhawks Fall To The Hilltoppers In A Tight One

The Miami Ohio Redhawks were 3-9 last year, but are expected to have a better season as they have 16 starters back, including 10 on offense, but so far they are 0-3 to start the year. One of their losses was to Eastern Illinois, which is an FCS opponent and then they followed that up with a 31-24 loss against Western Kentucky last week. Still, that was far better than last year’s loss, which saw them fall 56-14 in that game. This is an improved team on the field, but we may not see it in the standings. Miami actually outgained the Hilltoppers 424-404 in the game and they had 339 yards passing vs them. Last year they threw for just 168 yards and were outgained by 278 yards vs the Hilltoppers. A big improvement and they are hoping for improvements in this game and that may actually give the win.

Last year Miami was 20 point dogs to the Bearcats and lost by just four points. They were outgained by 97 yards in the game, but had a very solid outing and were balanced on offense, putting up 220 yards on the ground and 228 yards through the air. Can they do it again? We shall see. Leading the offense has been QB Billy Bahl, who has thrown for 855 yards so far six TDs and just one INT. Overall on offense the Redhawks rank 69th in total offense (416.7 ypg), 28th in passing (285.0 ypg), 102nd in rushing (131.7 ypg) and 106th in scoring (20.7 ppg). On defense they check in ranked 66th in the nation in total defense (374.7 ypg), 56th in pass defense (211.3 ypg), 84th in run defense (163.3 ypg) and 97th in points allowed (32.3 ppg).

Bearcats Collapse In 4th Quarter To The Cougars

The Cincinnati Bearcats had a very good chance to knock off highly ranked Houston last week, but they just couldn’t close the deal. The Bearcats trailed just 12-10 heading to the 4th before taking a 16-12 lead, but after that, it was all Greg Ward Jr and the Houston defense as they outscored the Bearcats 28-0 the rest of the way. Greg Ward scored the first two TDs of that period and then QB Hayden Moore threw two pick sixes to seal their fate in the 40-16 loss. Moore did throw for 275 yards with two TDs in the game, and that was vs a very good Houston defense. The bigger problem for them in that game was their rushing offense, which was able to total just 30 yards on 25 carries for a 1.2 ypc average. It is very hard to run on that Houston defense. Tion Green had 150 yards rushing coming into the game to lead the team, but was able to must just 14 yards in the loss.

The other issue the Bearcats had in the game was their defense, which allowed 506 yards to the Cougars. That included allowed 326 yards through the air and their pass defense could haunt them here vs a decent Miami pass offense. The Bearcats are a solid team, but their defense will most likely cost them a few games this year, just like it did vs Houston. The Bearcats enter this game ranked 75th in total offense (406.3 ypg), 39th in passing (262.3 ypg), 94th in rushing defense (144.0 ypg) and 84th in scoring (27.3 ppg). On defense they check in at 104th in the nation in total defense (444.3 ypg), 115th in pass defense (291.0 ypg), 74th in run defense (153.3 ypg) and 54th in points allowed (22.3 ppg).

Trends

Miami- Ohio is:

9-2 ATS in their last 11 games after accumulating less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game
    5-1 ATS in their last six games following a straight up loss

Cincinnati is:

2-9 ATS in their last 11 non-conference games
    2-7 ATS in their last nine games in September

I like Miami to keep this one close. The Bearcats are off a tough loss to Houston last week as their defense really let them down and now they face a very good passing offense of the Redhawks. That passing game for Miami should allow them to keep it close. The last three games in this series has been decided and with a good Miami offense going up against a weak Cincinnati defense, this one should as well.

Play Miami +17 over Cincinnati

Two More Games I will Be Playing:

Northwestern +7.5 over Nebraska

California/ Arizona State Over 82

Good Luck Today Everyone
    Follow Me On Twitter @Davidhess311

good luck David

Comment

Hey David I've been posting since 2003 and rare did I or do I go in other threads because I believe in treating everyone the same I feel like if I do one I have to do all so usually keep to myself..............Great job on write ups and stuff you have there, Wish I could do that but not much I can say about my plays.............

I make my own lines one every game in every sport before I ever look at the lines on any game.............If the line is off a couple of points from mine, it's a play................I never watch games I bet and I never figure how much I bet or could Win.......I look at what I can lose sometimes if anything but never look at what I can Win..................

I love that N. West play today and one of the games I'm thing about adding money to...................Hope you hit them All, Knock!

Comment

Thanks very much guys. Lets have a great Saturday

Comment

Good Luck David!

Comment

Thanks Monte. GL to you as well

Comment

Working...
            X