Pro bowl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro bowl question

Why is this total down from 78 to 66? I thought these exhibitions usually flew over the total. Is the game formatted differently now? I know about the Team Irvin and Team Carter as opposed to AFC v. NFC, but are they playing 8-minute qtrs with no clock stoppage? How does this not soar over 66 at halftime?

I think you might have answered your own question.15 min down to 8 and clock keeps running?Sounds like a quicker game.Only thing that worries me,is will they hit,tackle,or play defense?.Good luck whatever you do.

Comment

Here's the reason Mark....

Five rule changes you need to know

1. No kickoffs: If you tune into the Pro Bowl five minutes late, you won't miss the opening kickoff because there's not going to be an opening kickoff. Instead, there will be a coin toss to determine who gets first possession of the ball.

The opening possession will begin at the 25-yard line. All possessions that come after scoring plays will also begin at the 25-yard line.

On a somewhat related note, I should point out Pat McAfee is in the Pro Bowl, so I'm guessing the NFL put the "No kickoff" rule in for the safety of the returners.

2. Narrower uprights: You might remember that during the preseason the NFL moved extra points back 13-yards, so instead of being snapped from the 2-yard line, the ball was snapped from the 15-yard line. Well, that will be happening again, but that's not the only challenge that kickers will have to deal with.

Pro Bowl kickers Adam Vinatieri and Cody Parkey are also going to have to deal with narrower uprights. For the Pro Bowl, the uprights will be narrowed from their regular width of 18-feet, 6-inches to 14-feet. According to the Associated Press, the uprights will be moved back to their normal width for field goals.

3. More timeouts: We probably don't need a game with more timeouts, but we're getting it anyway. For the Pro Bowl, each team will be given two timeouts per quarter, so they'll have a total of eight timeouts for the entire game at their disposal. During regular season games, teams are given three timeouts per half.

Teams in the Pro Bowl will also have have carry-over timeouts. If a timeout isn't used in the first or third quarter, it can carry-over to the second or fourth quarter. Only one timeout can carry-over per quarter, so the most timeouts a team could have in the second or fourth quarter is three.

4. More two-minute warnings and alternating possessions: If you love the two-minute warning, then you're going to love this rule: During the Pro Bowl, there will be a two-minute warning in every quarter.

The NFL's hope is that this means the teams will use a two-minute offense at the end of the quarter. The reason the team with the ball will want to use a two-minute offense is because they won't be getting the ball back in the next quarter. The ball will change possession at the end of each quarter, so if Team Irvin has the ball at the 40-yard line when the clock hits zero at the end of the first quarter, they'll lose possession and Team Carter will start the second quarter with the ball at their own 25-yard line.

5. Crazy game-timing: Remember those extra two-minute warnings, there's some added spice that comes along with those. If a team calls a running play with under two minutes left and doesn't gain at least one yard, the clock will stop as if an incomplete pass was thrown on the play. If this were in a real game, it would reward a defense for stopping a team trying to run out the clock. It would also prevent teams from kneeling down because they'd have to gain at least one yard.

Another clock quirk? The clock will run after incomplete passes in the Pro Bowl, but only after the ref sets the ball. This is basically what happens in college football on a first down. The clock briefly stops until the ref sets the ball.

Teams will also only get a 35-second play clock as opposed to a typical 40-second play clock.

Defenses in the Pro Bowl will also be allowed to play cover-2 and press coverages, something that had been outlawed before. Previously, man coverage was the only defense allowed.
      [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

check out #5 from above...
        [email protected]

Comment

1) no kickoff returns eliminates big play returns but won't waste clock
          2) narrow uprights and 32-yd xp attempts shouldn't phase a professional
          3) more timeouts and carryover timeouts helps offense
          4) 2-min warning every qtr will entice more points
          5) clock runs after incompletion after ball is set hurts the over but college games fly over all the time and that's the case there. Also, the 35-second play clock will save time.

Comment

Cover 2 and press defense might help the under. Instead of man defense.

But this could definitely take points off the board -------> (The reason the team with the ball will want to use a two-minute offense is because they won't be getting the ball back in the next quarter. The ball will change possession at the end of each quarter)
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
              Cover 2 and press defense might help the under. Instead of man defense.

But this could definitely take points off the board -------> (The reason the team with the ball will want to use a two-minute offense is because they won't be getting the ball back in the next quarter. The ball will change possession at the end of each quarter)
              Yes, and Andy Dalton (the 7th alternate) will definitely help with the under.

Comment

Never knew this very good info.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLemke View Post
                  [email protected]

Comment

I still think, even with the changes, that it could easily go over the total. Just my opinion....
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
                      I still think, even with the changes, that it could easily go over the total. Just my opinion....
                      Me too. I'll still play it for shits and gigs.

Comment

Last year's pro bowl opened up at 87 and got all the way up to 94.5 (something like that) and it stayed well under. This is just probably public over reaction

Comment

This 2 minute changing hands concept is whacky...
                          [email protected]

Comment

Man. You weren't kidding. Were you?
                            [email protected]

Comment

In all seriousness
                              How is Andy Dalton an NFL QB much less a pro bowl QB??

I'm dead serious, the dude is worthless
                              Questions, comments, complaints:
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X