World Cup Day #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Day #2

First, I want to apologize to everyone that followed yesterday and lost on Croatia, I really thought we had that won especially when they took the lead.....and that Japanese ref is an entirely different issue. Anyway, moving onto day #2....

12:00 p.m.
    Mexico vs. Cameroon
    ***Over 2 goals total (-110)

I have flipped on this game so many times in the past day that I'm going to stay away from picking a side and take the over 2 total as I think both of these teams are vulnerable at the back and both have some very skilled players capable of creating chances and producing a few goals. One part of me thinks that Cameroon's speed and physicaltiy combined with Mexico's sense of success by just qualifying this time is enough to see the Africans win this, but on the other hand, Cameroon has the tendency to lose discipline and focus and often results in them conceding goals and Mexico is strong enough to capitalize.....plus Mexico has advanced out of the group stage the last 5 world cups which is saying something and we can't overlook the fact of them having a bit of an advantage in terms of the climate/location. The play for me is the over here.

I'll get the other two games out here shortly. Good luck if you follow fellas.

3:00 p.m.
    Spain v. Netherlands
    ***Spain ML (-126)

I really like Spain in this spot. The defedning champions and winners of the last three major international contests are flying under the radar somewhat this time around and I think that is great advantage for them. Secondly, they are going to be starting 7 or 8 players from the 2010 World Cup final, but with a twist in that they are going to play a bit more direct and move away from their boring posession, pass,pass, pass style. In fact, there were teams in those aforementioned tournaments where Spain didn't even utilize a striker and played with 6 midfielders. This time around Spain add former Brazilian international (never played in a real game for them) Diego Costa to the mix. Costa is a big clinical finisher and will allow Spain to play more direct and serve as a point man up front. I watched Spain play this way in a warm up against El Salvador and they really looked dangerous albeit against a weak opponent. The Dutch are the Dutch and will field a strong team, the problem for the Dutch is that there 3 best players are all playing up front and that means there can be long spellls in the game where they are not going to be involved in the game and not have the ball. I think Spain is going to do what they want with the ball and hopefully a few timely finishes on the chances that are sure to come will be enough to get the win. Make no mistake though that if Spain don't show up, Van Persie, Sneijder and Robben are deadly in front of goal and are all world class players.....and the Duthc will certainly want revenge for the last time around but I just think Spain is too complete of a team and the addition of a real striker makes them even more intriguing.

Comment

Good luck brother!

Comment

6:00 p.m.
        Chile v. Australia
        ****Chile -1 (-120)

Chile has been one of my dark horse picks for months leading up to the World Cup and that isn't going to change now. Chile is very skilled and plays an exciting, fast tempo game that should spell lopsided possession numbers in this game. Alexis Sanchez is Chile's guy and coming off an in form season at Barcelona he looks primed to have a huge World Cup. I really don't see Australia having any answers for him and the quicker more skilled Chile players. Having said that, Australia is a big team and boasts a few very tall players includijng Chelsea man Tim Cahill. Cahill, traditionally a centerback and a defesnive player most of his career has moved up the field on the national team and can be deadly in the air and always seems to score goals for his country. This game is really an ultimate clash of styles and I think Australia may produce a goal in this game from a corner or a set piece but I just think Chile has too much of the ball and is too skilled to put a few past the Australians. I can see a 3-1, 4-1 type of game. I am by no means overlooking Australia and think they've come a long way, but the task here is too tall. Additionally, these teams know that Spain and Holland are up next in group play and to have any chance of advancing 3 points and a win are vital here. I think this fact means that Australia leaves itself open and that spells danger.

Comment

thx KB, hopefully the refs let the players decide the games today

Comment

Geez...starting early today. Linesman just took a goal away from Mexico 11 minutes in on another missed call. And FIFA wonders why they have no credibility....

Comment

Are the refs really going to fuck us again today??? Two disallowed goals by Mexico already

Comment

Officiating has been downright disgraceful....this game could have went over easily in the first half

Comment

Working...
                X